Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

Anyone think there’s a chance that Phase III of the StreetCar would be fast tracked if development at Eastland takes off in the next 2 or 3 years?  Better yet - any chance Tepper would chip in to help usher in the ‘Transit’ that he’s been speaking in support of a few months ago at the Panthers Site in Rock Hill?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone think there’s a chance that Phase III of the StreetCar would be fast tracked if development at Eastland takes off in the next 2 or 3 years?  Better yet - any chance Tepper would chip in to help usher in the ‘Transit’ that he’s been speaking in support of a few months ago at the Panthers Site in Rock Hill?  

<1% chance on the first point.
<0.1% chance on the second one.

23 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Best you can hope for in Phase 3 is that it is included in a big bang build out. Unfortunately, since the streetcar is really a city project, rather than a CATS project,  Phase 3 has been conspicuously absent from most 2030 plan discussions.  There is also some wait and see with Phase 2, if it does well with ridership then we should hear more talk about Phase 3.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scribe said:

This was the reason I gave <1% for fast track.
Also, the city used Street Car as a way to repair/upgrade/relocate ancient utilities under Trade St.

Seems like most modern city StreetCar projects have only been an ‘Economic Boon’ for Washington DC.  All others just seem to be an interesting people mover for Center City districts like Atlanta and Kansas City.   

4 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Don't get me wrong, I am anti Street Car unless it's in a dedicated right-of-way (ROW).

So, until further changes are made to the Gold Line, I am anti Gold Line and want the money to go 100% to the Silver Line.

I agree - I would hope to see any future Phase III StreetCar down Central Ave (all the way to Eastland) to be similar to the BLE along N.Tryon St through UCity.  Not sure if there’s enough R.O.W width though.

On 12/23/2019 at 2:44 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Seems like most modern city StreetCar projects have only been an ‘Economic Boon’ for Washington DC.  All others just seem to be an interesting people mover for Center City districts like Atlanta and Kansas City.   

While there have certainly been some new streetcar disasters (St. Louis, Cincinnati, Atlanta), streetcars aren't all bad. Portland's has done really well -- ridership is solid and it generated a ton of redevelopment. Kansas City's streetcar has also created major changes in the city according to most folks there (I have not ridden it). While they are not new, Toronto's streetcars have also seen huge ridership gains recently, particularly as CTC has reduced auto interference on some of the routes.

Streetcars are not intended to move people long distances, they are intended to make it easy for people to move short distances in dense areas. The Gold Line (in Phase 2 configuration) can do that — its not reasonable to judge it by the same criteria we use for light rail. The streetcar is just not intended to wisk people into the city from the burbs, its meant to make urban living easier.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Which begs the question:  why is your friend choosing to move there if he/she is bothered by the construction?  It's not exactly a secret that there is ongoing construction of the Gold Line.  While I can sympathize with long-time residents who did not sign up for these disruptions when they moved to the area, new arrivals are a different case.

That is a good question. But she's been complaining about it since she found out about it.

Edited by Nick2