The Banking Industry in SC

krazeeboi

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gosh, Spartan, you seem a bit edgy . . is it because you live in Charlotte? :P Seriously, I think our discussion on the return of community banks is very on-point since that is more and more what the banking industry in S.C. seems to be transitioning into, even before all this mess.

What do you all think: is the banking industry in S.C. making a return to the small, communty-based (or at least statewide but within our borders) institutions? Do you think the recent banking industry crisis is helping that shift?

I think the Banking in SC will continue to get better and stronger. I've been with the same credit union since i was 14yrs old and i don't plan on changing that...unless i move really far away or out of the country. I would love to see a SC banks on the skyline in each city in this state instead of BOA, Wachovia and etc... They should all come together a build a joint building with all their names on it...lol...

I think the Banking in SC will continue to get better and stronger. I've been with the same credit union since i was 14yrs old and i don't plan on changing that...unless i move really far away or out of the country. I would love to see a SC banks on the skyline in each city in this state instead of BOA, Wachovia and etc... They should all come together a build a joint building with all their names on it...lol...

I agree, CS. It would be so nice to see S.C. banks dominate our cities like the old days of SCN (who I was with, then Watch-ova-ya came along--ugh), Bankers Trust, and Southern Bank. BTW, what are the largest S.C. banks now? I know First Citizens (S.C.) is probably first, but then who?

South Financial is the largest bank that is based in SC in terms of assets, but they do not have the largest marketshare within the state. They are listed as Carolina First, since "The South Financial Group" is two or three separate "banks."

First Citizens is currently the second largest SC-based bank by assets. Its largest in the state -even over BofA and Wachovia- in terms branch locations with 162.

Carolina First has 82 branches.

Bank - Marketshare (as of June 30, 2007)

Wachovia/WellsFargo - 18% (NC/CA)

BofA - 11% (NC)

BB&T - 10% (NC)

Carolina First - 8% (SC)

First Citizens - 7 % (SC)

NBSC - 6% (SC)

(all others are under 5%)

Source: FDIC

I thought South Financial/Carolina First was the largest SC based bank?

Yes, South Financial (TSFG) is in the top 50 banks nationwide in terms of assets, though still small by a Wachovia, B of A, Citi standard. TSFG is right at 15 billion in assets. The next largest is First Citizens, about half the size of TSFG at around 8 billion in assets.

• 3 weeks later...

Gov. Sanford has launched an investigation into the South Financial Group.

He questioned whether chief executive Mack Whittle moved up his previously announced retirement so the bailout could help fund his retirement package, which is valued at $18 million according to a regulatory filing. Sanford said it was a possibility raised by others, and he considers it suspicious.

Article

Hopefully nothing will come of this. I'd prefer to see the largest bank from SC not get a lot of bad press.

• 4 months later...

Charleston-based First Federal Savings and Loan has taken over eight branches of the former Cape Fear Bank of Wilmington, NC, which failed on Friday. First Federal previously had one branch in coastal North Carolina. With the eight new North Carolina branches, First Federal has 66 branches total. Outside the Charleston area, the bank

• 1 year later...

As most know, Canadian-based TD Bank is acquiring The South Financial Group, parent company of Carolina First Bank, the state's largest commercial bank. This will definitely shake up the banking scene in the state on a few levels. With the acquistion, Columbia-based First Citizens Bank becomes the largest state-based bank and it's expected that TD Bank will aggressively expand their presence statewide, namely through some other acquisitions. One of their execs stated, “When we enter any market, our goal is always to be in the top three in deposit share and top three in store count.” To rank among the top three in South Carolina, TD Bank would need an additional $1 billion in deposits and 30 more branches. And who knows what Wells Fargo will do with their entrance into SC by acquiring Wachovia. Hopefully, the remaining sizable state-based banks (First Citizens, NBSC, SCBT, etc.) can remain independent and grow and expand.

So in terms of market percentage, now 47% of our state's money is in a bank not based in South Carolina. I hope First Citizens and NBSC have some serious expansion plans. I'd hate to see the non-SC based banks reach over 50% market share.

Archived