Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

What is your opinion on TOD Designations along the Streetcar Line?  Do you think it'll help promote development or do you think it shouldn't apply to the Streetcar Line which has been called a 'Pedestrian Accelerator'?

Must be TOD

IMO, as someone who lived without a car in transit-heavy cities, if I need to live in a city but can't afford a car, there's a sense of comfort being near rail, even if it's a slow streetcar. I know I can transfer anywhere, and that's the most important factor that any TOD project can sell.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

What is your opinion on TOD Designations along the Streetcar Line?  Do you think it'll help promote development or do you think it shouldn't apply to the Streetcar Line which has been called a 'Pedestrian Accelerator'?

Honest question: What are the arguments for it not being TOD?

Edited by kermit

2 hours ago, kermit said:

Honest question: What are the arguments for it not being TOD?

I believe that some folks are of the Opinion that the Streetcar doesn't provide the same reliability (time of travel) nor volume as other forms of Mass Transit so some don't think it qualifies for TOD designation.  I think it couldn't hurt and would encourage urban design nearby.

Im in the camp that believes there will be some development that is spurred by the Streetcar Line but it's slow to happen because the exist Line doesn't really go anywhere.  After Phase II is operational planned residential development may take off (Although may not be nearly as robust as the BLE development)

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 3

I was driving Clanton Road between S Tryon and South Blvd this morning as a fleet of gooseneck trailer trucks were arriving at the rear entrance to CATS from Pelton Street. Two had arrived earlier and had track repair machinery already loaded. Oversize load flags flying.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JoshuaDrown said:

Most of us have been critical of  the Gold Line, rightfully I think... vehicles, travel times, stop locations, etc.

I am, however, very optimistic about Phase 2. There are actually people that live off the Phase 2 stops, and the connectivity provided between Johnson C Smith, Smallwood, Wesley Heights, Johnson & Wales, Third and Fourth Wards, and through to the edge of Midwood will be excellent. Many neighborhoods that feel just a bit disconnected become connected. I am very excited. 

Oh, and the modern vehicles... 

Four Universities/Colleges will be connected to light rail/Streetcar:  UNC Charlotte, Johnson & Wales, Johnson C. Smith, and CPCC.   That is huge!

*I also think Trade St has the potential to be something special.  May not see Stonewall type development, but near Gateway and Elizabeth, pretty much blank canvases. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JoshuaDrown said:

Most of us have been critical of  the Gold Line, rightfully I think... vehicles, travel times, stop locations, etc.

I am, however, very optimistic about Phase 2. There are actually people that live off the Phase 2 stops, and the connectivity provided between Johnson C Smith, Smallwood, Wesley Heights, Johnson & Wales, Third and Fourth Wards, and through to the edge of Midwood will be excellent. Many neighborhoods that feel just a bit disconnected become connected. I am very excited. 

Oh, and the modern vehicles... 

I am too. Excited to not have to drive to JC Smith Basketball games anymore. Those are a good time.

• Like 1

The Observer takes a nice trip back to the beginning, middle and end of  Charlotte's first streetcar era:

In 1937, Duke Power and the City of Charlotte applied to the N.C. Utilities Commission to replace the trolleys with buses, according to the Historic Landmarks Commission.

Trading trolleys for buses, said then-City Council Member J.S. Nance, would be “one of the most progressive moves that Charlotte has made in quite a while.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article217508290.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Here at UP we hate overhead wires.  

Nanjing, China was the first city to launch a wireless tram using Bomardier's technology and that was three years ago:

https://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/10/bombardier-primove-break-battery-powered-tram-record/

Wires are uncecessary for anything within 25 miles. The Gold Line would max out at 10 miles if Phase 3 ever gets built.  All you need are the rails, stations and ground-level electric induction.

Thoughts?

Edited by ChessieCat