Greenville Skyline

distortedlogic

The Pinnacle really doesn't excite me in terms of ground level. It's going to be similar to the dimensions of the Liberty building, if you're familiar with that. It's not going to have much space for retail of significance and there will be a driveway on Main to the parking deck. The City has done a good job keeping parking garages from fronting Main and it helps with the walk-ability of the street. It mainly just excites me in terms of size, sitting at 15 stories.

While I think Greenville has the most unique of Main streets by seamlessly connecting to an awesome urban park and a revitalized warehouse district, Tryon Street isn't anything to sneeze at. All in all, I think Tryon does an awesome job in combining a big city feel with a pedestrian-friendly flavor--in most spots anyway. That will only get better with the Wachovia tower and cultural arts complex. To tie this back into Greenville, I think something of that sort could also happen if projects like POM and the Main at McBee project ever get off the ground. Then Main Street would truly have the best of both worlds.

I very much agree with your points. But, I still think that most people (whether we agree with it or not, or like it or not) tend to make sweeping judgements about cities based on their skylines. "A big skyline suggests a big and thriving city." (We urbangeeks know this is not always true, though it can be.) In the end, DT gville still "looks" like a small town to many people as it does not provide that visual impact that many other cities (even ones of comperable size) do provide.

I really think the Gateway project needs to happen as planned. We have seen way too many highrise proposals announced over the last 5-10 years, only to see them delayed or cancelled. The Gateway site has seen its share of failed projects, so if this new proposal can quickly and efficiently begin construction it will be a huge statement - for that site as well as for our downtown. I'm not saying that it will start a highrise boom, but it's time for our city to take the next step forward. I trust that Marick Home Builders has done their homework and knows what it takes to make a project of this magnitude happen. Greenville deserves it, and I believe it will happen. Now let's see some renderings so we can get even more excited! :)

Edited by Greenville

Tryon Street, for those of you who are familiar with it, is actually a great example of my argument that towers for the sake of towers are useless. Its important to consider the context of the building and what its potential can be. The towers look nice from the interstates, but the reality is that they contribute little to the urban environment. The CBD is full of these things that contribute nothing but blank walls and uncomfortable walking spaces. Gville does not have this problem on its Main Street. Its also one that seems to still happen with any new tower across SC. Just look at the Meridian tower or First Citizens in Columbia. I want to see this problem fixed so that any new tower in Greenville or any other city will have the potential to improve the urban environment, not exacerbate its problems.

I've seen towers that do a great job of contributing to the streetscape, and those that do a poor job. Tryon Street in Charlotte has examples of both, there's no doubt about that. But I actually believe that more of the towers lining the strip do a pretty good job. As far as Columbia, Meridian has ground level retail, but we all know how First Citizens failed in that regard. The good thing about Greenville having its Main Street revitalized before any sort of "tower boom" has occurred is that it is already clearly evident what contributes to a vibrant street scene, so I would think it would be more likely that any new towers would incorporate those elements to some degree or another.

Yet that "small town" appeal is what continues to attract many people from the larger cities, not to mention keeps at least a few of us local residents excited about living here on a daily basis.

There have been several good comments in this discussion. I think Greenville is properly positioned to experience positive growth over the long term, thanks to the vision ("blueprint") in place. Strong leadership is as important as anything else in that regard. I just hope that they understand the balance between both the positive and negative impacts highrises can bring to a downtown like ours. I would love to see a special "district" setup for future corporate highrises, eliminating the need for concern in other parts of the CBD. This is something I have come to realize within the past year or two, after so many visitors' comments and my own open-minded recent visits to other cities. I LOVE highrises, but they need to be very special to be worth their price. ;)

• 9 years later...

Thanks Spartan! 

Hey guys, just thought it might be fun to revisit this thread as several years have now passed and we have seen the post recession boom. There was some good discussion here and some creative conceptual images produced. At the time of this thread, we had the pre-recession announcements like Camperdown, Pinnacle, TOFAB, Gateway site, etc. Most of these did not pan out, though the Riverplace development did pick back up. Over the past 5 years or so, we have seen lots of low-mid rise development and infill. Still no new city tallest or anything even close. Perhaps some of you have some new good shots, or Gman has some good drone videos. Here are 2 I found on youtube. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKzoEDFJusY

Good pans right here at the 1 minute and 8 minute marks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKzoEDFJusY

Cool snow video with some good shots.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 3/21/2018 at 1:36 PM, apaladin said:

I think a man on Mars, because that will eventually happen. A completed building to replace GMA, not so sure that will ever happen.

I just wish, at the vary least, they would take the fence down, level it out, and throw some grass down. I get that costs money and upkeep.... but it would look a heck of a lot better than a falling green wall. Although I guess if someone stops maintaining it 3' grass would look just as bad.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Dont think I can post the actual pics but here's a link to some pretty good shots. Lots of other cities on there too. 

https://www.skylinescenes.com/categories/greenville

Looks like they're a few years old, but still nice.

Another link

https://upstatesouthcarolinanews.wordpress.com/2015/05/01/a-collection-of-beautiful-images-of-downtown-greenville/

Wow, these are from August 2018, some fantastic ones here!

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/greenville-south-carolina-skyline.html

Edited by distortedlogic

• 3 years later...

Sitting at the ballpark last night for the Clemson-Upstate game, I was checking out the skyline from the suite level. I realized that the Broadview condo project is going to be rather visible from this angle. Additionally, if the Grace Church project comes to fruition as proposed, it will sit within view. It's actually rather interesting to study the cityscape from that angle. Due to terrain, the majority of the skyline appears to be rather consistent in stature. 

2 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Sitting at the ballpark last night for the Clemson-Upstate game, I was checking out the skyline from the suite level. I realized that the Broadview condo project is going to be rather visible from this angle. Additionally, if the Grace Church project comes to fruition as proposed, it will sit within view. It's actually rather interesting to study the cityscape from that angle. Due to terrain, the majority of the skyline appears to be rather consistent in stature. 

Pics?

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

Pics?

It's a difficult thing to take a picture of with a wide angle capture, but here's the one that somewhat turned out. Some additional height up near the courthouse would layer in nicely and punctuate the CBD in a good way. Additionally, one should be able to see County Square redevelopment from here, even with its height restrictions. 

IMG_3603.jpg

• Thanks 2