Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

4 hours ago, RANYC said:

Charlotte bus driver shot in uptown on Friday just died.  Can’t help the hiring situation.:tw_cry:  Anyone know what happened?

Passengers reported a verbal altercation with another car at a red light before shots fired, so possibly road rage.

Edited by CLT2014

• 4 weeks later...

Some of the other threads are talking about how the urban core of Charlotte has had a lot of people + energy in recent weeks, probably from the feeling of springtime + decline of COVID. Reports that the Blue Line was overflowing last weekend. Anyone know of how the Gold Line is doing? Is it seeing more use now too?

Just now, Reverie39 said:

Some of the other threads are talking about how the urban core of Charlotte has had a lot of people + energy in recent weeks, probably from the feeling of springtime + decline of COVID. Reports that the Blue Line was overflowing last weekend. Anyone know of how the Gold Line is doing? Is it seeing more use now too?

There were lots of photos of it being butt-to-nut loaded before and after the MLS game on twitter. Unfortunately al the posts were discussing how pissed all the riders were that the vehicle was stopped for a very long time (40 minutes? on Elizabeth?) and no one could get out.

The official numbers I am hearing (between 700-800 riders per day) are bad and have not changed much (but no Springtime data has been released).

• Sad 1

I've been seeing the Gold Line roll by around 5PM during rush hour each day this week largely empty. The official 700 - 800 riders per day still seems accurate. With no timetable or real time tracking, I don't know why anybody would count on it unless they are desperate.... or have a lot of free time on their hands to have a 2 mile commute take 45 minutes. 

Only spent $215,000 per rider to build it... so value. 

Edited by CLT2014

18 minutes ago, JHart said:

Just make Trade busses and Gold Line only and throw in another cross city cycletrack with the leftover space. You already have dedicated 1 way lanes on both sides with 4th and 5th street for vehicular cross city traffic.

I actually agree with that as the best solution, there's no reason Trade should even have cars between Graham and McDowell. But that's probably a less popular move than signal priority.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I actually agree with that as the best solution, there's no reason Trade should even have cars between Graham and McDowell. But that's probably a less popular move than signal priority.

The hotels on Trade would be most impacted by this and throw a fit. Maybe there would be a way to only allow access for cars, taxis, ubers, et. going to the hotels only but restrict other traffic? Marriott, Omni, Ritz Carlton, Residence Inn / AC Hotel, and Hyatt House are all accessed off Trade Street. Don't see people staying at 4 or 5 star hotels wanting to be dropped off at a corner and having to drag their bags in the elements to the lobby on the public sidewalk. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

The hotels on Trade would be most impacted by this and throw a fit. Maybe there would be a way to only allow access for cars, taxis, ubers, et. going to the hotels only but restrict other traffic? Marriott, Omni, Ritz Carlton, Residence Inn / AC Hotel, and Hyatt House are all accessed off Trade Street. Don't see people staying at 4 or 5 star hotels wanting to be dropped off at a corner and having to drag their bags in the elements to the lobby on the public sidewalk. 

They are all valet anyways. Move them over to the N & S streets and build the little heated(cooled in NC) curbside tents like Chicago/NYC

32 minutes ago, Nathan2 said:

I love transit, but unless CATS starts taking the gold line serious they need to just stop wasting resources on the line. For the third time I have waited for a train at mint street, only to give up and walk the whole way to plaza without once getting passed  by a train. There is absolutely no excuses at this point. CATS needs to start treating the gold line as actual transit and not a toy. 

• Priority Signaling needs to be implemented at every intersection. 
  • Tracks through uptown should be gold line only
  • where is live tracking??
  • and for the love of God can operators not drive like we are in a vehicle made out of glass?

Personally I wont take the gold line ever again until at least something is done to either increase frequency or speed up the trip.

That's really no different than the original starter line with the little trolley's. I used to use the gold line every day to BofA Corp. when I worked there about 5 years ago. Back then, the terminus was CTC so one could just sit on the trolley. If you ever seen it pulling away while walking up to it, you knew to just walk.

It's not going to get better. It's not built to get better & there seems to be 0 will to make a fundamental shift in how to make the streetcar work. That probably makes me sound like a negative person but to be fair - at the time - I've submitted my responses to CATS etc. about various things (all the things you mentioned.). It's better to build something right the first time than cheap. And this can be applied to most anything in urban development which is why I'm not very keen on the "well it's better than what was there/better than nothing/etc." 

Particularly about mass transit, there simply needs to be stronger activism by Charlotteans/North Carolinians to demand adequate transportation. People always say something similar to "there's no money to build the silver line underground/through uptown/adequate connection to blue line, so lets just wrap it around an interstate on the least attractive part of downtown where Charlotteans would need to/want to go". The Blue Line shouldn't have ended at UNCC and should have went to 485 like originally intended. etc. There is money for mass transit. There is money to build adequate transportation. It's just a street car and a light rail line. People are willing to give a Billion $'s to a stadium but somehow I'm supposed to believe there's no money for a light rail line? There's just no political will and voters don't press their representatives enough or the voter's just don't want it. But to say there is no money is a lie. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 4

I love transit, but unless CATS starts taking the gold line serious they need to just stop wasting resources on the line. For the third time I have waited for a train at mint street, only to give up and walk the whole way to plaza without once getting passed  by a train. There is absolutely no excuses at this point. CATS needs to start treating the gold line as actual transit and not a toy. 
  • Priority Signaling needs to be implemented at every intersection. 
  • Tracks through uptown should be gold line only
  • where is live tracking??
  • and for the love of God can operators not drive like we are in a vehicle made out of glass?
Personally I wont take the gold line ever again until at least something is done to either increase frequency or speed up the trip.

I already kind of answered some of these in the CATS thread.

Preemption is not on CATS jurisdiction. The ROW is monitored and maintained by CDOT and the gold line would not be able to get preemption on traffic lights unless CDOT allowed it. So that issue is out of the hands of CATS. Tracks in uptown being streetcar only is also likely a CDOT issue.

Live tracking is coming soon as all vehicles are being upgraded to have gps tracking. CATS still uses older vehicles that need retrofit. The tracking CATS uses isn’t as accurate as gps and isn’t continuous real time if not “checkpoints” to notify the location of the train to a control center of where each vehicle is located. I don’t know about the slow driving but might be due to the fact that people are still not used to the streetcar being around which is likely. Not sure. Also to increase frequency you can do one of two things and that is more vehicles or faster speeds. Faster speeds can only do so much even when considering no preemption at the moment.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JeanClt said:

I already kind of answered some of these in the CATS thread.

Preemption is not on CATS jurisdiction. The ROW is monitored and maintained by CDOT and the gold line would not be able to get preemption on traffic lights unless CDOT allowed it. So that issue is out of the hands of CATS. Tracks in uptown being streetcar only is also likely a CDOT issue.

If the future of the Gold line is in the hands of CDOT can city council not get involved and direct CDOT to make changes? Where has their leadership been on this project? Or do I completely not understand how CDOT works?

• Like 3