Transit Updates for Greater Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

It would be great if someone could bring a print out of existing rail lines to our little confab on Thursday. A copy we could scribble on, etc. Anybody capable of this?

Maybe I'm spoiled by my Township Planner's REGIS talents, but I was ideally hoping for something that superimposed a rails map with aerial/satellite photography. Something big we could all scribble on and use highlighters on to show ideas/challenges/opportunities. Any REGIS or similar gurus out there?

And while the regional map above is nice, I guess my mind is focused on GR metro at the largest - in that park-and-ride is my primary interest short term.

I apologize in advance for being such a slave to the visual side - it's both a curse and a blessing.

Edited by FilmMaker

Maybe I'm spoiled by my Township Planner's REGIS talents, but I was ideally hoping for something that superimposed a rails map with aerial/satellite photography. Something big we could all scribble on and use highlighters on to show ideas/challenges/opportunities. Any REGIS or similar gurus out there?

And while the regional map above is nice, I guess my mind is focused on GR metro at the largest - in that park-and-ride is my primary interest short term.

I apologize in advance for being such a slave to the visual side - it's both a curse and a blessing.

That would be great, but I don't know where you'd get your hands on something like that.

That would be great, but I don't know where you'd get your hands on something like that.

Right now I'm going through GIS data for Kent County... I guess if someone had a large plotter they could print it out, roll it up, and bring it to the meeting? :dontknow: Otherwise, what I'm doing is dividing sections of the data so that they can be printed out on individual 8x11s. IF that sounds good, I'll post them up on my website so that you guys can download sections an print them out individually. Possibly get some laminate or clear tape and secure them together? Talk about improvising :lol:

Edited by Rizzo

Since we are here to share experiences between the various cities, you folks may be interested in this post in the Raleigh forum. Some background. Raleigh has been working to bring a hybrid commuter rail line through the metro (includes Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill) but got the unfortunate news this year they do not qualify for federal funding. The FTA changed the rules last year which knocked them out of the running even though they have spent 12 years on the project.

The reason I mention it here is that post concerns a meeting held by transit officials to re-address the rapid transit needs of the area, and what they need to do to get the project off the ground again. Many of the issues that GR will face were covered in that meeting and it may be of interest to the readers here.

Note: TTA is the Triangle Transit Authority. The Triangle is the nickname for the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill metro.

Since we are here to share experiences between the various cities, you folks may be interested in this post in the Raleigh forum. Some background. Raleigh has been working to bring a hybrid commuter rail line through the metro (includes Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill) but got the unfortunate news this year they do not qualify for federal funding. The FTA changed the rules last year which knocked them out of the running even though they have spent 12 years on the project.

The reason I mention it here is that post concerns a meeting held by transit officials to re-address the rapid transit needs of the area, and what they need to do to get the project off the ground again. Many of the issues that GR will face were covered in that meeting and it may be of interest to the readers here.

That information is very helpful. Thanks for the share! This looks interesting:

He (DART guy) also said key ingredients for making a transit plan work are: (a) that you have a problem (ie,congestion) (b) have a well though-out solution--a multimodal plan with public support
Edited by Rizzo

Note: TTA is the Triangle Transit Authority. The Triangle is the nickname for the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill metro.

Thanks for helping us stay up to date on these issues monsoon. I'll have to get into that thread some more when I get a chance.

In very much related news:

Grand Rapids: Transit summit takes off

Mass transit advocates celebrate growth, eye possible tax increase

I'm glad this is not falling by the wayside. I wonder which "local leaders" were involved in this (other than the RAPID people)?

From REGIS. Chris Dingman can help ya out. (The non-motorized committee requested something similar for a meeting, and there it was, in PowerPoint and hard copy.)

[Rizzo said I should join this thread. I can walk to Graydon's.]

Google maps now has satelite photos of GR, but there not that great, just thought id try to help you guys out.

We have a big plotter at school, if i was closer to GR i would gladly print out a huge map for you guys.

Anyone know if they have wireless internet access at Graydon's? I kind of doubt it, but it would be cool to go on line to search out things as we chat.

Edited by FilmMaker

Anyone know if they have wireless internet access at Graydon's? I kind of doubt it, but it would be cool to go on line to search out things as we chat.

Yes, they are wireless. I have an old laptop I could bring, or someone else can volunteer one.

More news from the transit summit:

More rely upon rapid transit

During the 2006 budget year, the system had the largest single-year increase in ridership -- clocking in 7.4 million rides, an increase of just under 1 million users from record-breaking 2006. Total annual ridership is up 15.1 percent, said Rapid spokeswoman Jennifer Kalczuk.

The county's new task force is getting ready to ask for a small millage increase next year. Now's the time to get some different ideas in front of them.

Thanks Rizzo. It seems like there are a lot of different groups working on transit (the RAPID, GVMC, Kent County). It's quite confusing.

We're going to have a little get together at Graydon's next Thursday (26th) at around 6:30 - 7:00. Anyone interested in helping to throw around transit ideas, please come. It's casual, and it will be just UP'ers.

Hey, in yesterday's paper there was a mention of a meeting hosted by ITP at the same day and time (but a different station: the one where the buses are). http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/bas...?NEG&coll=6 doesn't mention the meeting; it was in a sidebar in the print edition.

Shall we combine efforts?

Edited by Veloise

Hey, in yesterday's paper there was a mention of a meeting hosted by ITP at the same day and time (but a different station: the one where the buses are). http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/bas...?NEG&coll=6 doesn't mention the meeting; it was in a sidebar in the print edition.

Shall we combine efforts?

I believe those meetings are for community input concerning fare and route changes. Tomorrow at 6pm...

Here's some more infor: http://www.ridetherapid.org/newsInfo/publichearings/

Edited by Rizzo