Sabaidee

Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

42 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

completed tracks near the Square where the trains run by the sidewalk.  I hope there is plans to limit where people can cross with barriers of some sort or pedestrian accidents will happen by distracted walkers.  These trains will not stop on the dime.  Houston has that where the tracks are right at the sidewalk.  No jaywalking maybe with chained off areas with pedestrians crossing on the street corners. 

I dunno, I suspect ringing the bell a bunch when passing through will do the trick and crosswalk indicators will be tied to the presence of the Gold Line. There aren't many car-ped incidents here as is, so I am not sure we should expect more streetcar-ped incidents.

This sort of open track setup exists in many cities (Portland, Dallas, Boston, Cleveland, San Francisco, Toronto, Melbourne, Vienna, Amsterdam, Zurich, Geneva, Hong Kong, Milan, Munich, Berlin, London, Manchester... and also pedestrian crossings on the Blue Line)  and it generally works fine. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

I hope you are right but people with ear buds everywhere and walking and talking on their phones.  Some unfortunately will find out the wrong way. It will be a learning curve for those in this city especially with vehicles and trains as it was in Houston. 

• Like 2

I could certainly imagine Phase 2.5 (French St to I-85, plus French st storage facility) could be funded through a congressional earmark (if Alma Adams is paying attention) in the next couple of years. It would be a very high visibility opportunity for an infrastructure project.  Of course this would require the city pushing for it, which is something I have not seen yet. I would guess it could be built for less than $30 million (its about 1.5 miles).

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/11/20/hoyer-earmarks-are-likely-coming-back-next-year/

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 4:37 PM, kermit said:

I could certainly imagine Phase 2.5 (French St to I-85, plus French st storage facility) could be funded through a congressional earmark (if Alma Adams is paying attention) in the next couple of years. It would be a very high visibility opportunity for an infrastructure project.  Of course this would require the city pushing for it, which is something I have not seen yet. I would guess it could be built for less than $30 million (its about 1.5 miles).

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/11/20/hoyer-earmarks-are-likely-coming-back-next-year/

That $30 Million estimate is taking in the cost of a Rail Bridge over NC16?  I think it would be higher...

5 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

That $30 Million estimate is taking in the cost of a Rail Bridge over NC16?  I think it would be higher...

Probably much higher, especially if the I-85 bridge has to be replaced too. 

I forgot about the bridge over the Brookshire, that was a big careless error. So scratch my $30 million estimate, unless NCDOT plans to pay for bridge replacement separately (like on the Silver Line Catawba bridge).

I didn’t think they planned to go over 85. I don’t see what you gain from that vs terminating it just short of the interstate.

Edited by kermit

On 11/22/2020 at 7:34 AM, kermit said:

I forgot about the bridge over the Brookshire, that was a big careless error. So scratch my $30 million estimate, unless NCDOT plans to pay for bridge replacement separately (like on the Silver Line Catawba bridge).

I didn’t think they planned to go over 85. I don’t see what you gain from that vs terminating it just short of the interstate.

I think their reasoning is to connect the Gold Line to the Rosa Parks Transit Center, which is inconveniently on the other side of the I-85 bridge. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

I think their reasoning is to connect the Gold Line to the Rosa Parks Transit Center, which is inconveniently on the other side of the I-85 bridge. 

aww man, I do remember that now. I guess CATS doesn't spend much time thinking about avoidable costs when doing initial route scoping. Bummer.

(and my apologies for my wildly uninformed cost estimates -- its a good thing that is not my job)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think CATS is teasing anything here but it really is time to see test runs on actual Gold Line track.

How is Hawthorne bridge looking?

• Like 4