Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

1 hour ago, NOLA2CLT said:

unforeseen circumstances

What happens if the new girders are wrong?:tw_astonished:

that gets categorized as a contractor deficiency. Unforeseen circumstances are typically issues that the contractor, the designer, or the owner could not have reasonably known about that impact construction. 

Fox and NBC were out on Hawthorne on the Central side of the bridge yesterday and this morning.  Even asked our nanny for comment!  But expect to see a story today or in the next few days on the main news outlets around here.  Probably wont be any new info we dont already know, just a chance for neighbors to vent and complain about the pending nightly noise they are going to be hearing.

• Like 4

This WSOC story on the bridge makes clear that the public-private partnerships in the form of design-build contracts are a bad deal for the public agency. In this case CATS is assigned 100% of the blame for these businesses closing around Hawthorne bridge when the events appear to have been completely out of CATS’ control.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/construction-on-hawthorne-street-bridge-in-elizabeth-to-pick-back-up-next-week/987414239

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kermit said:

This WSOC story on the bridge makes clear that the public-private partnerships in the form of design-build contracts are a bad deal for the public agency. In this case CATS is assigned 100% of the blame for these businesses closing around Hawthorne bridge when the events appear to have been completely out of CATS’ control.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/construction-on-hawthorne-street-bridge-in-elizabeth-to-pick-back-up-next-week/987414239

I dont want this to come across as negative in any way...but Catch On and Toucan Louie's were both fairly new businesses.  For them to put 100% of the blame on CATS, in my opinion, is a bit of a stretch.  Im not saying that this construction did not have an impact on business, but so far, I have only read about two businesses closing  - Toucan Louie's and Catch On.  Millennials (who make up a vast majority of the apartment complexes around these two businesses) are probably not looking to buy fresh expensive seafood, and Toucan Louie's had little advertising in the area except for a small sign on the shop and a prop up sign on Central Ave that is easy to miss.  I hate that this construction has had such a negative impact on our area, but once this is complete, it will spur business and investment.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NOLA2CLT said:

the bridge was quite noisy last night as well...hopefully they will be working day and night to get it somewhat back on schedule...

I suspect night shift will be a big part of them trying to catch back up on this project.  

I LOVE seeing the new streetcars arriving.  It is hopefully going to be a success when it is finally up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kermit said:

The Gateway Stop and also the Wesley Heights stop (near the Bojangles) have been poured. Other stations in this area look like they will be poured shortly.

Most of the track work from Mint to JCSU (Dixon st) appears to be done. To my surprise there is still no visible work happening at the French St. storage facility (one lane of road has been closed but no other site work is evident)

I thought all the storage would be in the blue line sheds until Phase 3? 

18 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I thought all the storage would be in the blue line sheds until Phase 3? 

I was sure I saw a French street "yard" discussed on all of the CATS design documents I have looked at over the past few years. Unfortunately my memory doesn't mean much these days and the CharMeck website has been hostile to me since the hack attack -- I can't even find the grant agreement for phase 2.

The more I look, the more it looks like I was wrong. This would certainly explain why no work is happening on the yard.

#GettingOldIsNotForSissys

3 hours ago, kermit said:

I was sure I saw a French street "yard" discussed on all of the CATS design documents I have looked at over the past few years. Unfortunately my memory doesn't mean much these days and the CharMeck website has been hostile to me since the hack attack -- I can't even find the grant agreement for phase 2.

The more I look, the more it looks like I was wrong. This would certainly explain why no work is happening on the yard.

#GettingOldIsNotForSissys

It was in the original plans, but not the more frugal reality spurred on by transit funding the freaking Hawthorne bridge.   Also, as Phase I made the connector to the Blue Line, they have been pretty consistent about having streetcar maintenance at the main maintenance yards on S Tryon.   Perhaps they generally include it in the farther extension north, but it is not in the current project. 

I have tried to look too, but can't seem to find it outright, but that is my recollection from past updates. 

• Thanks 1