Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

42 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

completed tracks near the Square where the trains run by the sidewalk.  I hope there is plans to limit where people can cross with barriers of some sort or pedestrian accidents will happen by distracted walkers.  These trains will not stop on the dime.  Houston has that where the tracks are right at the sidewalk.  No jaywalking maybe with chained off areas with pedestrians crossing on the street corners. 

I dunno, I suspect ringing the bell a bunch when passing through will do the trick and crosswalk indicators will be tied to the presence of the Gold Line. There aren't many car-ped incidents here as is, so I am not sure we should expect more streetcar-ped incidents.

This sort of open track setup exists in many cities (Portland, Dallas, Boston, Cleveland, San Francisco, Toronto, Melbourne, Vienna, Amsterdam, Zurich, Geneva, Hong Kong, Milan, Munich, Berlin, London, Manchester... and also pedestrian crossings on the Blue Line)  and it generally works fine. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

I could certainly imagine Phase 2.5 (French St to I-85, plus French st storage facility) could be funded through a congressional earmark (if Alma Adams is paying attention) in the next couple of years. It would be a very high visibility opportunity for an infrastructure project.  Of course this would require the city pushing for it, which is something I have not seen yet. I would guess it could be built for less than $30 million (its about 1.5 miles).

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/11/20/hoyer-earmarks-are-likely-coming-back-next-year/

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 4:37 PM, kermit said:

I could certainly imagine Phase 2.5 (French St to I-85, plus French st storage facility) could be funded through a congressional earmark (if Alma Adams is paying attention) in the next couple of years. It would be a very high visibility opportunity for an infrastructure project.  Of course this would require the city pushing for it, which is something I have not seen yet. I would guess it could be built for less than $30 million (its about 1.5 miles).

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/11/20/hoyer-earmarks-are-likely-coming-back-next-year/

That $30 Million estimate is taking in the cost of a Rail Bridge over NC16?  I think it would be higher...

I forgot about the bridge over the Brookshire, that was a big careless error. So scratch my $30 million estimate, unless NCDOT plans to pay for bridge replacement separately (like on the Silver Line Catawba bridge).

I didn’t think they planned to go over 85. I don’t see what you gain from that vs terminating it just short of the interstate.

Edited by kermit

On 11/22/2020 at 7:34 AM, kermit said:

I forgot about the bridge over the Brookshire, that was a big careless error. So scratch my $30 million estimate, unless NCDOT plans to pay for bridge replacement separately (like on the Silver Line Catawba bridge).

I didn’t think they planned to go over 85. I don’t see what you gain from that vs terminating it just short of the interstate.

I think their reasoning is to connect the Gold Line to the Rosa Parks Transit Center, which is inconveniently on the other side of the I-85 bridge. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

I think their reasoning is to connect the Gold Line to the Rosa Parks Transit Center, which is inconveniently on the other side of the I-85 bridge. 

aww man, I do remember that now. I guess CATS doesn't spend much time thinking about avoidable costs when doing initial route scoping. Bummer.

(and my apologies for my wildly uninformed cost estimates -- its a good thing that is not my job)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, kermit said:

There is no technical maximum length, its only a question of how long will riders tolerate the ride. The Blue Line was planned mostly for end to center riders, since the Gold Line is intended for circulation, rather than long-distance rides, length should be functionally irrelevant.

Unfortunately, CATS has said that Gold Line frequency will be 15 minutes at peak and 'longer' at off peak so its value as a circulator is pretty limited at these frequencies. For streetcars to work well they need to be at 5 minute frequencies (see Toronto, Melbourne or any European city), CATS is wasting this opportunity because they are cheap.

Guess I’ll just walk halfway to where I’m going before I hop on :tw_sweat_smile:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/10/2020 at 7:13 PM, LKN704 said:

Oof...30 min headways on Sundays, and 15 mins during peak times. I get trains are sexy and its easier to get people out of their cars and onto trains than it is to get them on a bus, but taking the headways into consideration it seems almost like a waste of money to me. An enhanced circulator style bus service that ran every 10 minutes (like the Gold Rush Trolleys) would have been a greater investment. 

Then again, I looked at other operating streetcars in the US and that seems to be the norm:

-Portland: 15min peak/20 min off peak

-SLC: 15 min peak/20 min off peak

-OKC: 15 mins all day

-Dallas: 20 minutes at all times

-DC: 12 minutes all day

-Tucson: 10-15 mins weekdays, 20-30 minutes weekends

I wonder who the target market for the streetcar is supposed to be. Considering its length, walking to your destination would probably be faster than waiting for the train 50% of the time. 

Geez.

Cant believe DC is better than the rest because that streetcar is the most useless thing in the world (but it does look pretty....).

I say that as a person who only uses public transportation in DC. I want to like it, I would love to use it. But I’m not spending 30 minutes of my life waiting on a streetcar to go a mile or so. Especially when a bike lane can get me where I need in a few minutes. Or buses or Uber or even just walking. 

Back in Charlotte when I worked at BofA Corp., I’d take the streetcar when it first opened. Seeing it just leave the transit center, at 5pm. It was literally faster to walk nearly the entire thing. Streetcars need to have dedicated lanes. 

IMO, the only thing that may save this streetcar is students from CPCC. Especially if their tuition covers free rides. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, jthomas said:

Pitiful, isn't it? The additional cost of purchasing and operating one or two additional vehicles in order to provide useful service seems like it would be relatively small compared to the cost of constructing the systems in the first place. But then again, few American cities are interested in operating useful public transit. Most of these systems seem to be built for reasons other than increasing mobility for people...

Agree. I'm a fanatic about using mass transit to reduce my footprint but Charlotte's system is a joke. If even I drive they have little hope of making an impact. And that's just because of headways don't get me started on nothing running on schedule or far to frequent down times. They run it like it's a toy railroad. Why they heck haven't we cut the head off this agency and restaffed??

• Like 4