Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

7 hours ago, JacksonH said:

So I just heard Mayor Lyles tell CNN that, because of the gasoline "shortage" mess from the cyberattack, the city of Charlotte has opened up all public transportation for free -- "our buses, our light rail, our streetcars," she said.  So is the Gold Line running today?  :) What other streetcar is there?  This seems like the perfect opportunity to crank it up!

Did CNN id her as mayor of Charlotte without the "NC"?

On 5/10/2021 at 3:31 PM, JeanClt said:

I cannot deny that CATS management is questionable, but I would also like to point out that CATS as an organization isn’t constructing the project and make mistakes (at least not entirely)? It seems that the contractor is the one making logistical mistakes and slowing down the project (Not denying that there hasn’t been some contributing factors by CATS itself since they have not been as transparent as everyone would like) but still this issue is not 1 dimensional and I believe in most cases the contractor is to blame as well. I rarely see anyone addressing them or as separate entity which surely they must be? Unless I am out of my mind lol. Also the selection process for the lowest contract bidder does not always secure the best quality and delivery on deadlines. I am also not well informed in how these two entities are working together exactly, but construction mistakes that need to be corrected should not (most likely) fall on CATS to a certain degree. If I knew more about their relationship, communication, and decisions: I could probably tell more concisely what body is at fault for the delays. I just wanted to bring attention to the other bodies that have a role in this project. It can be easy to blame a singular body versus multiple for multiple reasons and faults.

Not to mention they are required by the state to take the lowest offer, which isn't always the best offer.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, pathb said:

Exciting to see this thing running!  Lots of testing going on today.  

PXL_20210523_163353048.jpg

This literally looks like a rendering photo, which I guess is a good thing? 

Joking aside, I've seen them running, I don't know their actual speed, but visually they appear to be keeping with the flow of traffic. 

13 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

This literally looks like a rendering photo, which I guess is a good thing?

It really does! I have only seen photos so far but it looks so good under the trees in the square, it will certainly become a Charlotte icon.

Its hard to tell from the photos but I think the pantograph retracts while the vehicle is moving through the unwired section?

I drove down Trade street on Saturday (hoping to see some testing). I didn't have a good look but I was concerned about sidewalk width at the Southbound station at Tryon. The photo above does show this area. The elevated platform appears to consume most of the sidewalk there. I hope it was just my bad view while driving by.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kermit said:

It really does! I have only seen photos so far but it looks so good under the trees in the square, it will certainly become a Charlotte icon.

Its hard to tell from the photos but I think the pantograph retracts while the vehicle is moving through the unwired section?

I drove down Trade street on Saturday (hoping to see some testing). I didn't have a good look but I was concerned about sidewalk width at the Southbound station at Tryon. The photo above does show this area. The elevated platform appears to consume most of the sidewalk there. I hope it was just my bad view while driving by.

I didn't even notice the lack of wires, but it does look that way. I live a block from the gateway stop and saw two streetcars stop there the other day, one arrived as the other was leaving, seems weird they delayed till August. As someone who's family lives in a European city with an extensive tram system (Antwerp) I find the overhead wires somewhat romantic, but I also understand why they wouldn't want them on the square. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, kermit said:

You mean east bound? :)

The sidewalk is definitely narrow there. I know Meck Parks & Rec has been working on plans to redo Polk Park, so hopefully that can be addressed then. In the meantime it is a minor annoyance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s really cool seeing them run all day. If I had one criticism it’s the operator are bell crazy right now. The thing sounds all the way through uptown and it’s all I hear within one block. They sound all the way through the intersection even though they follow traffic lights. Watching streetcars operate in other cities they usually just sound a single bell as they approach. Hopefully it’s just for the testing/training phase. I love how quiet the vehicle itself is. 

Edited by Yeahdoug
  • Like 4

For those that have followed the streetcar progress so far, when would you bet phase 3 starts/ends? My wife and I are on the east side near the phase 3 potential route on Central, and are looking to either add an addition or move to a bigger place (a bit farther from the action for $$ purposes). Thoughts?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, EastGuy4884 said:

For those that have followed the streetcar progress so far, when would you bet phase 3 starts/ends? My wife and I are on the east side near the phase 3 potential route on Central, and are looking to either add an addition or move to a bigger place (a bit farther from the action for $$ purposes). Thoughts?

Given the absence of funding or engineering plans the best case is it will be at least 10 years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yeahdoug said:

Is the new overhead electrical system not working? For the last few weeks the cars just appear to be running on battery on the west side. Haven’t seen them connected up since the first couple of runs earlier in the year. 

Maybe it is a west side problem because the car I saw Monday night on Hawthorne was definitely connected to the lines. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sakami said:

Maybe it is a west side problem because the car I saw Monday night on Hawthorne was definitely connected to the lines. 

I figured they were probably connecting back up on the east side to recharge. No way they could run that long on batteries only.