Transit Updates for Greater Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

Speaking on behalf of the voters of West Michigan, we'd just like to say that if this train stops at my church, is named on behalf of that wonderful George W. Bush and doesn't require any new taxes, we love the idea.

:rofl:

Brilliant. I can just see the letters to the editor starting to pile up already.

Study link here -- not perfect, but if you want one just catch a ride on a city bus to the Rapid and get yourself a copy. :)

Finally read much of it and I have to say this makes a very compelling case. I'd say this is the best shot Grand Rapids has had of getting a streetcar system started again (again because as the study mentions, GR had a HUGE streetcar system at one time).

The proposed extensions look a lot like the ones we were all kicking around a little over a year ago.

Interestingly, none of the media outlets in town have reported on this yet. Nice job Rizzo!

Interestingly, none of the media outlets in town have reported on this yet. Nice job Rizzo!

FYI

I stopped by The Rapid tonight after work to pick up a hard copy. They didn't have any that they could distribute to the public yet. I gave them my information and they said they would contact me when they have copies ready to hand out.

FYI

I stopped by The Rapid tonight after work to pick up a hard copy. They didn't have any that they could distribute to the public yet. I gave them my information and they said they would contact me when they have copies ready to hand out.

Well we'll just keep this between us then. :P

Speaking on behalf of the voters of West Michigan, we'd just like to say that if this train stops at my church, is named on behalf of that wonderful George W. Bush and doesn't require any new taxes, we love the idea.

FYI - There are Christians, who are Republicans, and are against taxes on everything that are for this project. Me being one of them. Can we please leave religion and personal politics out of this? I'm not trying to start something and I don't want an argument. I just want to ensure that the discussion is enjoyable for everyone. Thanks.

Anyway...why have none of the major news medias picked this up? :dontknow:

Edited by j3shafer

Thanks for posting the report Rizzo! I had a chance to go through it tonight and I wanted to post my very random thoughts and the questions that accompany them.

2012 kept being referred to as the first year of operation. Is that a doable? Optimistic or pessimistic?

I don

FYI - There are Christians, who are Republicans, and are against taxes on everything that are for this project. Me being one of them. Can we please leave religion and personal politics out of this? I'm not trying to start something and I don't want an argument. I just want to ensure that the discussion is enjoyable for everyone. Thanks.

Agreed. A post like that has no place on this forum.

Edited by Par75

Agreed. A post like that has no place on this forum.

You have to admit, there are people in Grand Rapids who do vote on issues specifically along those lines.

But you're right, moving on.

I'm curious to hear a formal report on this from ITP, and what their next steps are.

You have to admit, there are people in Grand Rapids who do vote on issues specifically along those lines.

I'm curious to hear a formal report on this from ITP, and what their next steps are.

Whoops, stepped in it that time. All in good fun, all in good fun. No offense intended. Simply using humor to illustrate the ridiculousness of stereoptypes. However, I respectfully retract my remark and apologize to any and all that may have been offended. :hi:

On a note that shouldn't offend anyone who cheers for the success of downtown GR, check out this article. This could be good news for condos like the Fitzgerald, River House and neighborhoods like Belknap, Heritage Hill, the southwest side, etc. Also, check out the blurb on commuter rail on the second page.

BUSINESS {sodEmoji.|} June 25, 2008

Rethinking the Country Life as Energy Costs Rise

By PETER S. GOODMAN

Skyrocketing energy prices are inflating the costs of living on the distant edges of metropolitan areas.

FYI

I apologize for that. It was conveyed to me that it was available at the station.

Some of the major support for transit in Greater Grand Rapids are the Christian institutions. Anyone interested in how religion and transit go hand in hand should talk to Faith in Motion of Greater GR. I think your not seeing this in the media just yet, because the report I have floated to all of you is technically the "draft" although I don't anticipate any major revisions by ITP or DMJM Harris.

It was recommended by other committee boards. I have attached the memo from Peter Varga concerning the Governance Committee for you to view. It recommends formal acceptance by other review boards. streetcarstudy_recommendation.pdf

Yesterday the board voted on this study to formally accept or deny. I'll get you the information today or tomorrow as how they voted.

Whoops, stepped in it that time. All in good fun, all in good fun. No offense intended. Simply using humor to illustrate the ridiculousness of stereoptypes. However, I respectfully retract my remark and apologize to any and all that may have been offended. :hi:

On a note that shouldn't offend anyone who cheers for the success of downtown GR, check out this article. This could be good news for condos like the Fitzgerald, River House and neighborhoods like Belknap, Heritage Hill, the southwest side, etc. Also, check out the blurb on commuter rail on the second page.

BUSINESS {sodEmoji.|} June 25, 2008

Rethinking the Country Life as Energy Costs Rise

By PETER S. GOODMAN

Skyrocketing energy prices are inflating the costs of living on the distant edges of metropolitan areas.

No biggie man.

I apologize for that. It was conveyed to me that it was available at the station.

Rizzo, No problem. I think they were just surprised that I had showed up at the front desk. I think they won't have any to hand out until after it is approved. That way it won't have "Draft" stamped over it. :thumbsup:

Yesterday's vote to accept the study was favored by all present members: Charis Austin, Bing Goei, George Heartwell, Jack Hoffman, Don Lawless, Rick Morris, Barb VanDuren, Rob VerHeulen, and Jim White. Next stop will be the Strategic Planning Committee where more input and analysis will determine what will be next.

Here's an articles that's posted on detroityes about a transit funding bill making its way through the state legislature.

http://crainsdetroit.com/article/20080623/SUB/806230336

A bill starting to move through the Capitol could provide a piece of the puzzle needed to push forward new mass transit in Southeast Michigan and other parts of the state.

The measure, sponsored by longtime transit advocate Rep. Marie Donigan, D-Royal Oak, would allow Michigan's tax increment financing law to be used to establish

I'm currently listening to a report on WGVU's Newshour on the streetcar line. Although, it didn't really say too much. The feasibility study results were positive, they are moving forward to the next step of allocating some funding to finding funding for the project, and businesses aren't making any investment commitments until the line is actually set. Also mentioned again that they are hoping to have the BRT done by 2012. When is the deadline for the legislature to allocate the $8mil in matching funds we need to get the federal funding that will actually make this happen?

Also...

Heads up, The Rapid has been in contact with Google. I can't give an exact date to expect the whole thing to be completed, as they are currently working out the technical kinks.

What's the status on the GR Google Transit site? That was April. This is July. Any progress Rizzo?

Also mentioned again that they are hoping to have the BRT done by 2012.

2012? I know these things take a while, but they have been talking about the BRT since I moved here two years ago and probably longer then that. It seems like a BRT is much simpler then streetcars so I was hoping I'd see the BRT within the next two years.

Sigh, I'm an impatient person.

• 2 weeks later...

2012? I know these things take a while, but they have been talking about the BRT since I moved here two years ago and probably longer then that. It seems like a BRT is much simpler then streetcars so I was hoping I'd see the BRT within the next two years.

Sigh, I'm an impatient person.

I think the 2012 is a conservative number. But if you think about it, if it starts next year in 2009, it's going to be almost like rebuilding 10 miles of city streets in some way or another. That takes a while.

Speaking of the BRT, the Grand Valley Metro Council is turning its attention to land use around 280 acres situated near 54th and 60th Streets and Division Ave for possible TODs.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

In other news, the Business Journal and WZZM covered the board meeting discussing the streetcar feasibility study.

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/ArticleArchive/20...n+WZZM+News.htm

Several of the board members again raised concerns about the proposed route (probably because it doesn't serve Medical Mile). Since DMJM Harris is coming out against putting streetcars on Michigan Hill due to ice and snow in the winter, has there been consideration of adding some kind of heating element to the streetcar track to reduce slippage? Last I heard, steel and iron very easily conduct heat. Just attach some heating elements to the underside and VOILA! clear tracks.

Rebuilding the street? :shok: I thought it involved painting bus symbols in lanes and putting up signs! :lol:

See if the streetcar builders can install rack-and-pinion gears so that the train can make it up. Typically these are called cog railroads. I believe the JBZ funicular may utilize this concept for the hill. Like your previous proposal of before Dad, access to Medical Mile via Bostwick. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rizzo