Plaza Tower

TSmith

Just wanted to pass along that there seems to be a lot of activity inside the Plaza Tower these days. The lobby area is being redone... looks like they are finally getting underway. Also, the sales office is open. I wonder how they're selling.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pardon my retardation, but is the Plaza Tower a residential tower? If not, what are they selling? Just curious.

Plaza Tower is a 47 story office tower in downtown New Orleans. It has been unused for the past few years because of problems with mold and asbestos.

Current Tower(Left side of picture)

26.jpg

Though the tower is being turned into a residential tower called "Crescent City Residences" which is now the official name. They are now selling condos for the tower.

Completed Tower After Complete Renovation

pmain35.jpg

The renovated rendering looks nice ! Looks like alot of work ahead to remove the box-like structure on top of Plaza Tower ?

Crescent City Residences will briefly be Louisiana's tallest residential high-rise til the 67-story Trump Tower arrives !

RiverPlace in BR will briefly be Louisiana's tallest residential "newest non-renovated"(from the ground-up) tower.

Louisiana's Tallest Approved Residential :

* Trump Tower 67-stories

* Crescent City Residences 48-stories

* River Place Condominiums 30-stories

* 100 Rampart Tower 30-stories

* Lakeshore I 26-stories

* Lakeshore II 26-stories

* Vantage Tower 25-stories

Oh okay, I know that building now that I've seen it. I recall being intrigued by its interesting design. I really never knew what to think of it.

So that design is based on the existing building? Are they adding floors to it? If so, is the foundation set up for that or are they going to have to reinforce it? The new design looks awesome!!

Cool project!

Oh okay, I know that building now that I've seen it. I recall being intrigued by its interesting design. I really never knew what to think of it.

So that design is based on the existing building? Are they adding floors to it? If so, is the foundation set up for that or are they going to have to reinforce it? The new design looks awesome!!

Cool project!

The main investor in the development said that one of the most attractive aspects of this project is that the existing building has "good bones", and shouldn't need much, if any modifications... certainly a huge cost saver. If my memory serves, it will be taller, but I'm not sure of the floor count.

The main investor in the development said that one of the most attractive aspects of this project is that the existing building has "good bones", and shouldn't need much, if any modifications... certainly a huge cost saver. If my memory serves, it will be taller, but I'm not sure of the floor count.

Very good! If a building is overbuilt in the beginning, it can prove a huge benefit in the longrun.

Thanks for the info, TSmith.

I think it is great that we are seeing existing buildings being brought back into commerce. Common sense says that we will bring back as many as possible, before putting up new towers. And that has been and is occurring. Soon we'll see the new towers. I know, I know...I'm ready, as well! :D

If my memory serves, it will be taller, but I'm not sure of the floor count.

I'm also guessing that it will be taller because it will have a type of spire, which will technically add to the overall height of the building.

Can't wait to see this when it's complete. I think our skyline will look very different in 10 years...especially with the riverfront development deal with the port finally taking shape.

Oh yes it will! And it will be very exciting to watch it all unfold! :thumbsup:

I have seen some really cool 3-D Skylines pics from other cities Newspapers, such as Seattle, Las Vegas and St. Petersburg FL. Adding the approved high-rise towers to their existing Skylines. It really looks impressive to see the growth unfold ! I would love to see this happen for New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Add those approved towers to the existing Skyline. I only wish I could pull off some 3-D images on the computer to show location and transformation of an evolving urban-core !. Both Skylines will be transformed in the coming months and I can't wait to see it. Skylines are great symbols for cities.

Skylines are great symbols for cities.

Definately. Whenever I drive to Houston and see its skyline over the horizon, I've always thought it gives you a sense of power coming from the city. The same could be said for New York and Chicago and their sheer size and importance, and many other cities as well.

I swear New Orleans has one of the ugliest skylines. The Plaza Tower looks like an airport radio control tower. The only one that doesn't offend me is the tallest one and that's just boring. It's a city that's more concerned with what's more interesting at the street level than how it's skyline advertises itself. If you knew nothing about the city and saw the skyline you'd probably be dismissive of it.

If you knew nothing about the city and saw the skyline you'd probably be dismissive of it.

Perhaps, but the same could be said very many cities. Personally I like New Orleans' skyline. Sure, it's pretty bland and the buildings for the most part are nothing unique, but I've always thought that when you see the entire skyline, from the Superdome to the Crescent City Connection, it looks good. One of the views of the skyline you see most often is from the river, and IMO that is a nice view, but doesn't expose the whole skyline. You dont see most of the buildings away from the river, and it gives no indication of just how dense New Orleans is. While when you look at the skyline from spots like the Westbank Expressway or I-10 heading westbound, the skyline looks much larger and more appealing.

This for instance, is definately a nice view and skyline shot, but doesn't do the NOLA skyline justice.

800px-New_Orleans_Skyline_PD.jpg

While views like these, really show the entire skyline, as well as the low and mid-rise density of the city.

NewOrleansCBDfromUptown.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

Though again, that's just my opinion.

I liked those Skyline pics yall ! The angle defintly makes a difference, in the Skyline.

I understand boxes can be boring sometimes, but New Orleans does not need a fancy spire, it's just not meant to be. The 39-story Energy Center is a really cool-looking tower. I think Charlotte being the "Queen City", a spire fits their landmark BOA Tower. NOLA has a "solid" Skyline !

I know Atlanta's tallest bldg. BOA at 55-stories(1,023ft) is listed higher than Houston's tallest Chase Tower at 75-stories(1,002) simply for it's "decorative spire". But really The Chase Tower "Box" is much more impressive IMO.

I know Atlanta's tallest bldg. BOA at 55-stories(1,023ft) is listed higher than Houston's tallest Chase Tower at 75-stories(1,002) simply for it's decorative spire. But really The Chase Tower "Box" is much more impressive IMO.

I agree. Chase Tower in Houston is a full 1002 feet tall, while BOA Plaza in Atlanta has at least 200 feet of spire that add's to its height. But I'm not gonna bash the BOA Plaza in Atlanta, I think it's a beautiful building. But in terms of sheer height, Chase Tower in Houston is much more impressive, IMO.

Archived