Transit Updates for Greater Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb question, but I notice a bus shelter next to the new BRT line. Once it is up and running, will they divert those buses and people will instead use the BRT?

Joe

No, It will be an additional shelter and route 1 will remain the same. The Silver Line is a different route. At the Kroc Center there is room for a route 1 bus before the Silver Line Station but I don't know how it will work at places like 36th Street where there will only be room for one.

I think most that use the Rapid at the Kroc Center go to Central Station so most will use Route 1 to get there sooner. There will be some that don't go all the way to Central Station that will use the Silver Line. The Silver Line will take some from route 1 but that will just allow for less standing room only at times.

I am looking forward to using the Silver Line to go to the Lake Michigan Credit Union Branch at Saint Mary's Hospital as there will be a station right there.

Edited by John E

That platform's a lot longer than I thought it'd be.  It also looks like it's at a slight incline.  I hope it won't cause any problems with wheelchairs.

I believe it is level and all the stations are designed for wheelchairs. There will be ramps from the sidewalk to the station platform but I'm sure they will be easy to use.

That platform's a lot longer than I thought it'd be.  It also looks like it's at a slight incline.  I hope it won't cause any problems with wheelchairs.

I think I read that the platforms will have snowmelt systems in them, so maybe the slight incline is for melted snow to run off. Even though there's a roof, it won't stop snow blowing sideways.

Finishing up the concrete work for the street at the Kroc Center for the Rapid's Silver Line BRT Station construction.

8741162613_2e7ff552ff_c.jpg

It's not some crazy camera perspective,  it's sloping.  You can see the concrete support bases for the canopy get taller from left to right. The tops of those concrete bases are all at the same elevation.

The road is on a slight incline so the BRT station has to be at the same incline.  If it wasn't, the floor of the bus would not match the the floor of the station platform.  Remember there is more then one door opening on the bus, and they all need to be level with the platform.

They could have made the steel support for the canopy taller from left to right.  But it's probably easier to make concrete bases get taller and the steel supports all the same height.

• Like 1

They are moving right along with the Kroc Center Station. Yesterday they poured the concrete in the street and today they did a lot of work on the sidewalk/ramps. The ramps are long and almost not noticable. Especially with the incline of the street and sidewalk.

8745015667_45b54073c7_c.jpg

They're going to town on a number of stations now. I saw the one in front of Devos Place has started and the one by Saint Mary's as well.

Yes, I took a photos of them. The one at Saint Mary's had a couple trucks around it and there wasn't much to it. Here is the photo of start at DeVos Place. They are able to keep the sidewalk open near the building. It is a "clean build" without much interuption for traffic and pedestrians.

8741162301_d6edd4a595_c.jpg

that looks like a regular bus stop shelter, I thought they were going to look larger and more modern?

They are just done with the concrete work for the platform, street and sidewalk/ramp for the station. They also put in a snow melt system. The stations also will have brick crosswalks and other enhancements. Most stations will get trees added. The station will be much larger than the bus stop shelters. They will have a fare vending machine, bus arrival time display and benches for like 12 people. This station will have an additional bus stop shelter that will remain there. I believe this is the only station that will have a shelter next to it. For more information on the Silver Line BRT system go to: http://www.ridetherapid.org/BRT

The Rapid's Silver Line BRT Station at the Kroc Center construction update.
The street should be opened back up soon from the lane closures.
This station is the first one scheduled to be completed.

8844331386_a4428bffe1_c.jpg

8843709493_042d1124e8_c.jpg

Edited by John E

I was told by a Christman Construction worker that the road and sidewalk barricades for the Kroc Center Station on Division Ave. between 28th Street and Alger would be removed tomorrow, May 31, 2013.

He also told me that the station canopy for the inbound station at Burton would be erected before the Kroc Center Station due to it being manufactured first. They are being made in Colorado. I was told that at yesterdays' meeting but on my way home I noticed that the Burton Station was not as far along as the Kroc Center Station and couldn't figure out why the Burton Station Canopy would go up first. He said that the station canopies have different nuances. He also said that the construction company that is working on the new Popeye's Building has interfered with their construction there. Digging the same hole 3 times, lol.

Oh, I was also told at the meeting that they are working on buying the parking lot at 60th Street for a SilverLine park and ride. I believe that will be a total success if they able to get the lot.

Anyway, this SilverLine Project sure is exciting. It will be real coolio with Grand Rapids being on the cutting edge with the first advanced BRT Line in Michigan.

Edited by John E
  • Like 1

That's on the South side station for the sidewalk ramp. I'm sure it is there for wheelchair safety as there is a bit of a drop-off on the East side of the sidewalk ramp. Oh yes, it is north of the bus stop shelter. It is for the ramp and there is plenty of room from shelter to the bus stop location to avoid the curb. That shelter may be removed.

Edited by John E