Transit Updates for Greater Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

I totally think it's Megabus. Unlike Greyhound and Indian Trails, MegasBus does a straight shot to Chicago (no stops in pudunkyville towns), in a little over 3 hours (about how long it takes to drive your car there). And it costs about 2/3's of an Amtrak ticket, which from here is hit or miss as to how long it will take due to freight rail traffic in the Indiana area.

It is difficult for Amtrak to compete under current conditions.  With the siding being built from Amtrak owned tracks that end in Porter, IN to Chicago and the Englewood flyover in South Chicago, this will change the equation.  Those are the remaining two bottlenecks and cause for delays.  The bottleneck in Englewood, Chicago is currently top 5 worst choke points in the entire US rail system.

If a siding could be built in the GR rail yards and the flyover built in New Buffalo, travel times would be down to around 3 hours and delays virtually eliminated.  Speeds of 110mph would then be the norm on a large portion of the Pere Marq line (New Buffalo to Chicago).  This does not include the new locomotives that are being built that will have an operating speed of 125mph.  Megabus would still have to contend with traffic, weather, and construction delays that are endemic in this area.  To be honest, I think Megabus serves a certain segment and works great.  Megabus is fantastic for people without cars and those on a fixed income like students.  The problem is most professionals and families probably would choose a more expensive option that had similar travel times and far less delays.  Even if nothing were to change, the most efficient way to get to Chicago is driving to Northern Indiana and taking the South Shore line.

• Like 1

It is difficult for Amtrak to compete under current conditions.  With the siding being built from Amtrak owned tracks that end in Porter, IN to Chicago and the Englewood flyover in South Chicago, this will change the equation.  Those are the remaining two bottlenecks and cause for delays.  The bottleneck in Englewood, Chicago is currently top 5 worst choke points in the entire US rail system.

If a siding could be built in the GR rail yards and the flyover built in New Buffalo, travel times would be down to around 3 hours and delays virtually eliminated.  Speeds of 110mph would then be the norm on a large portion of the Pere Marq line (New Buffalo to Chicago).  This does not include the new locomotives that are being built that will have an operating speed of 125mph.  Megabus would still have to contend with traffic, weather, and construction delays that are endemic in this area.  To be honest, I think Megabus serves a certain segment and works great.  Megabus is fantastic for people without cars and those on a fixed income like students.  The problem is most professionals and families probably would choose a more expensive option that had similar travel times and far less delays.  Even if nothing were to change, the most efficient way to get to Chicago is driving to Northern Indiana and taking the South Shore line.

That's my favorite. Or if we do drive all the way in to Chicago, we get a hotel in one of the O'Hare airport burbs and ride the Metra into downtown (it's cheap, and kids ride free most days).

That's my favorite. Or if we do drive all the way in to Chicago, we get a hotel in one of the O'Hare airport burbs and ride the Metra into downtown (it's cheap, and kids ride free most days).

You can get some really great name your own price rates around O'Hare on Priceline.com on the weekends.

I use to use the Michigan City station, but Dune Park makes it even more efficient.  Plus, it is a much nicer station with well lit parking.  The hotel and metra combo is a good idea too, but there is something about riding into the city from the Hyde Park direction and being deposited right at the epicenter of the city.  I know this is a stretch, but for some reason it reminds me of riding Metro North into Grand Central or even riding a commuter line into Shinjuku in Tokyo.  It is a really cool experience that you cannot get in the US outside of NYC and maybe Philly.

I use to use the Michigan City station, but Dune Park makes it even more efficient.  Plus, it is a much nicer station with well lit parking.  The hotel and metra combo is a good idea too, but there is something about riding into the city from the Hyde Park direction and being deposited right at the epicenter of the city.  I know this is a stretch, but for some reason it reminds me of riding Metro North into Grand Central or even riding a commuter line into Shinjuku in Tokyo.  It is a really cool experience that you cannot get in the US outside of NYC and maybe Philly.

That's true, but coming into Ogilvie Station on the Metra is pretty cool as well. It feels like an airport for trains. And the buildings are bigger in that area. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Rapid is getting ready to kick off a study of adding BRT to the Laker Line, GR to Allendale. First public meetings/input sessions are Nov 21st.

• 8:00 – 10:00 AM at the Walker Fire Station in Standale
  • 12:00 – 2:00 PM at the Kirkhof Center on GVSU’s main campus
  • 5:30 – 7:30 PM at Rapid Central Station in downtown Grand Rapids

They have a Facebook page to better keep up with updates (if you're on FB):

https://www.facebook.com/LakerLine

This should happen quicker than it took for the SilverLine because it is not dependent on taxes. The line is privately funded by GVSU.

Here is the MiBiz article:

http://mibiz.com/item/20857-the-rapid-plans-for-brt-line-to-gvsu-campus-in-allendale

I read that article and it makes me hope they resist any calls to expand this BRT into "downtown" Allendale. Adding time to the route will negate any benefits of upgrading to BRT, just for the sake of increased development.

Also, despite the article making it seem like it will be privately funded, infrastructure funding would come from DOT money. Not necessarily property taxes, but it will be publicly funded. Unless GVSU wants to pony up some of the money, which is still public dollars. It could be really cool if done correctly.

I read that article and it makes me hope they resist any calls to expand this BRT into "downtown" Allendale. Adding time to the route will negate any benefits of upgrading to BRT, just for the sake of increased development.

Also, despite the article making it seem like it will be privately funded, infrastructure funding would come from DOT money. Not necessarily property taxes, but it will be publicly funded. Unless GVSU wants to pony up some of the money, which is still public dollars. It could be really cool if done correctly.

I was aware of that, just saying it would be quicker without the need for a property tax increase vote.

Im having difficulty seeing what they would be doing here.  Is this essentially a public bus 50 route with added stops or would they not expand the number of stops?  Also, would they actually consider removing a lane on M-45?  Obviously this is still in the study phase, so I might just be asking these questions to the wind.

This doesn't actually seem like it would benefit GVSU very much, since the bus is already very efficient - but it could benefit the public.

Im having difficulty seeing what they would be doing here.  Is this essentially a public bus 50 route with added stops or would they not expand the number of stops?  Also, would they actually consider removing a lane on M-45?  Obviously this is still in the study phase, so I might just be asking these questions to the wind.

This doesn't actually seem like it would benefit GVSU very much, since the bus is already very efficient - but it could benefit the public.

I believe the goal is to upgrade it into a BRT line like the Silver line, with a dedicated lane during peak hours, traffic light priority, enhanced buses, and permanent shelters. If done correctly, it may cut quite a bit off the drive time between downtown and allendale. If done incorrectly, it shouldn't be done. :)

• Like 1

Do you mean Standale?  It doesn't really mention "downtown" Allendale.

I was wondering the same thing. The line is pretty efficient as it is but the permanent shelters and light priority would make sense.  Any dedicated lanes through the Standale artery would make getting through Standale much worse than it is now (it's bad at "rush" hour).  I hope they buy the lot at Bridge/Covell/LMD and do something official (like a park and ride lot) on that corner instead of the old Westdale building.

We had a campus connector going into Allendale when the service started but it didn't take off, primarily because the township has an wall on student housing (doesn't cross M45 to the north, Filmore to the south, and 56th to the west--a recent expansion beyond the previous line 52nd) so there weren't any riders.  I would welcome the service since my family and I will often park at GVSU and take the bus downtown for whatever we need. The kids love it. I just wish it ran more frequently in the summer hours to take me to festival, etc. etc.

Do you mean Standale?  It doesn't really mention "downtown" Allendale.

I mentioned Allendale specifically because as soon as people start throwing out figures of "$xxxx amount of development will result around station Y in Standale," as always happens in these exercises, then Allendale may want to usurp a stop or two. I would assume that Allendale representatives will be present at all of these planning sessions (I would if I were an Allendale official).

I was jumping ahead of the reporter of the article.

In other news, tracks are starting to be laid at the Amtrak station:

10950041695_6ee2076294_c.jpg

10950090756_641ac47efc_c.jpg

I mentioned Allendale specifically because as soon as people start throwing out figures of "$xxxx amount of development will result around station Y in Standale," as always happens in these exercises, then Allendale may want to usurp a stop or two. I would assume that Allendale representatives will be present at all of these planning sessions (I would if I were an Allendale official).

I was jumping ahead of the reporter of the article.

Oh, gotcha.  I could see the line going to 48th Ave to serve students near there.  However, on the flip side, I definitely think some Allendale representatives could show up to these planning sessions in order to actively resist any suggestion of the Rapid going further west.

• 2 weeks later...