Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

Looks like they are tearing out previously completed track in front of the bojangles on west trade ........

Edit: Just saw DH17s post on the previous page. Agreed with him. This is getting extremely frustrating living over on this side of town.

Edited by a2theb

8 hours ago, XRZ.ME said:

What exactly utility work is ongoing?

They cut open the road, fill it and dig them up again and again.

Part of the job is relocating any utility access points away from the tracks so they can be accessed without shutting down the streetcar. Other tasks include relocating any pipes that might be cracked by the weight of the vehicle. 

If only the city had the foresight 70 years ago to write all utility easements with a ‘streetcars might return here’ clause....

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 4:55 PM, Matthew.Brendan said:

Major infrastructure project, of course they wouldn't use the opportunity to build a bike lane. Whaddya think this is, Portland?????

The Charlotte approach:  spend tens of millions of dollars in infrastructure improvements, and six months after the whole thing is built out, start bemoaning the fact that there are no bike lanes.

9 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

^ not quite...

56857657_10155951756111020_6801478693475581952_n.jpg

I am not being snarky, but where should the truck load/unload? 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NDL said:

The Charlotte approach:  spend tens of millions of dollars in infrastructure improvements, and six months after the whole thing is built out, start bemoaning the fact that there are no bike lanes.

I am not being snarky, but where should the truck load/unload? 

I was curious about that myself.

Courtside residents received guidance in this regard mid April but I'm not there to see if any signage was posted (and therefore can't speak to exactly where on 6th they are referencing below):

"....The City will be marking two temporary loading zones for deliveries, USPS, resident moves, etc. – 
• One loading zone will be on 6th St.
• One loading zone will be on Caldwell, in front of the restaurant.
Both loading zones will be time restricted. No loading will be allowed during weekday peak hours (7am to 9am and 4pm to 6pm) or during arena events. The City will install signage to help make that clear.

• Like 4

Wow, I must have missed that...... we built out a system only to have to rebuild all stations what, a few years later? Charlotte planning is just top notch.

I'm going to argue that the ridiculousness of the street car (super slow service mostly) poisons people on the idea of rail in general. Really frustrating on so many levels.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Wow, I must have missed that...... we built out a system only to have to rebuild all stations what, a few years later? Charlotte planning is just top notch.

I'm going to argue that the ridiculousness of the street car (super slow service mostly) poisons people on the idea of rail in general. Really frustrating on so many levels.

The same thing happened for the Blue Line. The existing trolley stations (for these same exact vehicles) had to be merged into the new stations. 

My clientele at my job, while they are obsessed with the Blue Line, always, always give the same scoff/chuckle when I mention the Gold Line.

I am always sure to say "street car" rather than "trolley" (which is always said derisively), and remind folks of the future extension, but it rarely makes a difference in their perceptions.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1