Christian Churches Supporting Homosexuals

Richhamleigh, DC

That little church that goes around carying those signs should be ashamed of what it's promoting. Satan works through people, and there is no doubt he's working through those people by making them think they're doing right. They're not.

Its true...Satan does work through the church and the biggest devils are in the church. If im not mistaken the anti-christ in the book of Revelation is "a man of God" Ever since Eve ate of the fruit, the devil is still good at deceieving.

I personally think its blaspemous to say God hates anyone. If a person has a hatred for people, they need to leave God's name out of it. To often man uses God's name to support their personal belief system or agenda. We see it with the terrorist. They are blowing themselves up killing thousands of people all in the name of Ali.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its true...Satan does work through the church and the biggest devils are in the church. If im not mistaken the anti-christ in the book of Revelation is "a man of God" Ever since Eve ate of the fruit, the devil is still good at deceieving.

Hey, why not... in church he has a captive audience of people willing to be brainwashed. Not in all cases, but in many that I've experience firsthand.

I personally think its blaspemous to say God hates anyone.

I agree 100%.

My wife's mother is a Jehovah's Witness... now there's a naive bunch. And they're the most outspoken bunch against every "sin." They don't smoke, they shave daily, they don't grow their hair long, they drink only in extremely limited quantities, they don't lie, cuss, cheat, steal, etc. And my mother-in-law won't come right out and say "hate," because "hate is a sin," but she very strongly dislikes homosexuals. She did finally admit recently, though, that "homosexuals are some of the nicest people." Duh. lol

I've grown up around Jehovah's Witnesses my entire life. They are the most sincere loving people I've ever met. Of all religions out there I respect them the most. They really walk the walk. Jehovahs Witnesses do consider homosexuality a sin. But as in my arguements before, they only consider it a sin, because it's a sexual act outside of the "plan of god". They have the same standards for homosexuals as they do for guys and girls getting their jollies on outside of wedlock. It's all the same to them. I would definately say they can be naive. But it's what happens when you shut yourself off from the world. However the word "hate" is not in their vocabulary. Take it from a homosexual, Jehovahs' Witnesses hate noone. They simply have standards they live by. And while noone is perfect, they don't exclude people from anything. They may limit someone who's living a life of sin, to having priveleges in a congregation.

It doesn't bother me when religions have standards. I guess partly because it doesn't bother me to say, I am a sinner. What angers me passionately, is when religions have double standards, ostracize one group, while essentially condoning the acts of another. You won't find that with the witnesses.

there's more people than just that phelps guy and his "church" (aka, his family) saying god hates gays. i have to say, i find baptists to be highly amusing, especially when it comes to their naivety. i spent the past several days at a conference for higher ed IT and i hung out with a few... they don't drink, so they assume anyone who does is drunk off of 1 drink. they think people who party and drink a lot are alcoholics. they think people who hang out with gays are questionable (i went to a gay bar with a few of the people while i was here). and then there's the whole no dancing thing, which is just really odd to me.

call me crazy, but that's not morals, that's dictatorship. i grew up catholic and i think they worship a different god and a different jesus than i was taught about. jesus gave people wine for crying out loud. i was always taught that christianity meant accepting everyone for who they are... not accepting gays is against christianity. jesus's best friend was a prostitute. i think those christians who don't accept everyone are a bit hypocritical.

I've never met such a closed minded, hateful, hypocritical people as the Babtists I've met. I can say this because my family once went to a Baptist church.. we stopped that after we found out what the people were really like.. I mean, really like, underneath all the cover of Godliness and "love."

First of all, they believe the Bible word for word when it comes to things like creation and revelation.. but when they say wine, they somehow, apparently meant grape juice. Where did I miss the memo on that one? Somebody should tell Jesus.. cuz he apparently didn't get it either. The pastor was pretty good.. he preached the word of God... that God was love and that God hated nobody. That pastor has a large group service every Friday night for alcoholics and drug addicts and he regularly goes to the jails in the area and preaches there. He's very dedicated and he certainly doesn't hate anybody. And he doesn't kick people out of his church for voting democrat, either.

Buty this just leaves me to the conclusion that many Baptists are just hateful, close-minded people to begin with that search out a church that sort of agrees with their closed-minded, very political agenda. These are the people that drove me away and made me ashamed to goto a Baptist church.

Oh, don't get me wrong.. the people are very friendly and open.. as long as you are just like them. And I found the saddest thing to be the people tearing themselves apart because of things like a divorce.. hey, it happens! It's not a nice thing, and it'd be nice if it would happen less, but don't go off condemning yourself to hell because your spouse wasn't completely honest from the beginning.

But then they would freak out and have nervous breakdowns over thigns like "Oh my word! My daughter is going into 7th grade, and she wants to go to the middle school, the PUBLIC middle school!!! OH, I just couldn't bear my sweet little Godly daughter leaving the confines of our house and her church friends to get a normal education at the PUBLIC SCHOOL!!!!"

Oh dear! Public schools sure are responsible for all those evil, horrible, straight-to-hell without a minute of purgatory east coast intellectualist liberals... :w00t::w00t::wacko:

I've grown up around Jehovah's Witnesses my entire life. They are the most sincere loving people I've ever met. Of all religions out there I respect them the most. They really walk the walk. Jehovahs Witnesses do consider homosexuality a sin. But as in my arguements before, they only consider it a sin, because it's a sexual act outside of the "plan of god". They have the same standards for homosexuals as they do for guys and girls getting their jollies on outside of wedlock. It's all the same to them. I would definately say they can be naive. But it's what happens when you shut yourself off from the world. However the word "hate" is not in their vocabulary. Take it from a homosexual, Jehovahs' Witnesses hate noone. They simply have standards they live by. And while noone is perfect, they don't exclude people from anything. They may limit someone who's living a life of sin, to having priveleges in a congregation.

It doesn't bother me when religions have standards. I guess partly because it doesn't bother me to say, I am a sinner. What angers me passionately, is when religions have double standards, ostracize one group, while essentially condoning the acts of another. You won't find that with the witnesses.

You bring up a good point. If there's one thing a Jehovah's Witness is not, it's hypocritical. They truly are the most pure of any religious group I've met... they definitely do walk the walk as you said. And if they're caught not walking the walk, they will likely be shunned by the group and disfellowshipped. Definitely a naive bunch if I've ever seen one, but pure in their beliefs and the way they live up to their beliefs no doubt.

Why do religious people put so much emphasis on homosexuality, when it's not by far the biggest battle they face. Or did I miss that part in Corinthians, you know the scripture that talks about those who won't inherit the kingdom, Adulterors, theives, murderers, and yes if we are quoting scripture, men who lie with men. But will one of you religious types point out where it says that hell burns just a little hotter for those big nelly queers? It doesn't! In fact any sexual act outside the plan of God is a sin. It's all the same thing. So why do you all go around giving a pass to a guy and a girl that randomly hook up and have promiscuous immoral liasons, while you wage war on homosexuals? This society has already mainstreamed behavior outside of wedlock. And you say that it's the homosexuals who drive it down. Being around gay people might open youthful eyes. But are you going to ignore the fact that most young people are not gay, and there are hundreds of millions of people in our society, who go around and do whatever they want whenever they want. Why don't you stop and take notice of what you all are doing, focus on your own sins, and leave other people alone.

The hypocrasy of it all astounds me.

Well put, MJLO

..not to mention the can of worms that will be opened when the biblical scholars confirm all our Bible's translation errors.

• 1 month later...

Even the Baptists aren't bigots in Washington State:)

Washington State is so damn liberal, it's hard to describe~~~the liberalism even seeps into the minds of church folks:)

Years ago two Baptist churches in Seattle got into disagreements with their peers from across the country and we're disassociated.....typical of the Baptist "tow the line, or else" view of things.

Capitol Hill Baptist Church in Seattle is extremely liberal and welcomes/honours diversity. They have church sponsored gay groups too.

I lived in the South for 40 years, and experienced the Baptist religion enough for ten lifetimes. To each his own, and I don't give a damn if people wanna worship Santa or Buddha, or even the Tooth Fairy. Makes no difference to me. The only problem I have is when religious leaders attempt to change society through political influence.

The capital of that is Jacksonville, Fla. Baptists there are especially mean, intolerant, bull-headed and full of hate toward gays. Most of the Baptist churches in Jax wouldn't even let a gay person through the door, if they knew it was a gay person.

N.C. Baptists were nowhere as callous. But I still feel the Baptist church is the biggest threat to freedom in the South, and should be monitored carefully. Lest we start seeing Governor Jerry Falwell, or someone who thinks like him in the South.....

Even the Baptists aren't bigots in Washington State:)

Washington State is so damn liberal, it's hard to describe~~~the liberalism even seeps into the minds of church folks:)

N.C. Baptists were nowhere as callous. But I still feel the Baptist church is the biggest threat to freedom in the South, and should be monitored carefully. Lest we start seeing Governor Jerry Falwell, or someone who thinks like him in the South.....

And yet with it's being so liberal, their court just rejected gay marraige rights....

and I agree with you on the Baptist church, but I will take it one step further and say the Southern Baptist Organization.

For what its worth, Myers Park Baptist Church is very liberal and gay welcoming. They have supported Gay Bingo HIV fundraising and have always had an open door policy. Which is surprising and commendable considering their neighborhood and demographic. Wedgewood Baptist on Tyvola is gay friendly and to throw in some diversity, this Gay Jew points out That Temple Beth El at Shalom Park on Providence is one of the most gay friendly and progressive Reform temples in the country let alone the South. Has gay leaders and a strong gay support group.

I'm not sure who compiled the list, but I can think of more than 8 gay-friendly churches in Columbia, let alone only 8 in the entire state of South Carolina. Someone mention the United Church of Christ (UCC), earlier, as being gay-friendly. They are so gay-friendly that the Metropolitan Community Church in Columbia left MCC to become a UCC. I also know the biggest in-town Lutheran church here is very gay-friendly and has been the home of a gay Lutheran group for years, the same with the largest in-town Episcopal church, the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, the Society of Friends (Quakers) and a number of others. The Quakers are totally awesome people.

A former post mentioned the Supreme Court of Washington States's decision against gay marriage. Many people throughout the state thought the ruling would be the other way.

The ruling was 5-4. In 1986 the Hardwick case (the famous Georgia sodomy case) was brought before the US Supreme Court. The decision was also 5-4, and let states continue their anti-gay sex laws.

However recently a similar case was brought before the Supremes, and the new ruling was 6-3 in favor of letting individuals decide who they want to have sex with.

Before long gay marriage will be before Washington State's Court again. That 5-4 will eventually go the other way------ 6-3, or 7-2, mark my words. And then gays from all over the country will flock to Seattle, as said earlier:)

Actually I've always predicted that Oregon will be the first state outside Mass to have gay marriages. Oregon has always been in the vanguard of social equality. The first state to give women the vote!

I'm just amazed to hear these wonderful things about Columbia!

And a cool mayor too.......

When I was a teenager in the 1970s, Columbia was B*A*C*K*W*A*R*D. These days it sure doesn't sound that way at all:)

Yeah....Columbia was also the first city in South Carolina to have an anti-discrimination ordinance including sexual orientation and we opened the first Gay & Lesbian Community Center in the Carolinas. It's still open and the mortgage is paid off. I lived in Columbia in the 70's and, while it's come a long way since then, I don't know if I'd say it was backwards.

Speaking of Columbia's mayor, did you know that Charlotte's mayor was asked to speak at this year's HRC Banquet in Charlotte, but he refused and Mayor Bob came to the rescue by driving up from Columbia on short notice. I've always known that Bob was gay-friendly, but that was above and beyond the call of duty. He also spoke at Pride in Columbia this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Oooh, Im so glad I found a topic like this. Its time for me to vent! <_<:angry:

What does the Bible really teach about homosexuality?

1. The Bible barely mentions homosexuality. Its mentioned about 5-6 times throughout the whole Bible and guess who never mentions it??? JESUS!!!! As Christians, we are supposed to be fololowers of who? JESUS, and if he never mentions homosexuality... well... something just rings a bell in my brain!!! You know what he explicitly mentions? DIVORCE!!! Churches dont condemn those "dirty" divorcers!

2. In none of these passages where homosexuality is mentioned is it the main teaching. Its always part of a larger teaching. This means its never the main focus or that its a big issue.

3. All of these texts about homosexuality are "troubled texts" meaning that the message isnt blunt. It requires interpretation. When things are open to interpretation, they often get misinterpreted!

4. Our modern view of homosexuality isnt shared with those who lived in Biblical times. Like many things, TIMES HAVE CHANGED!!! Like I mentioned earlier, you dont see people getting stoned for divorce, prostitution, or sex before marriage...

5. Jesus does embrace two sexual minorities of his day. These were Eunachs. They were men who were unable to perform sexually or were castrated. So, reason I mentioned this, is that this dispells the myth that God doesnt like those who arent part of "Gods creation plan". God created diversity. He loves, not hates.

6. Times have changed. The Bible didnt dismiss slavery. Or servants. If we living by the Bible, slavery wouldnt be completely gone. Im sure everyone agrees that slavery is a thing of the 17th, 18th, and 19th century. Not the 20th or 21st.

Ok, now for a little more of my insight. I would like to raise the question, "What ever happened to a seperation between church and state?" If we were actually living up to our own rules, gay marriage wouldnt be an issue. Marriage should not be a government institution to begin with! Our government should have been granting civil unions from the time we started this country because marriage IS a religious thing. It should have been dealt with through the churches. But our government has no authority denying financial benefits, legal benefits, and the authority to show your love for someone to people based on their sexual orientation. Thats called discrimination, and again, I believe we have a law against that! Wasnt that passed in 1965? Isnt it called the Civil Rights Law?

Growing up, I always heard from my mother that the reason why Rome fell was because there were too many homosexuals and God didnt like them. This is bull$hit! The reason why Rome fell, and Greece for the same fact, is because of political corruption and inflated egos. The Romans and Greeks felt that they couldnt be stopped and that they could do what they want! Sound familiar? Hello!!! United States of America! Were heading straight to where Rome and Greece headed. Not because of gays, but because of political corruption and a lack of humility. Possibly because the governments stopped caring for and loving their citizens? I dont know...

Yes, I am gay, and this is part of the reason I take this topic to heart. But I honestly believe that if I were straight, and as smart as I am, I would feel the same about homosexuality, maybe not as passionately, but still. Conservative and Liberal are both words disguised as the word "stupid." Same as "Democrat" and "Republican." Not every situation deserves a liberal or conservative answer, or an American one for that matter. I believe no one person or group of people have the right whatsoever to make decisions for others, especially ones like this, along with abortion, drug use, or where to send our military troops. That is called political corruption (making decisons for the citizens when we live in a democracy). Its wrong that gays feel they should have to go to a city where they can live without as much discrimination. We need more places like Vermont... :-). And... It should be our right to freedom and the pursuit of happiness.

Im sorry this is SO long, please read it twice and make sure youve read everything right before commenting and sorry if I offended anyone...

Thanks for sharing Randy:)

Personally I see the cause of modern day homophobia and anti-gay bias as sitting on the doorsteps of fanatical x-tian churches.

Have you ever known any vabid, anti-gay atheists? I haven't. But I've know way way too many x-tians who hate all sorts of people.

Of course our government has a religious bias! All sorts of repressive x-tian philosophies are incoded into American laws. Separation of church and state in our country is a popular myth.

When I moved to Jacksonville, Florida in 1979 I was astonished to find out that beer, wine and booze couldn't be sold in the city limits ON SUNDAY! Now what could the justification possibly be to have a legal product banned from sale on Sundays, unless because it's a "religious day"??????

I still say, keep religion in church, and out of politics. It corrupts.

Oooh, Im so glad I found a topic like this. Its time for me to vent! <_<:angry:

What does the Bible really teach about homosexuality?

1. The Bible barely mentions homosexuality. Its mentioned about 5-6 times throughout the whole Bible and guess who never mentions it??? JESUS!!!! As Christians, we are supposed to be fololowers of who? JESUS, and if he never mentions homosexuality... well... something just rings a bell in my brain!!! You know what he explicitly mentions? DIVORCE!!! Churches dont condemn those "dirty" divorcers!

2. In none of these passages where homosexuality is mentioned is it the main teaching. Its always part of a larger teaching. This means its never the main focus or that its a big issue.

3. All of these texts about homosexuality are "troubled texts" meaning that the message isnt blunt. It requires interpretation. When things are open to interpretation, they often get misinterpreted!

4. Our modern view of homosexuality isnt shared with those who lived in Biblical times. Like many things, TIMES HAVE CHANGED!!! Like I mentioned earlier, you dont see people getting stoned for divorce, prostitution, or sex before marriage...

5. Jesus does embrace two sexual minorities of his day. These were Eunachs. They were men who were unable to perform sexually or were castrated. So, reason I mentioned this, is that this dispells the myth that God doesnt like those who arent part of "Gods creation plan". God created diversity. He loves, not hates.

6. Times have changed. The Bible didnt dismiss slavery. Or servants. If we living by the Bible, slavery wouldnt be completely gone. Im sure everyone agrees that slavery is a thing of the 17th, 18th, and 19th century. Not the 20th or 21st.

Ok, now for a little more of my insight. I would like to raise the question, "What ever happened to a seperation between church and state?" If we were actually living up to our own rules, gay marriage wouldnt be an issue. Marriage should not be a government institution to begin with! Our government should have been granting civil unions from the time we started this country because marriage IS a religious thing. It should have been dealt with through the churches. But our government has no authority denying financial benefits, legal benefits, and the authority to show your love for someone to people based on their sexual orientation. Thats called discrimination, and again, I believe we have a law against that! Wasnt that passed in 1965? Isnt it called the Civil Rights Law?

Growing up, I always heard from my mother that the reason why Rome fell was because there were too many homosexuals and God didnt like them. This is bull$hit! The reason why Rome fell, and Greece for the same fact, is because of political corruption and inflated egos. The Romans and Greeks felt that they couldnt be stopped and that they could do what they want! Sound familiar? Hello!!! United States of America! Were heading straight to where Rome and Greece headed. Not because of gays, but because of political corruption and a lack of humility. Possibly because the governments stopped caring for and loving their citizens? I dont know...

Yes, I am gay, and this is part of the reason I take this topic to heart. But I honestly believe that if I were straight, and as smart as I am, I would feel the same about homosexuality, maybe not as passionately, but still. Conservative and Liberal are both words disguised as the word "stupid." Same as "Democrat" and "Republican." Not every situation deserves a liberal or conservative answer, or an American one for that matter. I believe no one person or group of people have the right whatsoever to make decisions for others, especially ones like this, along with abortion, drug use, or where to send our military troops. That is called political corruption (making decisons for the citizens when we live in a democracy). Its wrong that gays feel they should have to go to a city where they can live without as much discrimination. We need more places like Vermont... :-). And... It should be our right to freedom and the pursuit of happiness.

Im sorry this is SO long, please read it twice and make sure youve read everything right before commenting and sorry if I offended anyone...

Gotta love how much we pick and choose what's right and wrong.

Gotta love how much we pick and choose what's right and wrong.

It's really not about what's right and wrong, it's about what issues people like George Bush, Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson use to separate people and create an enemy so they can raise money to support their own egos.

Political corruption my friends.... and its going to be the fall of this great nation... its sad... I love home... (for the most part) and couldnt see it changing, but something says in my head that something big is going to happen soon! Who knows? O well, Good night everyone! And thanks for supporting this forum!

Our modern view of homosexuality isn't shared with those who lived in Biblical times... or rather in the medieval times when one morality was imposed without democracy, anywhere to anyone. Today 99 % of our society would be sent at the garroting, wheel or fire. :rolleyes:

Why Rome fell ? Another major reason is that people refused to pay taxes in the 5th century. Nobody wanted to be tax officials because they were killed sometimes.

Archived