Transit Updates for Greater Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

nice pics!!!! While much better than the old station, is anyone else a little disappointed by the new station? Its so bland and boring. It looks like someone used lego's to build the model with which they built the actual building from.

With just 1 arrival and departure daily (with fewer passengers thanks to Megabus) the structure seems fitting.

Anyone know what's installed above the clock tower?

They have much of the track down for the new Amtrak Station.

11136651403_6ae9298c14_c.jpg

Fantasy entrepreneur of the day thought:  Put a parking deck and boutique hotel in that warehouse building and sell packaged deals for park and ride trips to Chicago on the train.  Safe, secure parking and the opportunity to sleep in a little extra before catching the early morning departure.

Fantasy entrepreneur of the day thought:  Put a parking deck and boutique hotel in that warehouse building and sell packaged deals for park and ride trips to Chicago on the train.  Safe, secure parking and the opportunity to sleep in a little extra before catching the early morning departure.

I hate to burst your bubble, but think of how much more traffic there is going and coming from the airport every day and it doesn't even really have a hotel nearby. Just sayin. ;)

I think the horseshoe bar building would have been a great spot for a boutique hotel, but the pricetag for that building was just too much.

I hate to burst your bubble, but think of how much more traffic there is going and coming from the airport every day and it doesn't even really have a hotel nearby. Just sayin. ;)

I think the horseshoe bar building would have been a great spot for a boutique hotel, but the pricetag for that building was just too much.

Awwww... don't be such a wet blanket :P.  The airport already has safe covered parking plus you can get flights that leave at different times throughout the day. 

Besides, now that the homeless have been kicked out from their hideout under the overpass, I don't want them coming over and breaking into my car while I'm in Chicago...  JOKING!

I don't know who owns the parking lots around St. Cecilla and Park(ing lot) Church, but the new Silver Line stops on this section of Fulton should encourage development. Seeing these lots empty after 5 is painful. 

I like the sun hitting the green on the SilverLine BRT Station on Fulton.

11136584434_976577d3c3_c.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/11136584434/in/set-72157637268303815

• 2 weeks later...

Well if that property, which is located on the west side of Division, is the Park N Ride lot.  And the only Silverline station is on the east side of Division.  I think that would be a mistake.

Any construction going on down there yet?  The ITP owned lot could just be a bus turn around / staging area. Or they may have switched the station to the west side.

Well if that property, which is located on the west side of Division, is the Park N Ride lot.  And the only Silverline station is on the east side of Division.  I think that would be a mistake.

Any construction going on down there yet?  The ITP owned lot could just be a bus turn around / staging area. Or they may have switched the station to the west side.

Oh wait, I'm confused now. I was thinking of the lot across Division on the East side. I should pay attention more, lol.

The Rapid sent me this concept image of the SilverLines' BRT Bus.
They said images along with this one would be formally posted tomorrow.

Please visit their site for updates on the SilverLine:
http://www.ridetherapid.org/futureplanning/silverline?url=brt

The back doors don't look as wide as I expected, but I'm sure they will be sufficient and allow for good seating capacity.
11407962404_47fcd9554f_c.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/11407962404/in/set-72157638358014423

The Rapid sent me this concept image of the SilverLines' BRT Bus.

They said images along with this one would be formally posted tomorrow.

Please visit their site for updates on the SilverLine:

http://www.ridetherapid.org/futureplanning/silverline?url=brt

The back doors don't look as wide as I expected, but I'm sure they will be sufficient and allow for good seating capacity.

11407962404_47fcd9554f_c.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/11407962404/in/set-72157638358014423

Dude, that looks just like a light rail train. :)

That is much more like what I had envisioned the Silver Line buses would look like, since I had thought they were intended to be "different" than the normal buses so that the BRT would be easily distinguishable from a regular bus.

EDIT: One possible consideration would be the effect enclosed wheel wells would have on snow and ice build-up.  They don't exactly have to deal with that in Vegas.  But, you'd think it could still be workable, modern technology and all. :)  

The Rapid renderings look awfully similar to the Euclid line buses in Cleveland.  https://www.google.com/search?q=cleveland+euclid+brt&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=eL6xUtH5JuO0yAHqnYDgCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1241&bih=583#imgdii=_  I'd guess they might be from the same manufacturer.  Although I'd think in terms of new BRT design, those buses would be "obsolete" by now.

Edited by fotoman311

I think we are moving towards having a public debate on an extravagant public transit system (Denver and Salt Lake City stand out in that they funded an entire network through one vote). Although we are not there today. Alternatively, the incremental approach may work fine albeit a bit slower to complete. Give the Silver Lane a couple years of success, show off some of the development it induces, build the Laker Line, and then begin planning on the southeast line (downtown to airport through all the major activity centers). 

I know many here would like to see an extravagant public transit system, but it is obvious that the taxpayers do not.

I am happy with what we are getting with The Rapid and the new Amtrak Station.

The public here has never been asked (via a millage or election) about an extravagant public transit system. So I'm not sure what is "obvious."