Parts of town?

Yulia

I'm thinking about taking a job in Tallahassee and am looking for an apartment. I don't really know much about the geography of Tally and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about what are the nice parts of town or what are the less desireable areas?

I'd be working downtown, so I would prefer to minimize the commute and would like to be near things to do (but since Tally is so small and there isn't that much to do , it's kind of a moot point -_- )

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its great to hear you may be moving here. tallahassee is a good size and has plenty to do. i would say look in southwood for an apartment to live in. the commute downtown is not bad at all and southwood is new, and has many nice appartments as well. i would say the drive from southwood to downtown is roughly 15 min. southwood is located on the east side of capital circle southeast and is south of old saint augustine road and north of tram road. it will be quite a large development when done (i am not sure of the total number of homes, but somewhere in the thousands would be my guess).

the northeast side of town is very nice as well. anywhere off of thomasville road north of killearny way is generally going to be a nice area... there are nice apartments that are new near the intersection of kerry forest and thomasville rd. this location would be a bit more of a drive to downtown though. i would plan on roughly 30 min to get downtown from here, possibly more during rush hour.

for the most part though, the northeast is a very established part of town and is nice, while the southeast is now being developed into a nice area of town. i dont think you can go wrong with either one of these areas.

What part of town is the "student ghetto" (figuratively speaking)? Near FSU and to the west? (my memory is hazy from my short trip to Tally but i remembered so pretty sketchy looking apts stuff between the airport and FSU). I've lived in crappy college housing here in Austin for long enough and would like to move on up a little lol.

Welcome to Urban Planet-Tallahassee, Yulia!

Tallahassee is a very nice city with many options of nice places to live. What are you looking for...Apartment, House, Townhouse, Condo? In the past it was almost automatic for anyone new coming to Tallahassee to be told to look in the NE. That's exactly what I was told almost exclusively when I moved here years ago so that's what I did. I've since moved to the SE to be closer to my work because I got tired of a 35-45 minute commute both ways everyday. It is a nice area but be prepared for a heavy traffic commute every morning as you head downtown from the NE. The East & SE areas are now starting to grow with many nice, new developments. With all that said, there are actually a lot of nice places to live right in, or close to, the downtown area itself. Let us know more specifically what you're looking for & how short you prefer your commute downtown to be everyday & we can offer you better suggestions based on your response. Again, WELCOME! :)

i am still a student at FSU and have lived in tally my whole life. i would say the parts of town that you would want to stay away from are west of fsu, in the southwest part of town; also old bainbridge, which is north of campus is home to a large population of students. i am not saying all is bad there, but most of the college housing is in this area. the student population really drops when you go east of meridian road. as i stated above, the northeast is definitly nice, but you have to live with a 30 min or longer drive to downtown; the southeast is really starting to grow, and is very appealing. i would imagine over the next ten years the southeast will become the next nice place to live in tallahassee and will see the most growth in town.

another idea is living downtown in one of several condos currently in construction (i believe two of them will be available to live in this summer).

What part of town is the "student ghetto" (figuratively speaking)? Near FSU and to the west? (my memory is hazy from my short trip to Tally but i remembered so pretty sketchy looking apts stuff between the airport and FSU). I've lived in crappy college housing here in Austin for long enough and would like to move on up a little lol.

I'm not a student & never lived here as one but I know you will find students everywhere in Tallahassee. I would say that if you don't want to live in the predominent student housing areas then you should not look along Pensacola St or other areas of the West/SW. Some of the others in our forum can most likely give you more specifics on this question.

I'd be working downtown, so I would prefer to minimize the commute and would like to be near things to do (but since Tally is so small and there isn't that much to do , it's kind of a moot point -_- )

Hey maybe if you feel this way you shouldn't move here at all? A little advice from me, if you are gonna ask for help from the locals, maybe you shouldn't "poo-poo" their location. Of course Tally doesn't have as much to offer as Austin, mainly b/c Austin as a metro pop of 1+million and Tally only 350k, but we don't roll the street up after dark either. I moved here from South FL which is 5 times bigger than Austin and I don't get bored here.

That said the others have made some great suggestions. I take it you must be a 20-something single professional? If so the NE and Southwood could be a little more family oriented than what you might like. Nothing wrong w/that, but that might not be the type of environment you are looking for. If you are working downtown and want a short commute, I'd suggest looking in the near east and near north sides of town. Places like Midtown, areas around TMH (Tally Memorial Hospital), the Magnolia area around Tennessee or Apalachee or out towards Gov. Sq. Mall. If you really want to avoid the major student apt. complexes I'd look into the smaller local apartment complexes or duplexes in the areas I've mentioned. While they are a little harder to find, they maybe more what you are looking for and give you a little more funky type vib. If you come in the summer before August 1st, your hunt for a place to live will be a little easier. After the students start coming back to town, it gets difficult.

P_Mclane lived in downtown area apt. complex (right???) and might be able to offer you a little more help as to what the rents are like in that area and how easy it is to find a place.

Good Luck!

Wheretolive.jpg

I'm not quite sure what you know about Tallahassee, Yuila, but here's a map of our county with the less desirable student area blocked out. Anything outside of this zone is desirable in my personal opinion.

Have you considered a condominium downtown? If you're going to be working downtown it would be a logical choice.

If you prefer a yard of some sort, there are a few properties available in the Meyer's Park area, just South East of the downtown area, soon to have a beautiful Cascades Park nearby to enjoy.

There are also a number of communities off of Park Avenue for you to consider, Piney Z is a nice option for one who'd like the comforts of a beautiful family neighborhood with a not so terible commute to the downtown.

As far as Tallahassee being small and having little to offer... I don't know if I'd come to the community with that attitude. If you do your stay will be miserable. Every city has its own way of offering entertainment and adventure. Tallahassee does it "The Natural Way". The city is full of museums to enjoy, there are a wonderful variety of animals to explore at our Museum, our lakes are pristene and peaceful, the Capital Coast has beautiful white sandy beaches (Carabelle, St. Marks (30 minute drive) are some of my personal favorites). You can always enjoy our canopy roads, and beautiful flowery Maclay Gardens, a large collection of unique cars, excellent high school and college sports, as well as numbers of gathering spots for you to entertain friends.

Try to look to the bright side, and remember every place you go to is different. Some places will offer more than others, but above all, our people will welcome you with open arms. You'll love it here! :D

Hi Yulia,

I lived downtown for five years and very much enjoyed walking around the center of town in the evenings, to the library, to the FSU campus, the Capitol, the chain of parks. I moved to Tallahassee from a colossal metropolitan area of 8+ million people, and I, like poonther, never exhaust the options for entertainment and recreation in Tallahassee. The University is a big part of that, as I am sure it is in Austin. Granted, things are quite a bit slower and quieter, but this is a naturally gorgeous area of the country that affords its residents a lot of beautiful weather days for sports, gardening, canoeing, beach trips, or just walking or biking around town. If I were you, I would look for an apartment or duplex just to the NE of downtown, within two miles of the Capitol. You should expect to pay about $600 for a 1-bedroom, $750+ for a two-bedroom, but the neighborhood ammenities will make it worth the extra rent (compared to the cost of living to the south or west of the universities.

I was also going to suggest the Myers Park area. Last time I check the Rent was reasonable (if you are looking to buy, you pay for the privilage of owning a place in the area). There are students in the area, but since it requires more effort to look into that area, they are usually more mature than the ones that fill out an application at student apartment complex #232. It is not too far from Downtown, the Governor's Square Mall, the Movie Theater, etc. There is a nice part in the area, too.

Another good area is the Lake Ella area. However, there aren't too many rentals there.

There are things to do in Tallahassee. However, unlike a larger city, you have to fit them into your schedule, rather than having them available all the time. Railroad square has an open house every Frist Friday. There are alot of festivals, such as Springtime Tallahssee and the Winter Holiday Parade. If you like the great outdoors it is easier to find things to do here. There are a few parks out here, such as Wakulla Springs and Appalachee National Forest. If you like to go drinking, hit the Tennessee Strip (beware of students however).

Tallahassee is much more of a community city than most cities its size. There are alot of clubs and organizations around. Join one or two and you will find plenty of things to fill your time. Religion is important to many people in this area, thus the local churches also run alot of activities.

In a few years Tallahassee will have "A Lot of Stuff To Do" that you can just get in your car and drive too. The city is changing and hopefully for the better.

Tallahassee is much more of a community city than most cities its size. There are alot of clubs and organizations around. Join one or two and you will find plenty of things to fill your time. Religion is important to many people in this area, thus the local churches also run alot of activities.

In a few years Tallahassee will have "A Lot of Stuff To Do" that you can just get in your car and drive too. The city is changing and hopefully for the better.

Great Point about the Churches DaiDreamer! There are over 300 Churches in the Tallahassee area, and speaking from one who goes to Bethel Missionary Baptist, in the downtown area, Church plays a major role in my life.

You're so right about there being more things to do around here in the coming years. Just driving around from month to month I see new stuff around every corner. I grew up here, and I've never experienced this level of growth that we are now seeing.

I don't mean to trash the city...it's just a little different than where I was expecting to end up. :P

I did notice the natural scenery and it's definitely appealing.

I was looking at some apartment complexes on Park Ave to the east. They seem a little more expensive but some seem to have good amenities and they are closer to downtown. I also understand that there are buses that go down park to downtown...is public transportation decent in the city? (down Park Ave seems like a straight shot that is pretty short, so I imagine its pretty convenient). it would be nice to save the gas money and parking hassle.

Any thoughts on this area to the east? is closer to the mall ok (in some cities malls aren't surrounded by the best residential areas) or is a little further out nicer?

I don't mean to trash the city...it's just a little different than where I was expecting to end up. :P

I did notice the natural scenery and it's definitely appealing.

I was looking at some apartment complexes on Park Ave to the east. They seem a little more expensive but some seem to have good amenities and they are closer to downtown. I also understand that there are buses that go down park to downtown...is public transportation decent in the city? (down Park Ave seems like a straight shot that is pretty short, so I imagine its pretty convenient). it would be nice to save the gas money and parking hassle.

Any thoughts on this area to the east? is closer to the mall ok (in some cities malls aren't surrounded by the best residential areas) or is a little further out nicer?

Unlike most cities, the areas around the Malls are very nice. I live not too far from the Tallahassee Mall myself.

I take it you must be a 20-something single professional? If so the NE and Southwood could be a little more family oriented than what you might like. Nothing wrong w/that, but that might not be the type of environment you are looking for.

Not to argue but actually, SouthWood is full of young single professionals in their 20's & 30's with more moving here all the time. I have 5 or 6 of them living right around me now in townhouses or garden homes. SouthWood is a wonderful mix of young professionals, young & middle aged families, older couples with college aged kids & some older, but active, retirees both married & single. SouthWood is a wonderful mix of all types of people & is the only place I've ever lived with such diversity in my immediate neighborhood vicinity, which I really like alot. I think the new apartment complex now under construction at Blairstone & Capital Circle will attract even more young professionals as time goes on. My commute to downtown from SouthWood is around 10-15 minutes each way...much better than when I was commuting from the NE. Don't get me wrong....I still love the NE also...I just got tired of the long, frustrating drives everyday. StarMetro (our mass transit system) is close to implementing a direct shuttle service between the SouthWood area & Downtown soon. Perhaps NewStar can give more info on this once they read this thread.

Yulia, I grew up, went to school & then worked in Atlanta after college & I can tell you after coming from a bigger city myself that Tallahassee is truly a great place to live & work regardless of what area of town you end up settling in. You might actually get to slow down & enjoy life a bit more like I did after moving here. Like anyplace or anything...it's what you make it & I know you will enjoy & fall in love with Tallahassee just like the rest of us have. :)

I tell people, when they ask, to avoid anything west of monroe, south of I-10, and east of Capitol Circle NW. Thats very similar to the quadrant map TJ posted earlier.

I would agree with Glenn, Southwood is definitely a great place to live. Its looking like I may end up staying here for a while, and Southwood is my main choice to live. However, the area between Thomasville Rd and Centerville Rd are nice, you may want to look into that as well. Not far from downtown.

Tallahassee is just like any other town or anything else, you get out of it what you put into it.

Glenn you would definitely know more about S-wood than I would since you live there. I tend to forget there is a lot of multi-family development there now. I still think of S-wood as the original development which is north of the Town Center and east towards the sales center. I know it's a lot more than that now. I was just out there for the first time in a long while earlier this week and was amazed at all the new development. I even went to eat at Hustons just so I could look for "you know who" but he was no where to be found. :(

GG I like your statement about your gettting out of something what you put into it. That's true on so many levels.

I saw a big apartment complex on Connor near Piney Z for the first time last week that I had not seen before. I am not sure what the makeup is, but it is just a few miles from DT on Apalachee. It was called something at Heritage Oaks (not to be confused with the retirement community on Shannon lakes).

Also, I posted a summary of the star metro service from Southwood based on the meeting today.

I agree with Glenn that there are lots of 20 somethings in SWood, especially in the townhouses. They just don't do the family oriented things that like the easter egg hunts and fall festivals in the neighborhood.

:lol: Poonther, "you know who" will be back at Huston's on Saturday, open - 4 PM.

TJ, Are you still working nights at Huston's? I haven't seen you on my last few visits so you must have cut back on your hours.

Poonther, Let me know next time you're down around SouthWood & maybe we can meet at Huston's or Sharkey's.

Tallahassee isn't hard to figure out. If you familiarize yourself with the main streets (Capital Circle NW, SW, SE & NE, Park Ave. N. & S. Monroe, Apalachee Pkwy,) you'll already know the bulk of Tallahassee. Would you consider living in Frenchtown? It's between FSU & downtown Tallahassee. 25 years ago, no students would be caught dead over there due to the criminality but now more students have apts. along Virginia & Macomb Sts (the 300 block of Macomb going east towards Frenchtown)

Southside Tallahassee wouldn't be of much interest to you unless you like low-income housing projects and drug sales. This area has been long neglected by city officials and is seeing much needed development.

Dont hate too much on the SS, if it is our worst, we arent too bad off. THere seems to be some real nice apartments going in next to the St. Marks trail headquarters south of capital circle...

But SE, in Southwood gets my vote (after a highrise condo of coarse!)

The problem still is that until Southside is built, there's not much down there, so you have to drive everywhere, except to the gas station on the corner to go to Subway.

Archived