Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

23 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

The streetcar shouldn’t have been built if 5 minute frequencies can’t be afforded. Because it’s not that useful otherwise (at least 10 minute frequencies) 

Who in the world wants to spend 30+ minutes (assume you walk to the station, wait 15 minutes. Then 7 minutes on the streetcar and then another few minutes to where you are going) when you could literally drive to your destination in 7 minutes From door to door.  Or you could scooter in about 10 minutes or Uber.... People wanting to hop to a place like Big Ben and in walking distance of streetcar definitely can afford Uber.

It took nearly 40 minutes to go from my friends place at 550 uptown to Blaze Pizza in SouthEnd using light rail. The Uber ride back was 7 minutes... 

The frequencies need to be better or ridership will not grow. The city should eat the costs. 

Understood.  So if we went out and strongly advocated for 5 minute or perhaps 10 minute frequencies, what would be required? Would that be a couple of additional street cars and new drivers?  Or would that mean shortening the current street car into a single vehicle instead of the dual-vehicle I've been seeing?  I suppose 5-min frequencies would mean Trade Street and Hawthorne would be perenially backed up because there's no lane for motorists to skirt around the street car at its stop.  I wonder how much time they're allotting for people to get on and off the train at each stop - 30 seconds?  60 seconds?  Could that number go down if train stops more frequent?

Edited by RANYC

16 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Understood.  So if we went out and strongly advocated for 5 minute or perhaps 10 minute frequencies, what would be required? Would that be a couple of additional street cars and new drivers?  Or would that mean shortening the current street car into a single vehicle instead of the dual-vehicle I've been seeing?  I suppose 5-min frequencies would mean Trade Street and Hawthorne would be perenially backed up because there's no lane for motorists to skirt around the street car at its stop.  I wonder how much time they're allotting for people to get on and off the train at each stop - 30 seconds?  60 seconds?  Could that number go down if train stops more frequent?

Not sure how many more vehicles they would need for five minute service. I believe they have enough to maintain 10 minute service (with one spare vehicle). 

They only use single vehicles on the Gold Line -- they do not have couplers to run 2 vehicles like on the Blue Line. The vehicles are double ended (driver cabins at both ends) since there are no turning loops. There is now way to disassemble these units and have them be operable.

I have not ridden the Gold Line yet but stop times on the Blue Line are generally about 20 seconds, I would think Gold Line would be equal or shorter.

Currently riding the full route. Not even done yet, had one “reset” where the train had to turn off and on again, as well as two vehicles on the tracks (will edit if we encounter another) dwell time was 15 mins at the terminus, at which we were forced to vacate the train. Currently some sleazy looking Channel 9 reporter is on here with his cameraman, so I’m curious as to what his report will sound like. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Currently riding the full route. Not even done yet, had one “reset” where the train had to turn off and on again, as well as two vehicles on the tracks (will edit if we encounter another) dwell time was 15 mins at the terminus, at which we were forced to vacate the train. Currently some sleazy looking Channel 9 reporter is on here with his cameraman, so I’m curious as to what his report will sound like. 

curious to hear more of your full experience. How long it was etc. what your thoughts are. 

38 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Looks like it was Joe Bruno on the train with you. Here is the article and video:

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/when-will-charlottes-embattled-streetcar-project-open/LI6DRDMUT5GP7A5W3GUCL5WONM/

Yep I think I  was the only other one on the train at that time, that was when there was a delay due to an ambulance. Great timing for the live shot. Surprised they didn’t ask for comment from me. 

14 hours ago, nakers2 said:

After continuing up Trade the streetcar had to wait for a parked motorist through three light cycles before they ran out to move their car. The operator was on the radio and honking the whole time, unclear what the solution would've been if they hadn't moved.

CATS needs to get together an army of tow trucks sitting around on standby for this. I noticed a handful of cars on the tracks saturday and sunday, most with their flashers on outside restaurants. 

• Like 3

This photo from the Axios article about the Streetcar opening is a little depressing.  It's only been running passengers for one day and the route map is already peeling off?! 

spacer.png

Article: https://charlotte.axios.com/270664/the-long-awaited-gold-line-streetcar-is-here/

Edited by TGIBridays

We took it from gateway to plaza last night too. Train was arriving when we walked up so that was all good. Still took a good 30 mins to get to Sunnyside. The ride back was not good. First we waited 10 mins for the train to arrive. Then it stayed another 10-15 mins in the turn around area. On the way back it stopped at CTC for a worker change for 8 mins. Took us about an hour to get back to Gateway. Insert yikes face here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

2 minutes ago, Yeahdoug said:

We took it from gateway to plaza last night too. Train was arriving when we walked up so that was all good. Still took a good 30 mins to get to Sunnyside. The ride back was not good. First we waited 10 mins for the train to arrive. Then it stayed another 10-15 mins in the turn around area. On the way back it stopped at CTC for a worker change for 8 mins. Took us about an hour to get back to Gateway. Insert yikes face here. 

An hour!!! Gosh.... could have almost driven to Winston-Salem or Hickory in the same amount of time. 

12 minutes ago, kermit said:

The Gold Line is clearly unconscionably slow, but keep in mind that almost no one, other than us nerds, are going to ride its full length or wait at the turn-around for the return trip.

[but yes, speed and frequency still suck]

good point - I suppose we are all in a bit of a bubble here in these threads

3 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Does the blue line still do driver changes mid-run? I remember that being really aggravating for a long time - not sure if they still do that practice though.

On the same note  how long are the shifts on the streetcar? I know a few people that rode it yesterday and all had driver changes at the CTC on at least one leg. We  all could have timed our rides in sync with the shifts, just seemed odd.

6 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Does the blue line still do driver changes mid-run? I remember that being really aggravating for a long time - not sure if they still do that practice though.

Yup, crew changes are still happening at Parkwood Station. I have only lived through one in the 7 days I have been a commuter again, but they seem a little speedier than pre-pandemic 

2 hours ago, kermit said:

Yup, crew changes are still happening at Parkwood Station. I have only lived through one in the 7 days I have been a commuter again, but they seem a little speedier than pre-pandemic 

I think the Blue Line is *run* in the same degree of efficiency as any other transit system. I think the Gold Line will still take some getting used to for the operators as well (many who are also light rail operators.) 

On 8/31/2021 at 2:13 PM, kermit said:

The Gold Line is clearly unconscionably slow, but keep in mind that almost no one, other than us nerds, are going to ride its full length or wait at the turn-around for the return trip.

[but yes, speed and frequency still suck]

People aren't going to be riding it much at all with the timings mentioned.

Rode it again. The 20 min wait at sunnyside with the train sitting in the turn around spot is so annoying. Like they are purposely slowing everything down. I feel like 10 min frequency is not that far away. Maybe only one extra car and going 5 more mph. I doubt we broke 25 mph on our way back at 11 pm.  It was still 50 mins total with the initial wait at sunnyside to go to gateway. 

we laughed because there were some runners we caught up to at the Tryon stop and they beat us to CPCC. Lmao 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1