Charlotte Center City Streetcar Network

Sabaidee

It probably depends on how much of a schedule setback they have had with the contractor not installing the rail correctly. They were supposed to start making test runs in December with a scheduled opening in March (about 4 months later). So, it would make sense that it will take about 4 months from whenever they start testing to when the new open date will be. 

The delay is no big issue IMO, especially when it's not costing the city any money. Just have to accept that those who oppose these type of investments will do so either way. The Gold line could have 100,000 riders & garner 5 billion if investment & they will still see it as a waste of money

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that along Trade Street within the streetcar route the street signs are now have the crown logo highlighted in a light green that corresponds to the North South East West directional signage around uptown. Anyone know if these signs will be showing up throughout Center City or is this just a streetcar thing.

Also for some reason the Hawthorne street sign at the Elizabeth St intersection is highlighted in Orange...not sure what that means.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking about this a few hours ago.  I hope that really is a pre-announcement but still true data list.   Surely they got that list from somewhere. 

So there is no announcement news.  but if you play around in Google news, I found that Charlotte was listed as receiving $75m grant in small starts money by this article about a Provo line:

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/obama-grants-utah-county-rapid-bus-plan-million-in-proposed/article_dc7bf9e4-59c6-5e3e-a3c0-6decff52b4fb.html

According to Grey Turner, senior program manager/engineering and project development for the Utah Transit Authority, the grant is one of nine Small Starts grants awarded to rapid transit projects throughout the country, and the third largest in dollar amount. Tacoma, Washington's Link Light Rail Expansion and the Charlotte, N.C., CityLYNX Gold Line Phase 2 each received $75 million.

So this seems like pre-announcement gossip from people in the know, and a very good sign that we are likely to be included in the grant list like that FTA doc shows!

That's exciting progress considering this was once a dead project with highly volatile local support. 

• Like 2

This is good news, and exciting for Charlotte. Usually these leaks turn out to be correct.

I'm not too familiar with this project. Will this include any signal priority? What are their plans for crossing Tryon Street? (Isn't Tryon the city's usual parade route?)

Also, what are the chances of the  "future" segments ever getting implemented? Central Avenue and Beatties Ford are both pretty busy transit routes.

This is good news, and exciting for Charlotte. Usually these leaks turn out to be correct.

I'm not too familiar with this project. Will this include any signal priority? What are their plans for crossing Tryon Street? (Isn't Tryon the city's usual parade route?)

Also, what are the chances of the  "future" segments ever getting implemented? Central Avenue and Beatties Ford are both pretty busy transit routes.

Now idea of the chances, but I really hope it at least gets extended to the middle of P-M on Central.

^In my exposure to Pride Parade planning with the city, this problem has come up. In all likelihood, Tryon's days as a parade route will come to an end. I don't know what their suggestions will be, but perhaps a route that runs South Tryon to 4th and then turns, or runs 3rd from Bearden to Marshall parks, etc...

• Like 1

The Observer is reporting it like its ready to roll...minus that whole "must be approved by Congress" part.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/02/03/5490611/charlotte-streetcar-to-get-75.html

I'm very excited about this. The new rolling stock is more important to me than anything else in making this less a toy and more a form of transit.

Edited by ah59396

The Observer is reporting it like its ready to roll...minus that whole "must be approved by Congress" part.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/02/03/5490611/charlotte-streetcar-to-get-75.html

I'm very excited about this. The new rolling stock is more important to me than anything else in making this less a toy and more a form of transit.

In my opinion, the "toy trolleys" should never once touch this line, it instantly marginalizes it.

Also: I should add that it cracks me up when the Observer breaks stories not long after we post it.

Edited by Guest

WCNC just reported that Charlotte will recieve $75 million for the city's 1st phase of the $150 million streetcar project connecting Elizabeth to TWC. WBTV used a photo of a modern articulated BRT bus to represent a streetcar. WSOC only said Charlotte will get $75 million for phase 2 for the controversial streetcar and some city leaders say they fear it won't be enough and may put you the taxpayer on the hook for millions more.

Wow our news stations are SO reliable and trustworthy. I don't understand why our TV news is so poor across the board.

Edited by ajfunder

Lol.   Local TV news is completely pointless.  

But while, yes, congress must approve the budget, it seems to me that the transit budget's selected projects don't actually get stopped.    Obviously it would be good if there were real transitionary change and a major budget increase occurred, but with a status quo budget, the selections have typically remained as determined.

It is awesome that we will (presumably) get it, as the full phase I and II with historic replicas and modern tram cars (I do hope they keep both) for the full 4 miles will be a proper circulator for the major neighorhoods east and west of uptown.  

I still wish that they had included all the way to Central, after spending so much to replace the damn bridge to get across, might as well get riders closer to Midwood.  

Regardless, it is awesome news that it was validated in the federal process.   I remember in 2007 hearing about the new small starts program and the hope was for this project to be built through that.  So it is big news that we have won federal competitions twice for this project that people never seem to understand is feasible and justifiable by merits and metrics and quantitative reviews against projects across the nation.  

• Like 1