What would you like to know?

Newnan

I wanted to create a thread where people could just ask random questions they might have about metro Atlanta and stuff going on here. It's sort of like the off topic thread but here people can ask questions and anyone with an answer can post it.

I have a question:

Why is Sandy Springs losing population? in the fast 5 years it has experienced noticable population loss.

anyone have an answer?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A theory - Sandy Springs is - besides the apartment corridor along Roswell Rd - is a stable post WWII suburb. Highly affluent like it's cousin Buckhead, the majority of the single family residents are upper income White. Not only that, they have likely lived there since at least the 1970's, putting their age in the Baby Boomer generation. So - their kids have long moved out & they are preparing for retirement.

Just a theory, b/c it doesn't explain the whole story - which might be that people are wising up & choosing not to live in an apartment complex on Roswell Rd, despite how cheap they are. But you will find that a large amount of single family owners in Sandy Springs are older & the household had decreased.

I don't think - besides the apartment corridor - it has anything to do with abandonement.

Why is Sandy Springs losing population? in the fast 5 years it has experienced noticable population loss.

anyone have an answer?

Maybe some of the old subdivisions and apartment complexes have been redeveloped? It could also be a factor of cost -- I know most of the new stuff they're building around there is pretty pricey.

I'm still trying to figure out what is the 2004/2005 population for Sandy Springs. How do we know that they have lost population? Newnan can you please provide a link that shows where one can gather that Sandy Springs has lost population between 2000 and 2005?

It's hard to discuss when you don't have actual data.

I'm still trying to figure out what is the 2004/2005 population for Sandy Springs. How do we know that they have lost population? Newnan can you please provide a link that shows where one can gather that Sandy Springs has lost population between 2000 and 2005?

It's hard to discuss when you don't have actual data.

sure thing

http://www.atlantaregional.com/cps/rde/xbc...FULTONSDPOP.XLS

Okay, Sandy Springs went from 85,859 to 84,932 . In this case, it was a drop of 942 people over 5 years. That's not a big drop considering that many of the apartment complexes along Roswell Rd have converted to condo units. I went to North Spring HS and that huge apartment across Dalrymple converted to condos. As everyone knows, when condo conversions take place, populations can either drop or remain stagnant as the number of heads per household for condos tend to be two. I don't think....as Brad said, it's not that people are just abandoning Sandy Springs. I'm surprised with the number of apartment conversions along Roswell Rd and closer to the Perimeter Center area that the population has not decreased even greater.

I can understand why people moved away from the apt corridor on Roswell Rd. I used to drive through there on my way to 285 last summer and it just didnt feel very safe at all. There were hundreds/thousands of Mexican workers roaming the road.

You have to wonder if landlords don't sometimes intentionally let older apartments go downhill. Why spend money on upkeep if you know you're going to be selling the land for other uses soon? In the meantime they're still collecting rent.

I can understand why people moved away from the apt corridor on Roswell Rd. I used to drive through there on my way to 285 last summer and it just didnt feel very safe at all. There were hundreds/thousands of Mexican workers roaming the road.

Call me wierd but I never feel "unsafe" around them. I'm not an overwhelming lady even. Other than the few cat calls some may give, most of them are polite.

....as Brad said, it's not that people are just abandoning Sandy Springs.

Yes, there's actually a lot of new housing going up but much of it is expensive. They even seem to have sold a lot of the townhouses/condos that have been built in "downtown" Sandy Springs.

I know there are big plans to develop a street grid with urban streetscapes, so it will be interesting to see what transpires in SS over the next decade. I'm assuming they have the money to do whatever they want.

Call me wierd but I never feel "unsafe" around them. I'm not an overwhelming lady even. Other than the few cat calls some may give, most of them are polite.

Celeste, that hasn't bothered me either. I did get hassled by some white dude from Alabama who was living in an apartment off Roswell Road, but apparently he was just a drifter who had substance abuse issues. Interestingly enough, the three APD cops who responded (almost instantly, I might add) were a black woman, a Latino guy and another officer who I think was from India or Pakistan. Gotta love the diversity.

I used to date a guy who lived in one of those older apartments on Roswell road. I think it was Rose Park or Rose Hill or something like that. There was an 80 year old woman who lived next door to him and treated him like his son (although she didnt know he was gay). When we would come in from partying in the early mornings on Sunday she would be up and sitting at the window, getting ready for church....so I would have to sneak in the backway so she didnt see me or he would be questioned...lol

The old lady died after about 6 months and a group of Latinos moved in where she used to live. At that time there where lots moving in where there wasnt many in that area before.

I wasn't crazy about living on Roswell Rd - but it certainly helped me pay off my bills, the rent was so cheap. $525 for a 1100 sq ft 2 bedroom apartment!

I didn't have a problem with the Hispanics there either, including all those 'thousands roaming the road'!

The Producers for the Real World passed up Atlanta AGAIN for Denver. Why do you think they haven't chose Atlanta yet?

Don't really know. Afterlooking at some of the cities they have chosen, a Real World in Atlanta would seem in order.

However, I couldn't really care less about where they put the next Real World. I don't watch it. It doesn't always portray the chosen city in the best light either.

Archived