Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

22 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

I can't believe I'm about to defend these folks... but the Charlotte's city council is part-time. They are focused on passing budgets and laws and to be fair to them... I understand why they don't have the bandwidth to be involved / be the leader on EVERY single thing in the city. People are constantly complaining about everything and honestly... so few people care about the Gold Line in this town I would assume they get less complaints on that than trash on the side of the road, affordable housing, noise from the airport, et... The city council members all have day jobs they are doing from 8AM to 6PM, have their families, and they make only $19,809 for their service and are NOT supposed to technically be involved in the day to day management of the city.

The City Manager should be running the day to day ops and the departments like CDOT report to him / her. If their is a dispute between CDOT and CATS, BOTH of those department heads report to the City Manager who is paid a LOT of money to actually be involved in the day to day management of the city ($350,000). If CDOT isn't playing well with CATS, the City Manager (who is both of their bosses), could easily make a decision so long as it aligns to the financial budget set by the city council. One can directly email the City Manager on this page though and let him know our opinions: https://charlottenc.gov/citymanager/Pages/default.aspx

In some cities the City Council is a full-time position and they make $80,000+ per year for their job. In that case, I'd be like "yeah, they should get involved in everything." In our current city structure though, the city council really CAN'T be a leader on every single project in this city. Hence in our structure they are often considered the "Board of Directors" of the city. Marcus Jones is our CEO. If the Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer aren't getting along... the CEO should deal with it first, before the Board of Directors gets involved.

There is no way I would be on the city council for that amount of money unless I really loved my city, enjoyed the status or was using it as a stepping stone to higher office. I think we've seen a combination of all 3 of these types of people on council.  Can't imagine anyone is in it for the money. The money is significantly less than the bonus money that gets paid to a lot of people in Charlotte...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Another tactic that doesn't require someone to be a full time politician would be to simply make the council larger. Create smaller districts with fewer constituents per council-person. It also means more people to spread work load across committees, etc. 

As has been mentioned before, city-wide adoption of the UDO that's being created should massively reduce the number of rezonings the council has to deal with, which right now takes an insane amount of time.

Is it time for a Charlotte Charter Convention, reimagining the governance of the city?

As stretched as the council seems to be, I don't think I've come across any serious proposals to change the structure of decision-making and policy implementations in the city.

Does anyone know how our Board of Directors (Council) evaluates or grades the performance of the management team (i.e. Marcus Jones and Staff)?

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Four year old Nephew visiting me in Wesley heights and insisted on riding the streetcar into uptown.  Checked google maps and saw a car was expected at 1:55pm.  We arrived at 1:49.  It’s now 2:06pm.  He’s annoyed.  I may be souring a new generation of potential riders on Charlotte transit.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, go_vertical said:

And just for the purpose of adding a more nuanced reply, you feel fine with using snide and catty retorts in order to invalidate other people's opinions on here in a similar way to a petty teenager, and there is nothing wrong with that, yet I simply give you the very same "advice" YOU gave others here and I'm the asshole?  If you aren't happy with what I said then I suggest you step off your soapbox and take a good look in the mirror.  Tell that guy if he wants more mature conversations then he needs to change his approach in how he interacts with others, especially on a forum that I feel has done an amazing job at not devolving into places like city-data and other sesspools on the internet. 

Every single one of us should be able to express their opinion on here and expect a proper and respectful  conversation whether there is an agreement or not.  What you are now doing is clutching pearls and acting offended because I just did exactly what you do fairly often.  So, thank you for being amazingly predictable and reacting exactly how I expected.  If you can't take it don't dish it. 

• Don't really want anything from you...get plenty great convos on here and elsewhere
  • Asking that people not write off CATS and show patience to a transit system reeling from COVID wasn't a dismissal of their experience, it was a nudge that they can either heed or ignore...
  • Done with your victimhood for today and now back to Blue Devils/Tar Heels...
  • Feel free to ignore my posts going forward.  Perhaps consider them not for you nor seeking your engagement, and have a restorative and empowering evening...

2 hours ago, go_vertical said:

drugs-psa.gif

I'd encourage you to find other sources of influence, buddy:tw_innocent:

Edited by RANYC
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, kermit said:

Its not justified, there is no reason that CMPD can't just park in a car traffic lane instead of the streetcar lane. Firetrucks are a different story altogether.

image.thumb.png.d48dba65652b90681ead4631f089799b.png

There you go! Even police rushing to the scene of a potential bomb (and maybe wanting to keep people out of the vicinity in case it's real) should be sure they don't temporarily block the streetcar (that you claim runs so infrequently that it's useless). 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 6:10 AM, CLT2014 said:

If you are riding it round trip, block off 1.5 hours to do the full 8 miles roundtrip to account for the slow travel speeds and waiting times at stations with 20 minute headways (no published schedule).

There is a published schedule, it just often is inaccurate because the street car is waiting for a parked car to move. Sometimes you can have a really efficient ride, but lack of reliability makes it a poor option for most trip types.

34667DE9-551C-4009-99BA-88730A7A22AF.png

• Like 2