Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

On 8/31/2021 at 2:22 PM, CLT> said:

The pantograph has been down for quite a few of  the cars way outside  of the Poplar-College stretch where there is no overhead wire. Any idea what the vehicle's range is on battery power alone?

Apparently it's just over 15 miles. https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/59859-longest-distance-travelled-by-a-battery-powered-tram-single-charge-in-24-hours

3 hours ago, kermit said:

So is the suggestion here that potential riders  will just decide to run 7 minute miles instead of riding? At what point will the GL be considered a success by this metric, when it beats 4 minute milers?

I guess these stories do their job as clickbait, and they are entertaining but they really don’t tell us much about the actual transit. They really could have developed their signal-priority throw away sentence into something useful.

Uh, I think they're using exaggeration as a rhetorical device to make a point about the convenience and utility of the Gold Line.  It's a whimsical periodical that often takes such liberties.  I suppose it's not for such literal readers.  You don't have to agree with the implication, but again it's just hyperbole. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

View from Baltimore- the light rail here is woefully underutilized and rightfully vilified for this very reason- it takes FOREVER to get anywhere on it. It rolls slowly and has too many stops to make it an efficient method of transportation, at least for commuters. Drivers hate it because it blocks intersections…those 2 factors alone means those drivers will never even consider using it. If you’re on a leisurely day trip, sure, but in a day-to-day life that’s go-go-go it’s just not a great choice. I want to like it, but my car is a WAY faster way to get around and goes all the places light rail doesn’t. [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yeahdoug said:

Sitting at sunnyside rn. Been waiting for the train to move out of the turn around spot going on 30 mins now… 

I rode tonight for the first time. I didn't have time to go from end to end so I started at Tryon and rode to Sunnyside. Had to get off of the train of course at the end. Not sure we waited even 15 minutes. If it was a full 15, it certainly didn't seem like it. The return trip to Tryon seemed to go faster. I think we hit a few more red lights on the way out than on the way back. Overall a good experience.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TheMightyBK said:

View from Baltimore- the light rail here is woefully underutilized and rightfully vilified for this very reason- it takes FOREVER to get anywhere on it. It rolls slowly and has too many stops to make it an efficient method of transportation, at least for commuters. Drivers hate it because it blocks intersections…those 2 factors alone means those drivers will never even consider using it. If you’re on a leisurely day trip, sure, but in a day-to-day life that’s go-go-go it’s just not a great choice. I want to like it, but my car is a WAY faster way to get around and goes all the places light rail doesn’t. emoji2371.png

Yeah, all this talk makes me hope that grade separation is a priority for the Silver Line at least for a majority of the alignment.   Obviously the street car isn't really meant to be a fast transportation method.  It should be reliable and frequent (things it sounds like they may need to work on).

9 hours ago, jednc said:

I rode tonight for the first time. I didn't have time to go from end to end so I started at Tryon and rode to Sunnyside. Had to get off of the train of course at the end. Not sure we waited even 15 minutes. If it was a full 15, it certainly didn't seem like it. The return trip to Tryon seemed to go faster. I think we hit a few more red lights on the way out than on the way back. Overall a good experience.

I can’t seem to catch the timing right. On our way to plaza it was pulling away as we got to the stop. Waiting 20 mins for the next one. On the way home there must have been some separation issues. It was in the turn around for 30 mins and then we had a “separation timing adjustment” wait at CTC for 10 mins. Over all about 75 mins to go sunnyside to gateway at 10 pm last night lol Even free right now I’m not sure it’s worth it. Just takes so much time. 

we were also the only ones on the train both ways. 6 pm and 10 pm 

Edited by Yeahdoug
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Doesn’t Baltimore run in the streets and follow traffic signals in areas? 

Yes.  It runs in-street on Howard St from just a few blocks north of Camden Yards until the area of MLK Jr Blvd just South of 83 and Penn Station.  

Baltimore Light Rail has a lot of problems, but I think one of its biggest issues is that the cars are old, dirty and klunky.  Definitely not the Siemens S70s like we have here.  Also, IIRC the few times I’ve ridden it, the frequencies were terrible.   

Edit:  I think the frequencies were maybe terrible for the Pen Station Shuttle.  But the fact that they didn’t connect the main trunk line to Penn Station is another problem.

Edited by cltbwimob

6 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

Yes.  It runs in-street on Howard St from just a few blocks north of Camden Yards until the area of MLK Jr Blvd just South of 83 and Penn Station.  

Baltimore Light Rail has a lot of problems, but I think one of its biggest issues is that the cars are old, dirty and klunky.  Definitely not the Siemens S70s like we have here.  Also, IIRC the few times I’ve ridden it, the frequencies were terrible.   

Edit:  I think the frequencies were may just be terrible for the Pen Station Shuttle.  But the fact that they didn’t connect the main trunk line to Penn Station is another problem.

That’s actually why I never rode the light rail. It doesn’t connect to Penn. I’d visit Baltimore a little more if Penn were better connected to the light rail/closer to the harbor (because I take MARC to Penn and it starts to become a pain to do so much just to grab a beer around the harbor) 

Moral of story... frequency, convenience and good routings make a difference. 

The city and CATS are handing opponents to this so much fuel to add to their fires. Honestly, without dedicated ROW (or at the very least signal prioritization) street cars built like this are more for heavy tourist areas where a percentage of riders are in more in a casual mode. 

If they don't figure something out soon this is going to be seen as a failure for the foreseeable future. There are limited TOD opportunities along the current stretch with Novant, CPCC, and the edge of the government district skirting it. 

3 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

It's a shame too bc this area has sooo much potential.  It could be a very cool strolling district if there were more shops, restaurants, & bars lining the length of Elizbeth on both sides from the hospital to CPCC.

1810612994_Screenshot2021-09-10120250.png.4c24862c260aa149ebe9de4bf0ec444d.png

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t there a single company holding many of these parcels along Elizabeth, hostage? Similar to the Levine situation in First Ward? I want to say Grubb but I’m not completely sure. I remember hearing about a mixed-use development being proposed somewhere along this stretch, but I believe it’s been years since an update. I also remember Whole Foods was rumored in this area, years before the Uptown location came to fruition. 

8 hours ago, Yeahdoug said:

I can’t seem to catch the timing right. On our way to plaza it was pulling away as we got to the stop. Waiting 20 mins for the next one. On the way home there must have been some separation issues. It was in the turn around for 30 mins and then we had a “separation timing adjustment” wait at CTC for 10 mins. Over all about 75 mins to go sunnyside to gateway at 10 pm last night lol Even free right now I’m not sure it’s worth it. Just takes so much time. 

we were also the only ones on the train both ways. 6 pm and 10 pm 

That would certainly make me not want to ride again. Cats has got to do better.

15 hours ago, TheRealClayton said:

Its the hospital. Grubb was just their master developer, I don't believe they are any longer.

Novant is land-banking to maintain options for “keeping up with the Jones’s”, who maintain a more impressive campus on Blythe Blvd. and will soon control even more of the corridor across morehead where the new clinics are opening and the med school campus and research labs will go.  

If Novant is going to partner with UNC to bring a satellite school or more of its clinical teaching programs to the area, it’ll need as much property in the Elizabeth Avenue corridor as possible.

It’s just a shame to see what was once Elizabeth’s East Blvd continue to sit in such an underutilized condition.  Would be really awesome to see a pivot from the old Grubb “European-Style Village” concept to a medical teaching, clinics, and offices village concept with retail and dining accessible, from first floor street fronts. 

• Like 1

Apparently CATS staffing issues are making the already terrible Gold Line frequency even worse. 

"Due to operator constraints, CityLYNX Gold Line is currently operating on a 40-minute schedule. We apologize for any inconvenience."  - https://twitter.com/CATSRideTransit/status/1437562799832633350?s=20

Edited by TGIBridays
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

35 minutes ago, TGIBridays said:

Apparently CATS staffing issues are making the already terrible Gold Line frequency even worse. 

"Due to operator constraints, CityLYNX Gold Line is currently operating on a 40-minute schedule. We apologize for any inconvenience."  - https://twitter.com/CATSRideTransit/status/1437562799832633350?s=20

Why bother running it at all? Do we need to in order to keep the Federal funding? 

Drive time right now from Charlotte to Statesville: 41 miles, 40 minutes
Max time right now to ride a train a maximum of 4 miles: 40 minute wait + 25 minute ride time = 65 minutes

Hopefully this is just temporary. If they have constraints for operators.... why are there no job postings for that role on the city website? There are a couple of other CATS roles posted, but none for a rail operator. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1