Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, pathb said:

At this point I'd be ready to jump off a bridge (if one was available)

CATs really needs to get its ish together with these contractors. One failure after another.  If the “Big Bang” ever comes up on the ballot few people will vote to approve with all the mismanagement by CATs. 

• Like 2

Isn't there a state law which requires accepting lowest bid even though you think they're incompetent? Puts them in a tough spot if true. I guess they need a lot closer monitoring but it's a hard call to pull the plug cause then they declare chap11 or something and all the $ are gone.

Still I would get new blood even without this issue since they also have unacceptable outages & delays on the blue line. I think the city management stinks of complacency and  good old Charlotte ”value engineering” at all levels.

• Like 3

On 8/8/2020 at 8:41 PM, DCtransplant said:

I77 underpass enhancements along the street car tracks with a seating area. A bit odd but much better than before. Best part of this is they have connected the sidewalk into the Greenway to Frazier park. Big win in accessibility for Seversville residents.2ec81804290dbacf9adf0ff0bfef1f83.jpg926eabf77281479cd62c2bb1ff49218b.jpg205a6602fc663d726a16633e9b20eaab.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I assume since the existing line already went under 277 by the Government Center, no pedestrian improvements are being planned there?  That is my typical walking route to work (when I decide to be the only pedestrian commuter in CLT).  The underpass does really create a mental barrier that separates the walk in a negative way.  Spending some amount on pedestrian improvements like the above could be huge especially since there is usually decent foot traffic around there with CPCC.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NYtoCLT said:

I assume since the existing line already went under 277 by the Government Center, no pedestrian improvements are being planned there?  That is my typical walking route to work (when I decide to be the only pedestrian commuter in CLT).  The underpass does really create a mental barrier that separates the walk in a negative way.  Spending some amount on pedestrian improvements like the above could be huge especially since there is usually decent foot traffic around there with CPCC.

Yep, already done under 277. And the W Trade ped enhancements under 77 is a City bond project funded separately from Streetcar

10 hours ago, pathb said:

This update from the City seems to indicate it's just the elevation of the concrete that was incorrect where the tracks are to be placed, not the mix/strength of the concrete.  From what I've read it sounds like it won't require a full demo of the track bed within the bridge deck, hopefully that is the case.  Honestly I'm pretty excited about the bridge potentially opening to ped/bike this month.  The volume of automobile traffic on Hawthorne is significantly reduced without the bridge in place, and it is a much quieter and safer street because of it.  Maybe we could petition to make this Charlotte's version of Tilikum Crossing in Portland - bike, ped, transit, and emergency vehicles only?

:tw_hushed:whew!! Elevation problem only - that can be corrected...

• Like 2

Something similar happened on the original Blue line. At the Stonewall station the rail line was over the hotel parking structure and somehow the concrete for the area underlying the rails was either too high or too low, I cannot recall which. This meant the cars would not have a seamless transition from the boarding area when rails were laid. There was a delay and the solution applied. Could have been a survey error.

Is anyone here alright with the idea of a shortened GoldLine overall to save money?  Initial plan was for a 10 mile buildout but I think if it ended at 7 or 8 miles that’d be alright with me.  I feel that phase III must include a Terminus at Eastland now that major development Is coming there.  Single prioritization along the route should happen to make it more reliable/faster transit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Is anyone here alright with the idea of a shortened GoldLine overall to save money?  Initial plan was for a 10 mile buildout but I think if it ended at 7 or 8 miles that’d be alright with me.  I feel that phase III must include a Terminus at Eastland now that major development Is coming there.  Single prioritization along the route should happen to make it more reliable/faster transit.

I think there should be the full 10 mile buildout but separate the line into two. Have each line terminate at Gateway or the CTC.

Signal priority and dedicated lanes where possible. Separate lanes at the end of the lines would be good, imagine trying to go along Central in traffic. 

Edited by CLT704
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, southslider said:

Continuing past CTC will be the only plus Streetcar has over Bus. Separate its tracks from traffic and that'd be another plus. But Central is not the street to lose lanes.  Besides, Central is so close to Silver Line, I don't see fulfilling that tired vision as a priority any longer.

I say continue up Hawthorne to Parkwood/Plaza to Matheson back over to Blue Line.  All streets with room to carve out exclusive tracks. And more importantly, all areas hot for more infill. 

That's actually a great idea! Maybe even go up to 36th and connect Plaza to Noda. 

• Like 3

On 8/15/2020 at 3:12 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

I think the best solution for Eastland, and East Charlotte, is creating a spur off the Silver Line onto Albemarle, with a stop near the Central/Albemarle intersection. I do think the northern end should stay, but with its own ROW. They could even extend it further north to the Northlake area. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

My guess is that this forum has zero to minimal representation from west or northwest Charlotte, and thus there is rarely discussion about development or potential development up the Beatties Ford corridor.  Some of those neighborhoods have as rich a history as Dilworth or Midwood, they're just left out of the conversation with little representation in forums like this one, the Agenda, ULI, etc. From a historical impact perspective, I think the northern end of the Gold Line could be a much bigger deal than the Central corridor, bringing a much higher quality level of transit into neighborhoods that have spent decades "left out and left behind." 

Unfortunately, I'd bet most of that development takes the form of gentrification rather than the development we typically see along transit.  Just not as much big parcels to be repurposed ala Brevard St or Sugar Creek.