Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

I agree that buses would probably lose there stigma if they were used as connectors to light rail and streetcar, however I really don't think trolley cars are the answer.  I honestly think that the majority of people are in favor of modern day tram, not trolley.  

I think everyone here would agree with you that a separate right of way is the most desirable, instead of one in mixed traffic. 

The problem is cost.  There is a limited number of right of ways into uptown (where all the rail lines will go for the foreseeable future).  The streetcar is a good line, it's not perfect by any means, but it is good.  We probably need at least two east-west passenger rail lines into the city and three North-South.  One of the North-South lines will be for commuter and long distance trains with basically the only stop at gateway station.  Without destroying existing used right of ways the only cost effective solutions are the blue line, the NCRR and streetcars.  The city could close streets, but there are some major cost associated with that as the property owners must be compensated for their loss of right of way access, that may make a subway a less expensive alternative.  Both of those options represent approximately the same line ridership for the first 50ish years as the current routings are capable of, however the subway in particular leaves room for line ridership expansion beyond current forecast growth levels.

As for the cars themselves, for the first phase it doesn't really matter.  The historic trolley cars we already have won't affect ridership that much for the short route they will be taking.

It would be nice if the cars were identical to the blue line cars, only GOLD.  Okay, one can dream right?!…lol  :thumbsup:

There are a few lower floor options available which would make loading and unloading easier, but yeah it'd be nice to have them as close to identical as possible for maintenance cost purposes.

Edited by DEnd

So Foxx gave a wink-wink, nod-nod yesterday according to the Observer.

Foxx said projects that cities have invested a lot of time in specific transit projects should apply for funding. Asked whether any transit projects in Charlotte fit the bill he said he can't discuss matters for a year specifically about Charlotte... But from west Charlotte to east Charlotte looks like it is in need of a transit project that would meet federal requirements for funding.

CO has a great article on it. CBJ totally sucked at the story with no good details (unless they plan on making it a paid subscription article or another story)

Continuing my streak of fantasy reasoning and apropos of nothing, I just noticed that Thomas Co. in High Point built the 1920s era streetcars which still run on the St. Charles line in New Orleans. Thomas is still in High Point and it remains one of the two biggest school bus builders in the country (you can see their factory from the right side of east bound trains just before you arrive at the High Point station).

All the hoopla about Boeing left me wondering if they could have their arm twisted to reenter the 'massive' market for streetcar production. That would certainly change the political calculus behind our project.

Cincinnati now has 9 days to resume streetcar construction or forfeit all of their $45 million in federal funding. My woefully uninformed best guess it that the $45 million will be quickly reallocated to other active streetcar projects (I suspect that Kansas City and us are in the best position of current streetcar projects to put the cash to work quickly). As I said earlier, I hope Charlotte has enough of a plan to be eligible for the cash (hopefully the failed TIGER VI proposal will be sufficient)

http://streetsblog.net/2013/12/10/feds-to-cincinnati-resume-streetcar-or-forfeit-40-million/

WOW.  They really are going to have 1/2 a subway and 1/2 a streetcar.

The streetcar has been under construction for months, with city streets torn to shreds and the first rail laid — all at a cost of more than $26.4 million

Edited by birky

I was thinking the same thing about the preserved architecture .  

Also, I believe in transit nationally, so while it is a certain type of feeling to want a local project over a place I don't think I'll ever go, it is better for the country if these under-construction can be finished than for us to hope for it.  But if their leadership is that backward to stop it at this stage, then maybe voters will have a great example of the waste inherent in that position and it helps in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

June??  I thought it didn't open until 2015?

You are correct:  From Charmeck CityLYNX Gold Line pagefor the CityLYNX Gold Line - Phase 1, previously called the “Charlotte Streetcar Starter Project,” began in December 2012. Once completed in early 2015, it will run 1.5 miles along Trade Street -- from Time Warner Cable Arena to Presbyterian Hospital.

Perhaps uptownliving just meant construction/street work on that segment will be done by this June

You are correct:  From Charmeck CityLYNX Gold Line pagefor the CityLYNX Gold Line - Phase 1, previously called the “Charlotte Streetcar Starter Project,” began in December 2012. Once completed in early 2015, it will run 1.5 miles along Trade Street -- from Time Warner Cable Arena to Presbyterian Hospital.

Perhaps uptownliving just meant construction/street work on that segment will be done by this June

Ah okay, that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

ATTENTION!!!!!!

Monday Jan. 27th City Council is voting to increase the amount of funding for the CityLYNX Gold Line (streetcar) extension. This increase in funding would decrease the amount of federal funding we would need to ask for and make us a more attractive grant recipient. Our previous request from the Transportation Department was denied (which is not unusual to be turned down the first time) and asked for a 50% commitment from the FEDS with the City picking up the rest, approx. $63 million.  

The vote will take place at the evening session at 6pm. Please show up and support this project!!!!