New to Memphis

memphman

This thread is disturbing. I think it's funny that many of the Memphis boosters on this site feel the need to do to Nashville EXACTLY what they claim is done to Memphis while boostering Memphis ("Nashville has great characteristics of many cities and none of itself"). So I guess all those who enjoy Second Avenue, Broadway, Vandy, the Hermitage, great joints like Tootsies, Centennial and Bicentennial Parks, and all of the great aspects of Nashville should just realize that these are characteristics that Nashville apparently imitated from other places trying to "find it's own identity?!?!?" If Nashville has no characteristics of it's own because similar elements are mirrored in other cities then, guess what, the same thing could be said about Memphis. After all, it's not the only place in the South with walkable urban neighborboods, rich blues history, and grit.

Let's get real, folks. Nashville has an identity. Memphis has an identity. If you prefer the latter, that's fine, but claiming the former doesn't exist because you prefer the latter is foolish and sounds as mean-spirited as many of you claim Nashvillians as being. As much as some Nashvillians like to put Memphis down, Memphians like to put Nashville down as well. It's what happens when the two largest cities of a medium-sized states are around the same size. But what seems to be even more prevalent around these parts is Memphis posters constantly using Nashville as a judging stick for where Memphis is going. This thread was a prime example. There was bascially no reason to call out other cities while exalting Memphis yet it happened. I encourage many of you to visit the Nashville forum where you will see that Nashvillians are not doing the same with Memphis.

Nashville certainly has its character, but Memphis' is much more open about it (2nd only to New Orleans IMO). I'm always comparing Memphis and Nashville because those are the two cities I, and some of our forumers, know best. If you read some of my posts over on the Nashville forum, I compare things Nashville should do that are similar to Memphis, much like I compare what Memphis should do thats done in Nashville. I also compare Memphis to cities like Detroit and London, not because those are the cities that we should use as a judging stick but rather what they did right (and wrong) and how we should try to emulate them. How many Nashville posters are familar enough with Memphis to compare? I think if the Nashville forumers were transplants from Memphis, you would start to see more comparisions between the two cities.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what seems to be even more prevalent around these parts is Memphis posters constantly using Nashville as a judging stick for where Memphis is going.

I know I'm new to this, but I have to point out something about this statement. From my talks to people in Nashville, it seems that they base their city on Memphis. While I was deciding which city to come to and talking to people within my organization, they constantly pointed out the good things of Nashville saying "you just can't get that in Memphis!" One guy even went so far and told me I would have to commute from Jackson to avoid living in 'the ghetto' <_< So it seems to me that they strive to be "better" than Memphis in my opinion. I don't wanna go back and forth on this issue, but I did notice that about a lot of people up there. I started this topic to express how I instantly fell in love with a great city and thats all.

This thread is disturbing. I think it's funny that many of the Memphis boosters on this site feel the need to do to Nashville EXACTLY what they claim is done to Memphis while boostering Memphis ("Nashville has great characteristics of many cities and none of itself"). So I guess all those who enjoy Second Avenue, Broadway, Vandy, the Hermitage, great joints like Tootsies, Centennial and Bicentennial Parks, and all of the great aspects of Nashville should just realize that these are characteristics that Nashville apparently imitated from other places trying to "find it's own identity?!?!?" If Nashville has no characteristics of it's own because similar elements are mirrored in other cities then, guess what, the same thing could be said about Memphis. After all, it's not the only place in the South with walkable urban neighborboods, rich blues history, and grit.

Let's get real, folks. Nashville has an identity. Memphis has an identity. If you prefer the latter, that's fine, but claiming the former doesn't exist because you prefer the latter is foolish and sounds as mean-spirited as many of you claim Nashvillians as being. As much as some Nashvillians like to put Memphis down, Memphians like to put Nashville down as well. It's what happens when the two largest cities of a medium-sized states are around the same size. But what seems to be even more prevalent around these parts is Memphis posters constantly using Nashville as a judging stick for where Memphis is going. This thread was a prime example. There was bascially no reason to call out other cities while exalting Memphis yet it happened. I encourage many of you to visit the Nashville forum where you will see that Nashvillians are not doing the same with Memphis.

The poster who started this thread saying those things about Nashville has been in Memphis all of 1 and 1/2 months. For all I kinow, he's not even from Tennessee and may not know either Memphis or Nashville very well.

But he's not from Memphis.

Well he only has a few posts, I'm not sure he meant to start all this. I would wager to guess he did not. Of course this type of thread only degrades if we allow it. As of now its fine, if a little controversial with some of the comments made.

We get this type of thread going every now and again, then it just goes away.

Who is this guy? :huh: Hes turning our forums into ones like charlotte and raleigh, where they argue all the time. We don't want to be like them. Be happy. :)

Well I'm not trying to start a Memphis vs. every other city thread but I honestly probably would've never heard of Charlotte if it wasn't for the Hornets and Panthers. I'm sure its a nice city but I don't know anything about it.

When I moved to Nashville, I also heard some anti-Memphis things like "Memphis is a city of Jefferson Avenues" and the obvious "Memphis is full of prostitues, gangs, etc." Even on Nashville tv (ch 5 I think), they actually had a story on Memphis roads being dangerous :lol:

I don't think many people on this forum have the same sediment as the Nashvillians who haven't visited but hear some of the suburbanites who whine about how Memphis is the ghetto. Anyways, I think its probably time for this thread to die. Welcome to Memphis and hope you keep posting!

If you're looking for the city with the best landscape, you should've chosen Little Rock. Parts of city are relatively flat, but most are very hilly and even mountainous. A lot of people move from Memphis to Little Rock for the scenery. Little Rock as a city is approaching 200,000 and North Little Rock is about 60,000. The two cities operate as one. NLR is not a suburb by any means. The metro area is about 700,000, the CSA is right at 1,000,000. So, it's not as small as you might think. Most people are very surprised at how urban it is here. I love traveling to Memphis and Nashville, but Little Rock is the most scenic of the 3...it's a great mix of urban life and nature. Beautiful Hot Springs is about 45 minutes from here with mountains, lakes, a national park, a theme park, and many other attractions.

Should've chosen Little Rock! :)

You should check out the Arkansas forum for pictures of Little Rock.

Memphis is a very cultural city, but so is Nashville. I like Nashville better because

it's landscape is more like Little Rock. Memphis' landscape is pretty boring. It's nice to

have a mix of urban life and great landscape.

Little Rock as a city is approaching 200,000 and North Little Rock is about 60,000. The two cities operate as one. NLR is not a suburb by any means. The metro area is about 700,000, the CSA is right at 1,000,000. So, it's not as small as you might think.

I had no clue Little Rock was that big. I thought the city was about 150k and the metro about 400k. Thanks for the info.

I wish there was high speed rail between the two cities. LR and Memphis sort of share basketball teams (Little Rock being home to the Grizzlies farm leauge and a major fan base I think) and its the closest major city (only about 130 miles). Little Rock is one place Memphians go for day trips and vice versa. An hours commute wouldn't be something to complain about, especially when avoiding the wall to wall big rigs and crossing over the bridge during rush hour or construction :)

I have the CSA at around 800k, it's still a bit away from 1 mil.

It's around 850,000 I think...but don't quote me on that.

Also, Hot Springs MSA is right up against the LR MSA, it is being added to the CSA.

It's about 100,000. Little Rock is growing at a healthy rate, but the suburbs are all exploding

in growth. Anway, I don't want to take this too far off topic. I just saw where the poster mentioned

Little Rock and thought I'd tell them a little about it.

I wish there was high speed rail between the two cities. LR and Memphis sort of share basketball teams (Little Rock being home to the Grizzlies farm leauge and a major fan base I think) and its the closest major city (only about 130 miles). Little Rock is one place Memphians go for day trips and vice versa. An hours commute wouldn't be something to complain about, especially when avoiding the wall to wall big rigs and crossing over the bridge during rush hour or construction :)

Yeah, we travel to Memphis for a taste of something different...cultural activities mostly.

People from Memphis come over here for the scenery and some of our culture.

Little Rock's River Market is very similar to Beale Street in Memphis. Both cities have a lot

to offer. It's nice they are so close together. I would love to see a high speed rail to reduce the

time between the two. You're right, those big rigs are back to back most of the trip. ughhh.

Also, Hot Springs MSA is right up against the LR MSA, it is being added to the CSA.

It's about 100,000. Little Rock is growing at a healthy rate, but the suburbs are all exploding

in growth. Anway, I don't want to take this too far off topic. I just saw where the poster mentioned

When is Hot Springs being added to the Little Rock CSA?

Normally, the census doesn't change the geographical makeup of a region until 2 years after the decennial census--in 2012.

I don't know all the counties that currently comprise the metro area, or I'd be able to tally the figures for '05. I think including Hot Springs is pushing it a bit, though. There still remains a substantial area between the two cities that is rural, to the point that it clearly still is a "separate" entity. Has Pine Bluff been included in Little Rock's metro area, yet ? At least it borders Pulaski County. I was there back in September, and it's a rather forlorn and depressing place (and it seems to have so much potential), and has obviously been stagnating for at years (I know Jefferson County's population zenith was in 1980, and the population has declined to the point that it is where it was at in 1960 (around 81k)).

Hot Springs is right up against the Little Rock MSA. It borders Saline County. Hot Springs is only 45 minutes from Little Rock. There are about 20 miles of rural area between I-30 in Benton and Hot Springs.

Hot Springs is in Garland County, which is only 2 counties away from Little Rock...a lot of MSA's extend out several counties, so I don't think it's too out of the question to say that Hot Springs will be added into the CSA. Hot Springs is closer to Little Rock than Clarksville, TN is to Nashville, there is also a lot more rural land in between Clarksville and Nashville. Either way, the Hot Springs MSA, Little Rock MSA, and Pine Bluff MSA are all bundled together.

Pine Bluff is a MSA of its own. It includes three counties and the population is a bit over 100,000.

Also, the Searcy micropolitan area is part of the Little Rock CSA. White County has about 71,000 residents.

I'm about to put the numbers together. I'll post in a few.

Little Rock MSA 652,285

Pulaski County 366,463

Faulkner County 106,160 *2005 special census

Saline County 91,188

Lonoke County 17,348

Grant County 17,348

Perry County 10,468

Little Rock CSA 828,302

Jefferson County 81,700

White County 71,332

Lincoln County 14,262

Cleveland County 8,903

Little Rock CSA w/ Hot Springs MSA 953,117

Garland County 93,551

Hot Spring County 31,264

The map I attached should help.

The Blue outline is the Little Rock MSA.

The Green outline is the Hot Springs MSA.

The Red outline is the Pine Bluff MSA.

The Black outline shows the Little Rock CSA.

The Blue dots are Little Rock / North Little Rock.

The Green dot is Hot Springs.

The Red dot is Pine Bluff.

post-7516-1146020067_thumb.jpg

post-7516-1146020067_thumb.jpg

Am I missing something?.... I thought the title was "New to Memphis"......not "New to Littlerock" :huh:

Yes, you missed something. At the beginning of the thread, the original poster mentioned Little Rock as being one of his choices given to relocate. He then went on to talk about landscape of cities. He also talked about Little Rock being small. I just provided information showing that Little Rock isn't as small as some people think. I also told him about the beautiful landscape here. While Little Rock may not be as big as Memphis and Nashville, it is not small. Little Rock actually has a higher, more dense skyline than Memphis.

After I provided the info, I tried stay closer to topic, but others kept talking about LR, so I kept providing info.

Little Rock actually has a higher, more dense skyline than Memphis.

While I love Little Rock, its skyline is not taller and definitely not more dense than that of Memphis. The tall building on the same street as Taco Bell (I think its a bank), is surrounded by a sea of parking lots. You rarely see that in downtown Memphis. Thats why its so hard to find a parking spot downtown. :thumbsup:

When you get into adding half the state of Arkansas to Little Rock's metro area/CSA/etc. of course it will look huge! However, let's look at how dense Little Rock is...not very. Yes, downtown is nice, and I'm not trying to knock Little Rock, but it is still a rather small place in comparison to Nashville or Memphis. When people say the Memphis metro area has a population of 1.2 million, it is a dense 1.2 million people. Little Rock's 600,000 MSA is rather sprawled in the same manner as Nashville's (yet Nashville still has more pockets of density than LR).

When you get into adding half the state of Arkansas to Little Rock's metro area/CSA/etc. of course it will look huge! However, let's look at how dense Little Rock is...not very. Yes, downtown is nice, and I'm not trying to knock Little Rock, but it is still a rather small place in comparison to Nashville or Memphis. When people say the Memphis metro area has a population of 1.2 million, it is a dense 1.2 million people. Little Rock's 600,000 MSA is rather sprawled in the same manner as Nashville's (yet Nashville still has more pockets of density than LR).

Actually, density of the cities are about the same. Memphis has 650,000 in 300 sq. miles, Little Rock has 200,000 in 116 sq. miles. Nashville's density is a little less than either of the other two. Memphis is quite sprawled, having 300 sq. miles. Outside of Shelby County, there isn't much population. There are larger cities all around in Little Rock's metro outside of Pulaski County. Because Little Rock is growing throughout its entire metro, it will be similar to Orlando and Salt Lake City's metro. Those two cities proper are smaller than Little Rock in population, but the metros are bigger.

I didn't include half the state, that's the census bureau that chooses the CSA. Look at Nashville's metro area...because of the size of TN, it takes up almost the entire middle of the the state from border to border.

Again, I wasn't trying to say Little Rock is bigger than either of the two. All I did was show the op that it's not as small as some people think. I also pointed out that Little Rock has the best mix of urban and scenery of the 3. The op was quite interested in landscape.

I'm curious as to which city memphis has gobbled up in the last few years.

It's funny how people are moving out of memphis, but the city is growing because they are so annex happy.

It was barely 600,000 not too long ago. It was 650,000 in the 2000 census, then in 2004, the estimate is 671,000. Did they gobble up Germantown?

Archived