Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

On 2/8/2020 at 10:05 AM, kermit said:

The Portland streetcar is performing very well as a circulator. Unfortunately it runs at 20 minute headways, fortunately they recognize the need to reduce that. They are ordering additional vehicles and expect reduced headways to increase ridership.

If CATS runs four of its six vehicles our streetcar will operate at roughly 12 minute headways. Operating all six vehicles (not likely to happen) would result in 8 minute headways (assuming 10mph average speeds)

I hope they run all six during busy times. If one goes down for maintenance so be it. Would be a shame to not maximize what we have to decrease wait times. 

12 hours ago, Yeahdoug said:

I hope they run all six during busy times. If one goes down for maintenance so be it. Would be a shame to not maximize what we have to decrease wait times. 

I think CATS plans are/were to run them every 15 min all day.  Not sure if they’d have enough vehicles to run every 10 min during the morning  & evening rush hours.

I haven't snapped a pic of it, but in regards to the forgotten side of the Hawthorne Lane Bridge.....

The had laid down some concrete at the intersection of Hawthorne and Sunnyside, put in some molds and rebar - all of this after compacting a ton of gravel.  After coming home from a ski trip out west, I noticed they had dug up the concrete and piled it up.  They poured the concrete the night before we got a days worth of rain, which I am sure had an effect on the curing, but I doubt they are going to have this intersection opened back up by this Friday as they had originally mentioned.   They also hit a gas line yesterday, but that's been fixed.  They've installed some of the caternary poles as well.  

Will try to snap some pics today/this week - but no promises :tw_tounge_xd:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NOLA2CLT said:

I haven't snapped a pic of it, but in regards to the forgotten side of the Hawthorne Lane Bridge.....

The had laid down some concrete at the intersection of Hawthorne and Sunnyside, put in some molds and rebar - all of this after compacting a ton of gravel.  After coming home from a ski trip out west, I noticed they had dug up the concrete and piled it up.  They poured the concrete the night before we got a days worth of rain, which I am sure had an effect on the curing, but I doubt they are going to have this intersection opened back up by this Friday as they had originally mentioned.   They also hit a gas line yesterday, but that's been fixed.  They've installed some of the caternary poles as well.  

Will try to snap some pics today/this week - but no promises :tw_tounge_xd:

The street closure notice went out today and the closure of the intersection of 5th and Hawthorne has been extended to 02/21 while Sunnyside is still showing 02/14...

The giant power system/box for the streetcar went in behind St John’s Baptist this week - I will try to get a picture tomorrow. 

21 hours ago, sakami said:

The street closure notice went out today and the closure of the intersection of 5th and Hawthorne has been extended to 02/21 while Sunnyside is still showing 02/14...

The giant power system/box for the streetcar went in behind St John’s Baptist this week - I will try to get a picture tomorrow. 

And the street closure notice that just went out indicates E 5th and Hawthorne will be closed until 02/21.

7F614AED-D553-4C33-948F-28EB1B52253E.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I don't have a Twitter account.  Does "it" refer to the bridge, the street or the Gold Line?  Thanks.

"it" = GoldLine in full (from French st to Sunnyside)

CATS said the Hawthorne bridge will be opened before March April. :dontknow:

I am interested to see the strip maps that CATS produces for the two line system. I don't believe they ever had one for GL Phase 1.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kermit said:

"it" = GoldLine in full (from French st to Sunnyside)

CATS said the Hawthorne bridge will be opened before March. :dontknow:

I am interested to see the strip maps that CATS produces for the two line system. I don't believe they ever had one for GL Phase 1.

I think latest time given on the bridge was March 22.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jordan704 said:

All of the lights on my st were just replaced to LED and they weren't even broken. 

In my neighborhood (Wesley Heights), we (the neighborhood association) had to pay for some lights to be replaced and Duke paid for some.  Not sure how that informs new light installation in the area, but thought I would share.

• Like 1

Unit 406 (on left, it was the last one to be delivered) coupled to unit 403 in the North Yard. 

After testing and burn in is complete there is no reason that could not run these on the Blue Line while we wait for the Gold Line to be completed.

101D2C51-3B3D-4361-B341-4FBC1DADDDF1.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, CLT704 said:

Because an increase in capacity would only be temporary and eventually taken away? 

Sure, but it might ease the temporary capacity crunch produced by taking the  100 series gear out of service (hopefully just a unit or two at a time) for rebuild.

16 hours ago, Scribe said:

I thought the platform height was different from the normal light rail stock..!

99% sure platform height is the same for Gold Line new vehicles and Blue Line.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2