Cotswold Village

dubone

It's not that big of a deal, but it is a subtle change and expansion to Cotswold Village that they just posted a rezoning for:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2006-087.htm

It is just one or two more shops, but the orientation and design will definitely help to give an urban feeling to that part of Randolph. As the area grows, I can see more buildings with pedestrian orientation getting built.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah they did a nice job when they transitioned part of the center from an indoor mall to outdoor one.

Haha, it is interesting as they go back and forth on that. In the 70s it was an outdoor mall. (used to be advertized as the Twin Malls however) Then it was remodeled into an indoor mall. Now I guess they are changing it back again.

Haha, it is interesting as they go back and forth on that. In the 70s it was an outdoor mall. (used to be advertized as the Twin Malls however) Then it was remodeled into an indoor mall. Now I guess they are changing it back again.

I go to Cotswald all the time and had no idea that part of it is an indoor mall... Where is the entrance to the indoor part??

^The roof was taken off the mall in the mid 90s. You didn't miss the door 'cause there's not one. The enlosed section was where Charley's is.

I live in cotswold and am not sure about this. It is one of the hardest parking lots to maneuver in the city. This new restaurant will be at one of the ingress/egress points that ALWAYS back up with cars (there's no traffic signal). I can only imagine how much worse it will get with the addition of a big chain restaurant.

dubone- I was in this HT over Spring Break last month and the renovations I believe are still ongoing. I'm pretty sure the facade will be made to look like the new prototype of Harris Teeters.

Steven- I don't think Cotswald ever had a Woolworth store but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Are the HT renovations completed in Cotswald? Will they be doing anything with the facade?

Actually I think they're just getting started. I was there last weekend and they had blocked off those few parking spaces along the side near where that empty First Charter bank is. I didn't see too much happening on the inside yet, with the exception of the spot where the in-house SunTrust was. That was all torn out. I only breezed in and out, so maybe there's major work being done somewhere else and I just missed it.

I don't think there was a woolworth or woolco in that mall. It was too far off the beaten path for stores like that as they tended to be located on busier streets like N. Tryon, S. Blvd, Independence, etc.
Thanks. Still, it seems like it would have made a good spot for a dime store back in the day, like W.T. Grant or G.C. Murphy or Roses or something of that nature.

• 1 month later...

Cotswold is hot, i never knew this place existed until i arrived here! The apartment complex ive been staying at for the last 4 days allowed me the oppurtunity to walk there to read some books and pick up some upscale booze over at HT! Ive hardly done any driving on my own in Charlotte for necessities other than going to Best Buy on INdependance and over in Pineville. Im growing fond of this area but too bad i leave tomorrow :(

I don't think there was a woolworth or woolco in that mall. It was too far off the beaten path for stores like that as they tended to be located on busier streets like N. Tryon, S. Blvd, Independence, etc.

There was a Rose's (with a lunch counter) that became Peebles. Eckerd's used to have a lunch counter as well and was up next to the Harris-Teeter location. Bush Stationary was also there and the mall had a neat little indoor area as well.

It also had a very small Ivey's that lasted until approximately the time of the Dillard's buyout.

Was the Ivey's in the interior portion? I do remember the Montaldo's and Tweed Shop as my mother dragged me there when I was a youngin. Toy Castle was the best though. There was also the Deli (later Phil's Deli) and a Spoon's.

Archived