Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

On 2/5/2019 at 12:55 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

All fares should be free 

Or at least only set to the marginal cost, with the fixed costs covered by subsidies.      Obviously on the flipside is when the capacity cannot serve the demand, but in principle, I agree with the free fares.   The alternative is only requiring fares during peak times, when you capture revenue from probably more than half the riders, and the rest of the time you are encouraging use when it is no where near full.

In this case, it replaces the old Gold Rush trolley the really helped improve circulation.  Free rides means also last minute riders can hop on.    That should at least be possible outside of rush hour 

22 minutes ago, Nathan2 said:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/157957/charlotte-streetcar-line/

The article and the comments definitely make it seem as most people are against the project? CATS doesn't seem to help itself out with its poor communication.

Anecdotally, if 60% of Agenda readers (note this survey isn't statistically significant, etc..) don't think the Street Car is a good idea.... just imagine how bad support is among other cohorts in the city. Agenda readers should be a sweet spot for transit support as they are more likely to live in the neighborhoods around Uptown. 

Edited by CLT2014

25 minutes ago, Nathan2 said:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/157957/charlotte-streetcar-line/

The article and the comments definitely make it seem as most people are against the project? CATS doesn't seem to help itself out with its poor communication.

I'm actually super mad about this article. I think leaving out the WHY the streetcar has failed as a economic tool is damaging. The fact that there is no mention of the primary land owners along the route being glacially moving institutions is a big omission.  You better believe that I have a retort to this piece in the works.

37 minutes ago, CLTranspo said:

This article irked me too. I think the agenda needs to stick to buzzfeed-esque listicle articles. They don’t have expertise in politics, policy, or planning and instead grossly generalize projects like this, which does a disservice to Charlotte for future transit expansion. 

I mean... I'm going to write a dissenting opinion and would LOVE your input for the article. 

I think the GoldLine is a waste of money. The money would have been better (and should have been) spent on light rail expansion (new lines, capacity expansion on old Blue Line -- the now stalled platform expansion for all original stations, and more running stock for Blue Line to get to 5 minute headways).

You are free to quote my dissenting opinion to your dissenting opinion. ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I mean... I'm going to write a dissenting opinion and would LOVE your input for the article. 

There are so many things wrong with that opinion piece. I'm not sure they have enough column inches to adequately reply. While I'm not a fan of the Gomaco reproduction cars (and they're manifestly better than the execrable rubber wheeled trolley-looking buses that ran the Gold Rush loops). I'm not a fan of faux nostalgia and looking forward to the Siemens Avanto (S70) cars running on the line. Also hoping for signal preemption and all the other goodness a true shared, at-grade transit line should have (Sprinter should have that too).

• Like 1

A street car is great for preserving ROW for future heavier rail uses.  This may have been the intent but is no longer the case (Silver Line following zero of the current Gold Line routing AFAIK).  

Street car can be great from an economic development point of view (see: KC, Portland, etc.).  This has not been the case with ours (for a number of reasons), and now the $$ is following the light rail corridor.

Our street car could (/would/will) be great at moving people from Gateway, to Center City/ Blue Line, to Elizabeth/Hospitaland, if it had ROW/signal prioritization as others have said (& keeps[?] the free fare).  Additional development along the line would go hand-in-hand with increased ridership.

There may be other uses, but these are the big three in my mind.  The Gold Line does a middling job at these, but it's relatively cheap and still has a promising future.  I support the finishing of the second phase, but currently would not support the extension of the third phase (unless we can get similar economic splits as the first phase).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm actually super mad about this article. I think leaving out the WHY the streetcar has failed as a economic tool is damaging. The fact that there is no mention of the primary land owners along the route being glacially moving institutions is a big omission.  You better believe that I have a retort to this piece in the works.

Get em, Clay.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1