Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

On 11/8/2021 at 9:52 AM, davidclt said:

"Maybe the loops are broken" - CDOT any time anyone questions the really poor timing of traffic signals in this town.

I'll rant here about the call to bring back the speed and red light cameras (and I say of of this as an avid pedestrian and advocate of transit): CDOT should look for more of a carrot approach before bringing out the speed and red light camera sticks again. We supposedly have a sophisticated traffic light and traffic management system in Charlotte. I see no evidence of that. CDOT gets very defensive when anyone questions their engineering of the system (maybe sensors are out, etc.).

I can’t remember who it was, but the person in charge of Charlotte’s traffic light system, specifically uptown, was on Charlotte talks last year. They were very clear that most of the traffics signals in uptown are “dumb”. They work purely off time. The only thing they change to make it “smart” is vary the timing depending on the time of day. They can sync them to change together or offset one another, but very few have sensor loops in the ground to actually sense a vehicle. It’s really stupid that early in the morning I’m having to stop on trade for a light changing for no reason lol. 

Also related to this are a lot of the new pedestrian signals say. “For audio signal only” or something like that. I don’t think they have any influence on the signal changing. Just whether or not the machine gun sounds are used. 

Edited by Yeahdoug
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Yeahdoug said:

I can’t remember who it was, but the person in charge of Charlotte’s traffic light system, specifically uptown, was on Charlotte talks last year. They were very clear that most of the traffics signals in uptown are “dumb”. They work purely off time. The only thing they change to make it “smart” is vary the timing depending on the time of day. They can sync them to change together or offset one another, but very few have sensor loops in the ground to actually sense a vehicle. It’s really stupid that early in the morning I’m having to stop on trade for a light changing for no reason lol. 

Also related to this are a lot of the new pedestrian signals say. “For audio signal only” or something like that. I don’t think they have any influence on the signal changing. Just whether or not the machine gun sounds are used. 

A Trifling Place, Episode 7: Turn Green Already! | WFAE 90.7 - Charlotte's NPR News Source

How can you avoid hitting back-to-back red lights in Charlotte? | WFAE 90.7 - Charlotte's NPR News Source

1 hour ago, Yeahdoug said:

The ped signals in Uptown are all automatic, meaning that you don't have to use the beg button. To comply with ADA, they provide the buttons so hard of sight individuals can know when to cross. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 7:53 AM, CLT2014 said:

The operators need to increase the speed too. Buses don't have signal priority and operate in mixed traffic as well. The bus drivers don't drive like a ride at Disney World though... they hit the gas and get that baby up to 35 mph in between lights.

I've compared  the Route 1 and Route 7 bus line to the Street Car for getting from the CTC to Johnson C Smith a few times. The route 1 bus typically PASSES the street car on the multi-lane portion of Trade Street because the bus isn't moving insanely slow. It is pretty consistently 6 - 10 minutes from CTC to Rozzelles Ferry/Trade on the Route 1 or Route 7.  The Street Car is taking 13 - 15 minutes to do the same route consistently while you watch the bus fly by you (let alone the cars and bike riders passing you).

Add in Route 1 and Route 7 overlap to provide frequency roughly every 15 minutes and the only reason to take the Gold Line is if you have spare time on your hands or really need to cross town and don't own a car. Even if you do need to cross town from Plaza Midwood to Johnson C Smith, you can save about 10 minutes by sticking with a bus connection at the CTC... because even with a connection buses move faster to make up the time. 

The good thing for the community is this area has some of the better bus service in the city, so users who aren't scared of buses can get to where they need to go relatively efficiently without relying on the Gold Line crawling on Trade.

This is very true. You ride streetcars in cities with more established system and the operators run their vehicles with purpose. The CATS operators are quite conservative compared to their peers in KC, Portland, and Seattle. 

The CATS operators also seem to stop at the hint of yellow (crosswalk signal is sub 5 seconds). Other systems I have been on, the operator punches it at the hint of yellow and acts like they are the king of the road. Don't even get me going on the stuff operators pull on systems I have been on in Rome, Milan, and Helsinki.

It doesn't do a ton connection wise but one of the best streetcar experiences in the US is the Tacoma Link in my opinion. It operates with signal priority which helps it move smoothly and consistently through town and also has some dedicated raised median sections which work quite well. Even the mixed traffic sections flow well with the signal preemption.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, tozmervo said:

The ped signals in Uptown are all automatic, meaning that you don't have to use the beg button. To comply with ADA, they provide the buttons so hard of sight individuals can know when to cross. 

Yeah that’s what I mean. The button doesn’t really influence the traffic signal. No need to hit it unless you need the audio. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just walked the route hoping to hop on a train as it came by.  Walked from Trade and Tryon to Hawthorne and 8th and no train ever passed me.  Was curious how long it would take.  Waited another 11 minutes before one finally came.  I take it occasionally but it is SOOO inconsistent, it would be impossible to regularly rely on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Before total abandonment, I would like to see decent service provided by CATS/CDOT. Because if that isn't possible, good BRT also would not be possible. If consistent 10-minute service with dedicated lanes and signal priority still can't fix things, then I agree BRT is the only viable way forward.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ajfunder said:

There is so much wrong with how CATS is utilizing this system thus far. I don't think the towel can be thrown in until CATS starts treating this new multi-million dollar transportation tool seriously. Headways should be every 10 minutes, minimum. CATS should have bought more vehicles if it can't do this with what they bought, but they should be able to close the gap with the below:

There are at least a dozen intersections which should always be green for the streetcar. The streetcar has no business ever stopping at red lights at: E 5th, Myers, Alexander, Brevard, CTC, Tryon, Poplar, Pine, Cedar, Irwin and a few others. Personally I would like to see priority over all intersections, but stopping at a red light at say Myers or Alexander is just a absolute joke.

Also, I would like to see a pull chord/stop request system implemented for the majority of the stops. I have ridden systems with this and it saves a ton of time being able to bypass lesser used stops (Hawthorne & 5th, McDowell,  Davidson, etc.)

Lastly, the line needs to be extended to say Morningside on Central ASAP.  Pretty sure you could even do it offwire which saves a ton of cost. You have to make transit easy in this city for it to be utilized and Sunnyside is just a bit too far from the heart of Plaza Midwood in my opinion. It is also a bit "out of sight, out of mind" for most visitors to the Plaza neighborhood.

Rant over lol.

Anecdotally, I seem to see a streetcar every time I walk on Trade (so I'm surprised that the consensus is that they run too infrequently). That said, I agree 100% with your comments (possibly aside from extending the line in PM with urgency). Signal preemption is a no-brainer and utilizing pull cords is a great idea. Both would make this system work exponentially better and with little cost to CATS (unlike the mini expansion you proposed).

On 11/30/2021 at 10:46 AM, EllAyyDub said:

Trams in mid-sized European cities astound me with how they just barrel through pedestrian plazas. I love it.  Specifically thinking of Bordeaux, which has built like 50 miles of highly used & efficient tram lines since 2000, but there are numerous other examples.

It does make you have to keep your head on a swivel. These would run over so many dunk or oblivious people in Charlotte.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, pathb said:

The Gold Line has averaged about 1,275 passenger trips on the average weekday.
https://charlotteledger.substack.com/p/transit-time-a-rocky-start-for-charlottes

The delays are unfortunate, but luckily it doesn't really impact many people since the vast majority of people haven't shifting their previous commuting pattern to something less efficient and not reliable. It is a shame we spent all that money for such poor operations though.

Assuming usually roundtrip riders, only 637 people impacted a day or roughly 0.07% of the city's population, or roughly the amount of kids in an elementary school, or the upper level of the Knight Theater or the amount of people shopping inside one Costco right this minute.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Confused 1

^With every new project, reliability has declined on the CATS system. Blue Line Extension made what was once among the most reliable rail transit lines in the US a lot less reliable.   Now, Gold Line has made the full Charlotte LYNX system as unreliable as buses, especially now during the labor shortage, when many bus trips don't even run as promised.

John Lewis continues to oversee a blatant mess that few voters would ever want to reward with more of their tax dollars.

• Like 4

I think we need to understand why these lines have become unreliable. The reasons why the Gold Line is unreliable are quite obvious being in a ROW plagued by cars and dumb traffic lights. The BLE is different and most of the times I have rode the line it has been reliable. The 20 minute heads ways though are for whatever reason unknown to me other than the fact it was partly due to the pandemic. Someone care to explain some of those reasons in summary? I’d like to know more! (The labor shortage is one thing as well that I am aware of.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JeanClt said:

I think we need to understand why these lines have become unreliable. The reasons why the Gold Line is unreliable are quite obvious being in a ROW plagued by cars and dumb traffic lights. The BLE is different and most of the times I have rode the line it has been reliable. The 20 minute heads ways though are for whatever reason unknown to me other than the fact it was partly due to the pandemic. Someone care to explain some of those reasons in summary? I’d like to know more! (The labor shortage is one thing as well that I am aware of.)

To hear CATS tell it, labor shortage is the reason, not a reason.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 7:26 AM, TGIBridays said:

Anyone know the reason there's still construction material on the Hawthorne bridge? It makes the bridge look pretty trashy, IMO. Are they still not finished with the bridge or did the contractor just leave without cleaning up the project?

20211013_173416.jpg

Looks like they've FINALLY started cleaning this up.  All of the crap on the outbound side of the bridge have been removed and maybe half of the stuff on the inbound side is gone.  Looks so much better without the shredded black plastic and lumber hanging off the side.

• Like 2