UnderDog

provid

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" "Underdog" swoops in and closes Providence streets

PROVIDENCE -- Part of downtown Providence is closed today as Disney continues to film its movie ``Underdog.''

The city has closed off Westminster Street, between Dorrance and Memorial Boulevard along the river from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. today. " Projo.com

what would you do?

Underdog wants to use our community garden and parking lot for at least a week in mid june to set up their shots on Grove Street. The parking lot is not a big deal as they have promised to secure parking for folks across broadway. Some folks will complain but who cares. My worry is that they want to set up cameras and all their gear IN the community garden, IN the plots where people have flowers and vegetables, and they can't guarantee that the place won't be trashed. if they were filming now it wouldn't be such a big deal because there aren't a lot of new plants in there yet, but by mid june they will all be planted and anything that gets broken or trampled on is basically done for the entire planting season...

the lots are owned by a non profit that doesn't think its much of a problem for people to potentially lose a seasons worth of gardening, especially if underdog pays well (originally it was $1500 for the week which i found offensive and suggested that the negotiating should start at $5K and it isn't clear whether the garden would get anything at all except aggrevation) but what does it say to the neighborhood, who worked really hard to bring this community garden back from the sink hole, rat infested blight in the neighborhood?

is it more important to accomodate the movie people, than to keep the garden people happy?

what would you do?

Underdog wants to use our community garden and parking lot for at least a week in mid june to set up their shots on Grove Street. The parking lot is not a big deal as they have promised to secure parking for folks across broadway. Some folks will complain but who cares. My worry is that they want to set up cameras and all their gear IN the community garden, IN the plots where people have flowers and vegetables, and they can't guarantee that the place won't be trashed. if they were filming now it wouldn't be such a big deal because there aren't a lot of new plants in there yet, but by mid june they will all be planted and anything that gets broken or trampled on is basically done for the entire planting season...

the lots are owned by a non profit that doesn't think its much of a problem for people to potentially lose a seasons worth of gardening, especially if underdog pays well (originally it was $1500 for the week which i found offensive and suggested that the negotiating should start at $5K and it isn't clear whether the garden would get anything at all except aggrevation) but what does it say to the neighborhood, who worked really hard to bring this community garden back from the sink hole, rat infested blight in the neighborhood?

is it more important to accomodate the movie people, than to keep the garden people happy?

I think it says that we dont give a crap about your plants, and we care more about the money and business that the movie people are bringing here. It says it very truthfully, and that is the truth.

However, this blow can be lessened if the garden actually gets something in return, which you say is iffy. If the compensation is appropriate for the loss of plants and sweat of the garden contributors, then maybe a deal can be worked out.

Is saying "No" an option? and what pull do the neighbors have in this case?

I think it says that we dont give a crap about your plants, and we care more about the money and business that the movie people are bringing here. It says it very truthfully, and that is the truth.

However, this blow can be lessened if the garden actually gets something in return, which you say is iffy. If the compensation is appropriate for the loss of plants and sweat of the garden contributors, then maybe a deal can be worked out.

Is saying "No" an option? and what pull do the neighbors have in this case?

I would think that even better than money would be the Underdog folks paying outright for upgrades (New Fence, raised beds, potting shed with running water?) That way even if a season is lost it would more than make up for it going forward with the increased functionality of the garden. We used to have a plot over there, but I have to say that after we found how high the lead levels where in the soil at our house we were a little less gung ho on city gardening without raised beds.

I wonder what plot twist has them wanting to film in a garden. They've imported trash for the shooting today and tomorrow on Westminster.

I think I'd hold out for a bit more cash. You don't want to gouge them, but you also don't want to hurt your garden. Could they agree to somesort of additional payout for any plants that are damaged in the process?

They had a stunt person hanging today from the top windows of the turk building.

We must have just missed each other, I was there as they were setting up the rigging to the Turks Head building. I must say, they had a very nice looking sidewalk cafe set up in front of Soveriegn this morning. In reality it would be impractical as it was set up right in the sidewalks main traffic flow, but it was nice to see. Starbucks does have real cafe seating outside by the way, it's against the building though.

Does anyone know if that intersection has an official name, can I just start calling it Turks Corner?

We must have just missed each other, I was there as they were setting up the rigging to the Turks Head building. I must say, they had a very nice looking sidewalk cafe set up in front of Soveriegn this morning. In reality it would be impractical as it was set up right in the sidewalks main traffic flow, but it was nice to see. Starbucks does have real cafe seating outside by the way, it's against the building though.

Does anyone know if that intersection has an official name, can I just start calling it Turks Corner?

don't they call that sovereign plaza or something? that's where the ballroom dancing is during waterfire, right?

and is this underdog, like the flying blue "have no fear, underdog is here" dog?

don't they call that sovereign plaza or something? that's where the ballroom dancing is during waterfire, right?

Yuck, I'm not calling it that. I mean the entire intersection though, not just the space in front of the Hospital Trust Tower.

and is this underdog, like the flying blue "have no fear, underdog is here" dog?

Yes, the production company is called "Have No Fear Productions."

Yuck, I'm not calling it that. I mean the entire intersection though, not just the space in front of the Hospital Trust Tower.

looks to me like that intersection is called sovereign plaza... at least according to waterfire (scroll down for the map)

Yes, the production company is called "Have No Fear Productions."

that's cute... so this is a live action underdog film?

looks to me like that intersection is called sovereign plaza... at least according to waterfire (scroll down for the map)

I think that's just because Sovereign sponsors that part of Waterfire, the Jazz on Steeple Street is the Verizon Stage or some such, but it's a RISD parking lot.

that's cute... so this is a live action underdog film?

Yup, I'm assuming Underdog himself is animated, but they had live (and stuffed) dogs at the shoot today.

The traditional name of that intersection is Turk's Head. That's what it's been called since the 18th century when there was a business there with a ship's figurehead of a Turk. The Turk's Head Building from 1913 pays tribute to the history and name of the square..

Archived