Transit Updates for Greater Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

12 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

The Mrs. already commented on them going a bit too fast on the sidewalk, but genuinely wants to try them out.

They technically aren't supposed to be ridded on the sidewalk.  Apparently there is a way to report "bad users" on the app.

I drove around downtown last night and was surprised at how many people were using them. It’ll be interesting to see if we end up having the same problems other cities have (scooters scattered around). I thought it was a dumb idea, but honestly, after seeing them,  it looked like a pretty fun/quick way to get from point a to point b. 

Joe

On 10/11/2020 at 11:31 AM, grandrollerz said:

they are showing up in our neighborhood in belknap,

Yes,  they can be used up to College Ave.

I've ridden one from downtown to College & Shirley St, through Belknap; as well as having seen numerous of them in Belknap.

On 10/4/2020 at 11:25 AM, Pattmost20 said:

Well if they have to use the street I guess they get to use parking spots as wel

Agree, yes.  They are entirely entitled to use parking spaces in parking lots.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 54equalsunity said:

Cars are urban litter. I'd rather see actual parking enforcement instead of the pick-and-choose approach I see now before we penalize a scooter user for leaving one next to a sidewalk. The double standard here is crazy.

Do you often have a car parked in the middle of a sidewalk in a busy business district of a neighborhood? Cars are ticketed and towed on a fairly consistent basis, at least on the Westside. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

Do you often have a car parked in the middle of a sidewalk in a busy business district of a neighborhood? Cars are ticketed and towed on a fairly consistent basis, at least on the Westside. 

Urban litter, I tell you! [Kicks tire, shouts at cloud]. Sorry @54equalsunity, I'm just joking with you. It conjured up an instance image when I read it. If only we had other topics to be angry and divisive about right now... :)

Joe

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/20/2020 at 9:21 PM, joeDowntown said:

Yeah, seems like they could set up a geo fence, and if it isn’t in that area when you say you return it, it just keeps racking up the hours.

That's not only possible, it is the plan.

The scooters are being being phased it, and features/constraints will be added incrementally.

Downtown, they will be geo-fenced out of pedestrian only area, sign-out will be geo-fenced to designated parking areas

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 2/4/2019 at 12:06 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Per the usual, landowner wants way too much for that corner. You'd have to build a 12 story building to make the numbers work. I think it's owned by the Westdale family estate? They probably want even more now than even a few years ago. 

Noticed last evening that there's a for sale sign on the Westdale property at Covell/LMD

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, uncus said:

The old Amtrak station has been repainted in candy shop colors.

Anybody know what the plans are for the building?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been wondering the same thing. I couldn't find any permits or approvals on building eye. 

On 8/26/2021 at 7:27 PM, uncus said:

The old Amtrak station has been repainted in candy shop colors.
Anybody know what the plans are for the building?

On 8/27/2021 at 8:31 AM, demhem said:

I've been wondering the same thing. I couldn't find any permits or approvals on building eye. 

Took a photo on my walk today.  Kind of a mystery.  No signs or permits on the building itself.  There are a few trash bags around but I didn't investigate them.  Some of the parking lot is being used as a staging area for the Market Street utility work,

2121169775_OLDSTATION.thumb.JPG.7f50f7df726d8147c996562038357ff6.JPG

Edited by walker
needed to edit bad grammar
  • Like 3