State population growth

The_sandlapper

This news is a few weeks old but I thiught it was worth addressing none the less. Our state is now the 12th fastest growing in the nation up from 18th in 2001. I think the word is getting out about SC and this is only the beginning! For what its worth this state is in for some big changes!

Here are the states fastest growing towns:

Blythewood (Columbia), Bluffton (Hilton Head), Lexington (Columbia), Summerville (Charleston) and Mauldin (Greenville).

Source from WIS

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From WIS:

But jobs and wages have failed to keep pace, leaving the state with one of the nation's highest unemployment rates.

What good is population growth if the pay and job creation isnt keeping itself up to par.

And that has been the problem: job creation cannot keep up with population growth. We've really been adding jobs, but there are more people than jobs.

Be patient with SC, it's working on it.

Currently the unemployment rate is 6.5, which is acutally higher than January (6.2) but lower than December 2005 (7.2).

Between March 2005 and March 2006, South Carolina added about 50,000 employees (thats a preliminary estimate).

Between Feb and March 2006, SC added 14,100 jobs.

This article from the Sun News suggests that SC's unemployment rate is artifically inflated because SC does not report jobs from businesses with less than 20 employees, and SC has a very high number of small businesses.

My source for the employment information is the Regional and State Unemployment Summary from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

I believe the statistics also showed our state accelerating in growth from 2000-2004, while our neighbors actually showed a sligh decelation.

And while our unemployment rate is still pretty high (from available statistics), but we also created more jobs that any other state except Montana in March, according to an article in The State.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

This news is a few weeks old but I thiught it was worth addressing none the less. Our state is now the 12th fastest growing in the nation up from 18th in 2001. I think the word is getting out about SC and this is only the beginning! For what its worth this state is in for some big changes!

Here are the states fastest growing towns:

Blythewood (Columbia), Bluffton (Hilton Head), Lexington (Columbia), Summerville (Charleston) and Mauldin (Greenville).

Source from WIS

bluffton has grown so fast in the last few years i cant believe it, i remember when everything was out in the middle of nowhere...it was like why did they build all these factory stores so far away from hilton head?...btw to the person above things have changed ALOT in sc since 2000...if im not included in the result i dont consider it to be accurate lol

• 6 months later...

The last stats I saw had the Carolinas enjoying the highest exchange rates between each other; that is, more people moved to SC from NC than any other state, and more people moved to NC from SC than any other state. I'm not sure what the time frame was for that or whether it has changed, but it's interesting.

The last stats I saw had the Carolinas enjoying the highest exchange rates between each other; that is, more people moved to SC from NC than any other state, and more people moved to NC from SC than any other state. I'm not sure what the time frame was for that or whether it has changed, but it's interesting.

I do think some residents of Mecklenburg may be skipping across the border, as the Fort Mill/Tega Cay area is one of the most desirable in the metro area and is known for its good schools (the latter being significant in light of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools' troubles). However, there are two not-so-frequent UP posters from Columbia that are orginally from NC, and I would imagine that NC'ers who desire more of an urban coastal scene with a healthy, growing population and local economy would choose Charleston.

• 4 weeks later...

I found a map that many of you will find interesting and helpful. It documents which counties throughout the US residents moved from and to in relation to one particular county. This confirms my suspicion about the number of former Mecklenburg residents moving to York County, which is a rather high number--about double the number of people making the opposite move, which I did not expect.

Archived