Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

so they have done the bolt tightening on the new girders...my thought is that they may be waiting until the track installation on the 7th street side of the bridge gets closer?  not sure...they have welded the tracks on the central side of the bridge and they are currently sitting in the street.  Im going to email the city and see what they say

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Typically - Once Girders Are Placed there’s a ton of Surveying and Build Up Calculations that must occur.  Deck Falsework, Track Embedment &  Concrete Placement are to follow and proceed very slowly.  My estimate would be that it’ll take around 60 to 90 days to get the Deck and Approach Slabs poured in place as long as weather doesn’t delay things.

Urban Planet, where practically any answer is attainable. Thanks Hushpuppy321!

1 minute ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Are these identical to the light rail vehicles? (Visually they seem so?)

Both sets of cars can (technically) run on either set of tracks?

I really don't get the distinction here, other than one runs in traffic and the other has dedicated ROW.

The street car vehicles are shorter than the light rail cars to allow tighter turns. There are other small technical differences too. Quick overview from wikipedia.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Yeahdoug said:

I can’t wait for this to be done and trade cleaned up. Also worried about noise from it outside my trades st windows. I’ve heard it should be quieter than the busses, but not sure what kind of signaling/horns have to be used. 

Since their street crossings are regulated by stoplights rather than gates, streetcars don't normally use horns. They should use a bell (almost exclusively) when they need to signal (think SF cable car).

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kermit said:

Since their street crossings are regulated by stoplights rather than gates, streetcars don't normally use horns. They should use a bell (almost exclusively) when they need to signal (think SF cable car).

We’ll see. I’ve looked at some other modern street car vids.  It can be a bell or a modern digital horn sound. I have my fingers cross I’m positioned nicely to not hear it much as it pulls into a stop. 

9 minutes ago, ajfunder said:

Most have both, the bell is usually used at intersections and entering and leaving stations. The horn is for drivers/pedestrians who get to close/distracted around the multi-ton rail vehicle.

expect to hear the horn for a the first couple of months given the distracted people and drivers in the QC.  There was a learning curve with Houston Metrorail  which in some areas near downtown H-Town shares the street with traffic.  Once a few cars got hit the frequency really dropped in these accidents.    From Houston from 2015  the number of accidents has gone down but I really hope the local QC media tells people to be careful, bikers, pedestrians and vehicles.   Warning if you watch this video you will see some accidents.  I was so nervous driving down Main St south of downtown that the only way I would cross the tracks was to turn right go around the block and go through a lighted intersection.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

^re: youtube video..."Darwinism Awards"...natural selection at it's finest.  

I agree but you know it will happen here in Charlotte with our distracted drivers, walkers and bicyclists.   They need to start a safety campaign in advance of the opening.  

• Like 1

Latest email from the city has bridge work resuming.  Installing underdecking and DTI check through 12/15.  I also spoke to a worker this morning after he complained that I was parked in front of my house - i know im not supposed to be :tw_grimace:....but he said they will start laying track on the central side of Hawthorne Bridge starting in the beginning of January...ill be snapping pics, dont worry!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Is it bad that I watched the whole thing and pulled for the train the whole time? No blue ink here...

lol, I did the same thing. Some of the longer ones I was trying to figure out who was gonna get it before it happened. It was pretty entertaining 

• Like 1