Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

It would seem to be wise to use S70s just so the fleets can match as much as possible, especially if the existing S70s have been reliable. It would probably result in greater economies of scale in terms of maintenance. This is why Southwest only flies 737s for example.

• Like 1

Was I dreaming about CATS shifting some sketchier bus routes on the other side of the transit station?

I'm not trying to sound ignorant, overly worried, discriminative or whatever, but there have been many times walking trade past CTC has felt unsafe on plenty of occasions. And I say that as a person who doesn't mind sketchiness.

I wonder if it's just me, would it effect ridership or maybe they'll put enough artwork & lighting it will make it feel safer (to me at least). I ride the gold rush all the time to CTC so I'm not too worried on general

Design goes a long way toward a feeling of safety.   In some ways (always denied), building the CTC was designed to get both buses and the lesser societal elements off Tryon.   The risk always is in having a lack of social diversity.  I think the solution is to build an Epicenter phase II  on the CTC block and integrate the bus station into it, so that the bus riders that you might notice now get blended in with the rest of society better so that it is not feared as much.  

• Like 1

Was I dreaming about CATS shifting some sketchier bus routes on the other side of the transit station?

I'm not trying to sound ignorant, overly worried, discriminative or whatever, but there have been many times walking trade past CTC has felt unsafe on plenty of occasions. And I say that as a person who doesn't mind sketchiness.

I wonder if it's just me, would it effect ridership or maybe they'll put enough artwork & lighting it will make it feel safer (to me at least). I ride the gold rush all the time to CTC so I'm not too worried on general

As someone who has been at the CTC late at night to catch a bus I have yet to feel unsafe.    Am I uncomfortable at times?  Yes.  But I think that has more to do with my own societal views as a white man who at that time/place is in the minority rather than anything that could go under the label of "sketchy".

As Dubone touches upon there will always be a design issue in any transportation center when it congregates a general economic and racial class that doesn't match the population in the areas that immediately surround it.  

This isn't fixed by segregating those lines out of the CTC so much as correcting the invisible fence mentality that if you avoid the area you can avoid them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the city moves the whole of the CTC somewhere else eventually though.   Charlotte is nothing if not consistent when it comes to disregarding/knocking down/destroying components of a real functioning city in order to make something just look pretty.

• Like 2

Some routes were temporarily moved out of the CTC to make it easier for remaining routes to U-turn, while access is limited to only 4th St during Gold Line construction on Trade.

The closest Gold Line stop to the Greenway will be on Elizabeth at Pease, or basically where the bus shelters are now.

Edited by southslider

• 4 weeks later...

^ Thanks for the photos.

RE the last photo: I _really_ hope that CATS paints over the "Charlotte Trolly" banner which is on the sides of both of the replica units which will be used. We gotta avoid that terminology. That said, I am not sure that "LYNX Gold Line" is going to look much better on those vehicles.

Honestly, I can't believe that Ron Tobler was able to keep money for those two units in the original blue line budget.

There are actually three replica cars, 91, 92, & 93. They will be perfect for the starter operation but they are terrible for promoting phase 2. I agree the lettering needs to change, a simple CATS or CityLYNX logo would work for me. I know it doesn't qualify for modern safety standards and won't be in regular use, but my personal hope is that streetcar #85 gets the honors of the first revenue run, since it was the last streetcar to run in the city.

Another note, they are installing more tracks at the LRV facility, I assume for the BLE.

anybody have any news on the status of the Small Starts grant for phase 2 of the gold line? It was originally scheduled to be sent to the FTA sometime in September, with a decision in Spring 2015 (?) -- does anyone know if the proposal is still on track?

I still think Anthony Foxx would like to do the city a transit-related solid.

Edited by kermit

^ Well the Observer answered my questions:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/09/04/5150128/streetcar-cost-rises-by-24m.html

Council will vote Monday on the submission of the Small Starts grant. The city also says it would have to replace the Hawthorne Lane bridge over Independence Boulevard at a cost of $6.8 million

The cost of Charlotte’s proposed streetcar extension has risen from $126 million to $150 million, [$15 million of the increse is inflation -- really? another $6.8 million is the cost of replacing the Hawthorne bridge over Independence -- seems like they have been slow to disclose that detail, surely it was obivious to the engineers]  and could go even higher if the city chooses to purchase trolleys that can partially run on batteries.

The city is also mulling whether to create a new taxing district along the route to help pay for operating costs.

Edited by kermit

I'm not a fan of the battery powered at that type of cost (I'd assume $5mm more all in) if the sole perceived benefit is to not run cantery wires through the square.

There are several cities in Europe where they run streetcars right through their historic city squares....i like it.

• Like 1

I don't think it is the Blue Line bridge that is the problem (if it is that is a major design flaw). The bridges I heard mentioned as potentially to low was either the over street mall bridge or the Norfolk Southern bridge. I think the OCS can still go under these bridges, they just need special permission because it is lower to the ground than the standard height. Also, warning signs are needed to alert taller vehicles such as trucks. Tucson has a few bridges like this on the new SunLink line.

Maybe it was on UP, I don't remember, but I remember someone saying that the blue line bridge over Trade is too low for cantenary lines and they would be forced into some kind of battery scenario. 

Lets just tunnel the East-West rail through town under trade street. Please!

(go underground from Plaza-Central to JCSU)

• Like 1

I loveee that picture of the streetcar. Another thing, I understand the opposition opinion and respect it. They have valid points.

Though I admit, as soon as I read "redistribution of wealth" I completely lost all understanding for opposition and even rolled my eyes at my iPhone. This is local politics, I don't feel like hearing partisan national level rhetoric. Even I'd that's not the intent of the "redistribution of wealth" comment, it's been hijacked by tea party national politics.

:) I'm so happy this is getting steam.

• Like 1

As expensive as rebuilding Hawthorne is, maybe Phase 2 should only go west to Johnson C Smith. Besides, it would really be unfortunate if Silver Line would have to rebuild Hawthorne over Independence yet again. The current bridge was just built in the 1990s.

If the Silver were to not use Independence as transit planners have wanted to do now, the new Hawthorne bridge should be fine. The construction nightmare of a closed Hawthorne Lane will be ugh though, Pecan and 7th is congested as it is trying to reach Plaza Midwood.