Transit Updates for Greater Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

I just had a brain storm. Granted this would be just a visual impact instead of a major mass transit upgrade. But to add more character to DT, I would replace the fleet of buses of the DASH system with trolly theme buses when the service life of the existing fleet ended. Just thought somthing like that would be kind of a neat and a charming addition to DT's urban atmosphere.

Also if and when the metro area gets a fixed guide way mass transit system going, instead of doing some sleek futuristic George Jetson style of trains or BRT vehicles, go with somthing that looks like its from the past. The light rail system in New Orleans with its green electric (I think) train cars would be a good example of the look and feel. People instantly warm up to somthing with charm and character. Trollies and other 19th centry mass transit options had a lot of charm character going for them. The advantages of today's modern technology can and should be used. But mask it with the old fashion look.

I think we had this discussion here last year. Old-fashioned style trollies make it look more like a tourist ride or theme park, as opposed to a legitimate transit system. At least, I think that's what the consensus was.

This to me says "Fast, modern, clean, ride me every day"

Sacramento%20Light%20Rail.jpg

This to me says "Take me out to the ballgame"

ny%20streetcar.jpg

My aesthetic comments that follow are probably skewed by the fact that I just spent a couple hours with a dear friend who was one of the primary visionaries behind the design of the convention center and Rapid Station (both using what my 7yr old son calls the "wavy roofs")....

What if we had basic, clean, modern vehicles, but they incorporated a cool graphic exterior that emulated the wave forms of the Grand River, the Convention Center and the Rapid Station? For those needing an existing visual for reference, it would loosely resemble the exterior graphics on the new GR Press bldg (although I would in no way want our new transit system to seem connected the Press!!!) I do like how this would boldly celebrate the central feature of the core metro area: the Grand River.

In spite of my GR Press reference, I think you get my drift - perhaps it's less about the construction of the cars/busses (especially if we're thinking of picking up existing used train cars cheap) - and more about the exterior paint/color/graphic scheme we apply to those cars/busses. I'd want it to be something like another friend of mine, Steve Fryckholm at Herman Miller, did for their semi trucks - clearly unique and eye-catching - - something that establishes a very clear brand identity different than what everyone else is doing.

My aesthetic comments that follow are probably skewed by the fact that I just spent a couple hours with a dear friend who was one of the primary visionaries behind the design of the convention center and Rapid Station (both using what my 7yr old son calls the "wavy roofs")....

What if we had basic, clean, modern vehicles, but they incorporated a cool graphic exterior that emulated the wave forms of the Grand River, the Convention Center and the Rapid Station? For those needing an existing visual for reference, it would loosely resemble the exterior graphics on the new GR Press bldg (although I would in no way want our new transit system to seem connected the Press!!!) I do like how this would boldly celebrate the central feature of the core metro area: the Grand River.

In spite of my GR Press reference, I think you get my drift - perhaps it's less about the construction of the cars/busses (especially if we're thinking of picking up existing used train cars cheap) - and more about the exterior paint/color/graphic scheme we apply to those cars/busses. I'd want it to be something like another friend of mine, Steve Fryckholm at Herman Miller, did for their semi trucks - clearly unique and eye-catching - - something that establishes a very clear brand identity different than what everyone else is doing.

Some of the new Rapids buses are decorated with cool looking wave theme graphics. I see one of them on the GVSU connector route every time I'm on Lake Michigan Dr. I think the rest of the fleet will have same graphics applied over time.

Edited by tamias6

Here's a link to a picture of a New Orleans Street Car.

New Orleans Street Car

It has alot of character but I don't think it looks too theme park-ish.

Also here's a link to the Wikipedia article about New Orleans street cars with more photos of them in action.

Wikipedia Article

Something that looks acts and feels like these but had modern technology under the hood, would be a real cool treat. Just imagine one of these rolling through Heartside or Heritege Hill or maybe through Munroe Center. Personaly I don't see why somthing like these would not work. Heck, there were streetcars running through out GR way back in the late 1800's and early 1900's. GR's heritage is a hidden and untaped asset.

Edited by tamias6

I cooked this up, is this what you envisioned? Graphics on a standard loco for this use. I'll put up some passenger cabs sometime tomorrow.

scheme2vd7.gif

Edited by Rizzo

I'm loving it too!!!! (and I have a degree in graphic design)

We just need to make sure the guerilla marketers don't slap advertising all over them. I'd hate to see promos featuring "the Geha's" mug shot plastered all over them.

I'm loving it too!!!! (and I have a degree in graphic design)

We just need to make sure the guerilla marketers don't slap advertising all over them. I'd hate to see promos featuring "the Geha's" mug shot plastered all over them.

No Gehas... :lol:

But I'd go for this:

scheme2bhc1.gif

Imagine the people looking at Heartwell zooming by. :D

Edited by Rizzo

Not to take this thread totally off track (pun intended), what if the cars were mostly white with a tasteful blue and green wave graphic running down their sides - - less or cheaper paint required, withstands the elements longer before looking faded, etc. Just trying to think brighter and bolder on a very cold dreary day.

Maybe all I need is a warm cup of cocoa, a blanket and a long nap...

Not to take this thread totally off track (pun intended), what if the cars were mostly white with a tasteful blue and green wave graphic running down their sides - - less or cheaper paint required, withstands the elements longer before looking faded, etc. Just trying to think brighter and bolder on a very cold dreary day.

Maybe all I need is a warm cup of cocoa, a blanket and a long nap...

You'd probably have to still paint the white :lol:

On the right track? newhw5.gif

newdo8.gif

Edited by Rizzo

scheme2vd7.gif

The white would be a tough sell...winter's in Michigan do wonders the exterior beauty of anything and everything :)

I think this is a great design, but keep the bottom under the wave silver (or even the whole thing silver except for the trim line), as this would keep painting and re-painting to a minimum, and would help hide inevitable dirt / grime.

...scheme2bhc1.gif

No nononononono. You don't want to have to change the graphics every time a politician does something. City of Detroit plastered COLEMAN A YOUNG MAYOR all over everything, and the expense of changing that to Archer, then Kwame, was...a lot.

The cityscape is a nice touch, however.

Seen the freeway overpass paint jobs? I think there's one on I-96 at the recently-completed exit.

No nononononono. You don't want to have to change the graphics every time a politician does something. City of Detroit plastered COLEMAN A YOUNG MAYOR all over everything, and the expense of changing that to Archer, then Kwame, was...a lot.

The cityscape is a nice touch, however.

Seen the freeway overpass paint jobs? I think there's one on I-96 at the recently-completed exit.

I orignially was going to put a monocle and top hat to complete the Heartwell graphic... It was funny for the moment, I was to busy laughing so I forgot. -_-

I haven't seen Michigan freeway overpasses in a month, and I haven't seen ones on 96 or 196 in over a year. How are they painted.

Edited by Rizzo

What's wrong with using the RAPID's new look?

1157039209_newbusgraphic2.jpg

Got some new pictures for you guys to keep the wheels spinning. This is South of downtown just East of the Union Station development, where the current rail line comes into downtown. The overpass that you see with the cars going over is 131 heading into downtown. It jogs a little to the NE before it hits the S-curve. The railroad tracks actually run pretty straight N-S. Looks like there's enough room to add another track to the far right in this picture.

268698748_61ee545b74_b.jpg

Crossed over the tracks now, you should recognize the ANTIQUES lettering in the window. The bridge is 131. This little service drive I'm on would be an excellent location for the added rail line. There are also a lot of vacant industrial parcels East of this spot that might make for some interesting opportunities.

268701896_6e17dbe8cb_b.jpg

Extra viaduct on the right that lines up perfectly with the ITP station

268701898_12086f4176_b.jpg

268701900_8f5a562664_b.jpg

Current DASH lot 6 that the RAPID is exercising their option on. Goes under Wealthy unencumbered.

268701903_7f617e7439_b.jpg

Looking back South under 131 from Century. Tracks can be seen in the distance. They are just rebuilding Century right now as far as I know.

268701909_335529b606_b.jpg

LAST STOP

268701906_e7cf2daa43_b.jpg

With corresponding map showing some sort of station "node" at Hall Street:

268946534_0b030abf7d_b.jpg

Austin is in progress of building a commuter rail line on an existing freight rail corridor, called the Austin Capital MetroRail

32 Miles, 3 planned park-n-ride stops, 6 pedestrian stops, cost of around $100 Million (from what I can gather).

large_map_2.png

image_4629346.jpg

future_stations.jpg