Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

1 hour ago, JacksonH said:

Yeah, but New York transit is way better funded than CATS.  There's an opportunity cost for everything.  Taxes make things like transit work more efficiently.  Charlotte is growing largely because of its low taxes.  People move to Charlotte for that reason.  But once they are there, they have to deal with the fact that things don't work as well and take longer to fix because there's not sufficient tax revenue to make those things happen.  And they whine and complain about it and talk about how much better it was in NY.  You have to choose your poison.  If you want reliability and good service, then you have to pay for it.

It has to be cheaper to replace a bridge in one weekend than two years though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yeahdoug said:

It has to be cheaper to replace a bridge in one weekend than two years though.

To be able to immediately jump on a project like replacing a bridge and getting it all done in a weekend, I would think there would need to be a construction staff already on hand (i.e., permanent workers) and always available to jump onto a project at a moment's notice.  It would also need to be very well staffed to do a job like that so quickly.  Having such a large, permanent staff would be a major resource that, again, requires ample funding.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:11 AM, Nathan2 said:

Demand drives the response more than anything. The toll lane project, for example, could've been completed much faster, but because the highway was able to function more or less the same while they were being built, there was a bit of a cushion to work with. I know it's not nearly as complex, but some of the major streets in and around Uptown have been resurfaced recently, unless you were up really late it's likely you didn't even know. Roadwork on 77 south can be put into that boat as well. Those roads are super high traffic, and therefore it's high priority to get those finished. When a fire caused the collapse of the 85 bridge in Atlanta, that project was completed in a few weeks, keep in mind that they not only had to build the bridge, but engineer it from scratch, it's not like it was planned to collapse (aside from what some conspiracy theorists will say.) I'd love Hawthorne to be finished sooner than later, but the reality is that in the grand scheme of the project, the bridge isn't holding anything up. The intent was for it to be done for road traffic asap, sure, but because of a royal screw up on the part of the contractor, we're left with a project that's a little out of order, and the RNC is not gonna help with that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lit said:

A great time/place for a block party right there, maybe the day before it opens to traffic. I hope you all can have a moment to celebrate the re-connection of your neighborhoods!

One of the big reasons I moved to Plaza Midwood was because of the connection via Hawthorne, I knew the bridge would be out a little while, but I fear my lease may be almost up by the time it's complete, it really does feel so distant from Elizabeth even though I should be able to walk to CPCC from there!

On 10/19/2019 at 9:48 AM, tarhoosier said:

Common railroad yard term. Rail yards have a slight incline that cars are pushed over and then allowed to roll on to the backstop and trains are assembled thereupon. Bump one car or more at a time over the hump and it (they) roll until they hook onto the existing cars. When complete the locomotive pulls them onto the line. "Do Not Hump" signs are the most frequently stolen item in the railyard. Someone in my college dorm had one.

I went to a huge humping yard in Nebraska. They had tours of the control tower. Really impressive operation.