Transit Updates for Greater Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

Has anyone rode the CHI <-> GRR train lately?  Was it full?  I would think if the demand were there they would add another, but isn't Amtrak basically operating at a loss?

While we're on the subject it sure would be nice to have a direct route to the D .

13 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

Has anyone rode the CHI <-> GRR train lately?  Was it full?  I would think if the demand were there they would add another, but isn't Amtrak basically operating at a loss?

While we're on the subject it sure would be nice to have a direct route to the D .

Amtrak operates at a loss almost everywhere. It ostensibly exists to provide a necessary service, not make big profits. Agree big time on GR to Detroit by rail though, especially passing through Lansing. It would make our train network actually work as a network, instead of the three disconnected services it is now

Edited by ZAP!

3 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

My daughter rides it often and it’s pretty full/tickets sometimes sell out.

We have to go through Kalamazoo when that happens (Kalamazoo to Chicago is a much better route as it runs manu times throughout the day. Sucks we aren’t in a direct line from Detroit to Chicago). 

I think there are only 2 cars on the train. So it’s busy, but obviously could be busier. 

Joe

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Has anyone rode the CHI <-> GRR train lately?

Yes

7 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I would think if the demand were there they would add another,

Not how this works.

7 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

but isn't Amtrak basically operating at a loss?

You do realize airlines are not profitable?   Also General Motors has been bailed out by the US government at least three times in my life.  Also, well: roads.  The principle distinction is what things we allow to pretend to be for-profit "private" businesses and which things we don't.
Transportation systems are never profitable, they are necessary.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Winston1206 said:

Does anyone remember the GR-Holland commuter rail idea that was floating around pre-COVID? Assuming that is probably dead at this point, right? I recall talk of having a dedicated bus route to test the waters 

It was always intended to debut as a bus service.

The idea isn't dead, but under the current regimes (useless state legislature, governor with no interest what-so-ever in urbanism or transportation) I don't see anything happening soon.  There is currently a leadership vacuum.

3 hours ago, whitemice said:

Yes

Not how this works.

You do realize airlines are not profitable?   Also General Motors has been bailed out by the US government at least three times in my life.  Also, well: roads.  The principle distinction is what things we allow to pretend to be for-profit "private" businesses and which things we don't.

General Motors directly and indirectly (through its suppliers) employs more than a million people. Amtrak does not even come close. 

But that's a 10 year old debate. 

13 hours ago, whitemice said:

Not how this works.

Then how does it work?

13 hours ago, whitemice said:

Not sure what private corporations have to do with this?  Airlines are profitable... to the tune of $2.7B in Q3 of 2021, they aren't charities flying people around the world out of the goodness of their hearts.  GM is a totally different animal, as GRdad said, they and their suppliers employ millions, it was a "too big to fail" situation, but again, totally irrelevant to Amtrak

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Looks like we are revising the DASH routes downtown:

https://www.grandrapidsmi.gov/Government/Departments/Mobile-GR/DASH-the-Downtown-Area-Shuttle#section-2

New DASH Circulator Information

The DASH West and DASH North routes are being consolidated into a single circulator to better serve visitors, residents and anyone trying to get around downtown Grand Rapids. (See preview of the new route below).

This new route will serve new areas of Grand Rapids and connect many downtown and neighborhood destinations. As always the DASH will be completely FREE to ride.

The new service will be now be available later in the day and on Sundays. The DASH circulator will operate every 15 minutes Wednesday-Friday 7am-12:00am, Saturday 11am-1am, and Sunday 11am-5pm

We will be sharing more information about the new DASH route + services changes soon. The last day of DASH West and DASH North service will be Saturday, May 6th. The DASH circulator will launch on Wednesday, May 10th.

NEW DASH MAP
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 9:56 AM, grandrollerz said:

Looks like we are revising the DASH routes downtown:

https://www.grandrapidsmi.gov/Government/Departments/Mobile-GR/DASH-the-Downtown-Area-Shuttle#section-2

New DASH Circulator Information

The DASH West and DASH North routes are being consolidated into a single circulator to better serve visitors, residents and anyone trying to get around downtown Grand Rapids. (See preview of the new route below).

This new route will serve new areas of Grand Rapids and connect many downtown and neighborhood destinations. As always the DASH will be completely FREE to ride.

The new service will be now be available later in the day and on Sundays. The DASH circulator will operate every 15 minutes Wednesday-Friday 7am-12:00am, Saturday 11am-1am, and Sunday 11am-5pm

We will be sharing more information about the new DASH route + services changes soon. The last day of DASH West and DASH North service will be Saturday, May 6th. The DASH circulator will launch on Wednesday, May 10th.

NEW DASH MAP

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the downtown business community won't be very happy with this and how long the route has become.  My wife used to work downtown and use DASH lot.  She said this would tick off her and her former coworkers to have to ride this route to get from lot to office.  Will be interesting to see how this goes.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...