Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

I concur with you absolutely!  I think the Blue, Silver, Gold and Red (I prefer BRT for this route) would make the most sense.  In lieu of a 1.5 to 2 Billion Tunnel I'd rather see the system finished.  I do believe that several Spur lines would be cost effective and make the most sense to Ballantyne, Southpark and down Steele Creek/S. Tryon area.  Spurs would serve more people and help expand the system without the full costs of an entire line.

10 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I concur with you absolutely!  I think the Blue, Silver, Gold and Red (I prefer BRT for this route) would make the most sense.  In lieu of a 1.5 to 2 Billion Tunnel I'd rather see the system finished.  I do believe that several Spur lines would be cost effective and make the most sense to Ballantyne, Southpark and down Steele Creek/S. Tryon area.  Spurs would serve more people and help expand the system without the full costs of an entire line.

Bang-for-buck is just good policy. There is a risk to overreaching. Just ask Nashville.

Edited by Dale

How viable would it be for some sections of the third and fourth phases of the Gold Line to run in its own ROW? Besides the Central Ave CBD, it seems like it might be possible for the streetcar to have its own ROW if Central and Beatties Ford got road diets to just one lane in each side. And since both roads run parallel with a major highway (US 74/I-77), traffic shouldn’t be impacted too much, especially if the Gold Line is carrying some of the weight. 

It also made me think about a further expansion east down Albemarle Road, and north expansion towards Northlake Mall, if dedicated ROW was on the table. 

• Like 3

I think that (road diet on central - then Dedicate lanes for Streetcar only) would be a good idea on Central.  Other than that I'd much rather see dedicated Lightrail Lines (Several Spurs off the blue and future silver lines) because of the higher speeds that they'd have over streetcars (even with dedicated lanes) as well as their transformative power over adjacent land/lots to further densify.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Man I can't wait - Gonna be an awesome site to see the Modern StreetCar Vehicles running across the Bridge over Independence on the Approach to Uptown.  Glad to have moved to a city where at least some strides are being made to invest in Mass Transit.  

Unfortunately, that is about the best framing you can give it.  Not nearly enough for population growth is more apt though.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

True but I think that this region (Mostly CLT/Mecklenburg County) is ready to support a large Bond Referendum to fully fund the 'Big Bang' Transit Expansion.  There just needs to be major marketing campaign and dissemination of full plans to the public.  I do hope CATS is ready for their unveiling within the next 6 months.  Bond Referendum can occur soon as 2020 election.

I don't share your optimism, but I admire it and hope you are right :tw_thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

^ Why can't we have nice things? lol but seriously it doesn't seem that many big projects go to plan here: the blue line delay, the greenway fiasco and now this. 

I don't actually have a lot of confidence in CATS and I worry how things like this will affect the 'Big Bang' plan.