Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

I guess so. I try to like the streetcar but really can't help but feel this money would have been better spent on light rail.

The $87 mill that the city spent on the streetcar would have bought slightly less than a mile of LRT (at BLE rates). Two miles w federal match.

But we would have still been without rail connections to Gateway, Five Points, or CPCC (the largest college in the state).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Even cheaper than a streetcar: We could have just improved the FREE Gold Rush shuttle service which had ridership north of 2,500 per day even at 15 minute frequencies. Bump the Gold Rush up to 5 minute frequency, modernize the fleet, keep it free, operate on weekends, and just make the stops a little nicer to wait at.... plus it can maneuver around parked cars, broken down cars, and travel a lot faster. The Gold Rush used to hit 30 mph on stretches of its route. Instead the streetcar crawls at a max speed of 16 mph. 

Other than improved urban development that has failed to materialize thus far, I don't really see any benefit for the slower and soon to be NOT free streetcar, over the former Gold Rush trolley.

Yep.  The Gold Rush was a fine circulator despite being closed in evenings/weekends.  I used to use it for commuting every day.   The streetcar is never going to be used until they get those frequencies way way up

Edited by Desert Power

3 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

I guess so. I try to like the streetcar but really can't help but feel this money would have been better spent on light rail.

I hear you, but let's all keep in mind they are still using the old trolleys.  I think there will be a marked improvement in ridership when the new cars are being used.  I tend to think they did the line a disservice when they used the old trolleys.  I wonder if they could have even gotten two of the new style cars on the line to start with the old trolleys.  Also, this is potentially the only transit option that is ahead of its time in some areas.  The growth on the west side is really impressive and a good chunk of those people could probably get to this line easily.  When they planned this line, I am not sure anyone anticipated how quickly the west side would develop.  I did not...or I would own a few lots and houses over there.

Edited by pgsinger
typo
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 9:59 AM, Matthew.Brendan said:

Be glad you don’t get attacked on your opinions like I do because I’ve said this once and they came for me like wild animals lol tho I like the streetcar kind of but don’t think it will be worth all of what people are making it out to be. But that’s just my opinion 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

It needs a dedicated right of way to be a truly feasible alternative to a car. If you don't have a car, it's definitely better than walking. But even cycling is faster half the time.

It's got a solid route and with the new Siemens cars, it has the possibility of being great in the future.

I wish the money being spent on it could have gone towards the silver/airport line but I'd rather have this streetcar line than nothing.