Transit Updates for Greater Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

Board Approves Millage Request for May 5, 2009

The 0.16 increase on the May ballot will be to support the operation of the bus rapid transit project, now formally named the Silver Line. The millage will first be collected in 2012 when the line is expected to open. At a rate of 0.16 mills, the owner of a $150,000 house would have to pay an additional $12 per year to support operation of the Silver Line.

I believe this is final stage for getting the finances for the BRT Silver Line, so they should be able to start construction soon after the election on May 5th.

What do you think of the name "Silver Line"?

~John

I'm indifferent on the name, although I'd be curious how they decided on it.

Online magazine Grist is reporting that an amendment to the economic stimulus was passed in the House of Rep. today to add an additional $3 billion in transit funds. $1.5 billion to the capital funding and $1.5 billion to the New Starts program.

This could be great news in jump starting the BRT and the proposed streetcar.

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2009/1/28/142844/134

Even better for these projects could be this:

Rep. James Oberstar, the chair of the Transportation and Infrastructure Comittee, is also pushing for an amendment that would mandate that funds for aviation, highway, rail, and transit come with a "use-it-or-lose-it" provisions, requiring that 50 percent of the funds be obligated within 90 days.

OpenCongress has a complete list of the amendments to be considered.

UPDATE: Oberstar's amendment passed.

If half of the money has to be spent right away, it could give projects that are already a ways along in the planning stages an advantage in obtaining funding and getting built faster.

Also, the Silver Line is already on Facebook. You can become a fan!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grand-Rapids...pid/61108198218

Even better for these projects could be this:

If half of the money has to be spent right away, it could give projects that are already a ways along in the planning stages an advantage in obtaining funding and getting built faster.

I got a call today from a "client" that has a highway project partially designed with a current Federal allocation of $1.5 mil. That's not enough to complete the project. He was asked if he was given $2.1 mil more, was it enough and could he get it under contract this year?

uhm no that is just a merger of a highway but I am sure its outside of LA. I know that 405 was expanded and looks very similar to what is shown in that picture. Most of the highways around LA are 5 lanes each direction. On google earth 405 has about 3 more lanes being added on each side of the highway. I am pretty sure that is near the I 5 merger or someplace else on 405. I could be mistaken but it is LA.

uhm no that is just a merger of a highway but I am sure its outside of LA. I know that 405 was expanded and looks very similar to what is shown in that picture. Most of the highways around LA are 5 lanes each direction. On google earth 405 has about 3 more lanes being added on each side of the highway. I am pretty sure that is near the I 5 merger or someplace else on 405. I could be mistaken but it is LA.

I'm not saying it's not based on a real photo, but it's pretty obviously faked. In the distance there's something weird going on where a few lanes just disappear. In the foreground you can see where the same car appears a few lanes over.

Interesting article comparing BRT & LRT...

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/009395.html

What's the smarter solution for bringing mobility to 21st century cities: bus rapid transit (BRT) or light rail? With questions this big, it's important to consider all the perspectives.

A team of researchers at the World Resources Institute (WRI) recently produced a report that goes against the grain. WRI analyzed and compared BRT and light rail as two options for Maryland's Purple Line Project, a 16-mile transit corridor that will connect the D.C. suburbs. In January, the Institute came down in favor of BRT, with a statement announcing that "enhanced buses ... would cost less, offer similar services, and fight global warming better than light-rail cars."

As long as the BRT is implemented with the dedicated lane with traffic signal priority for virtually the entire route, I don't have a strong opinion compared to LRT. It becomes a problem when you compromise on those aspects and it starts looking more like a typical bus.

Edited by francishsu

Rapid CEO, Peter Varga, was featured in The Review, Michigan Municipal League's magazine. In it he mentions needed support for transit through master planning and local funding.

Speaking of local funding, as you may know The Rapid is going to ask for a millage increase (.16) for the BRT project. The organization Friends of Transit is gearing up for the May 5 vote. By gearing up I mean a website plus a Twitter and Facebook presence.

It's going to be an uphill battle. I have to wonder the effectiveness of having to keep coming back to these millage requests for individual routes. Perhaps the Feds would be less likely to fund any other projects in the future if there is a no vote. To come all this way and see a no vote really could put things into perspective.

Edited by Rizzo

• 2 weeks later...

What would a high speed rail between Detroit and Chicago do for Grand Rapids or West Michigan?

~John

The map on the Midwest High Speed Rail Initiative website has a spur running up to Grand Rapids from Kalamazoo and also has the Pere Marquette route. I hope the intent would be to serve Grand Rapids and West Michigan as well.

http://www.midwesthsr.org/promote_Strong.htm

Speaking of local funding, as you may know The Rapid is going to ask for a millage increase (.16) for the BRT project. The organization Friends of Transit is gearing up for the May 5 vote. By gearing up I mean a website plus a Twitter and Facebook presence.

It's going to be an uphill battle. I have to wonder the effectiveness of having to keep coming back to these millage requests for individual routes. Perhaps the Feds would be less likely to fund any other projects in the future if there is a no vote. To come all this way and see a no vote really could put things into perspective.

Rizzo:

IMHO, area wide millage's need to benefit the area wide system ie more frequent service, longer hours system wide. Why should folks in Walker, EGR and Grandville fund an improvement that only benefits GR, Kentwood & Wyoming. Let a TIF in those cities pay for it or they can vote in a millage. If it's such a sure fire winner for generating development, why does it need federal funds?

The newest and most modern mass transit in Michigan: the tram in the Northwest Terminal of the newly remodeled DTW airport. It's actually pretty slick, and covers the distance of the (1 mile long?) terminal pretty quickly.

Might be old news for some, but it's the first time I've seen it.

The "singing wall" in the underground tunnel that links the Northwest terminal with the main terminal is quite a sight to see as well.

Rizzo:

IMHO, area wide millage's need to benefit the area wide system ie more frequent service, longer hours system wide. Why should folks in Walker, EGR and Grandville fund an improvement that only benefits GR, Kentwood & Wyoming. Let a TIF in those cities pay for it or they can vote in a millage. If it's such a sure fire winner for generating development, why does it need federal funds?

That's what the folks running the campaign for the ballot measure will have to address. I suppose detail will be paid to the $400 million spin off investment and jobs projected by The Rapid.

The problem is the community has to gamble local money, time and energy to leverage the Federal Government and its hurdles. No one is saying that. Everyone says its just another key to unlock until we get that modern transit system everyone has envisioned. One step at a time, right?

I have a much different strategy.

Edited by Rizzo

I can't remember if anyone has posted this yet, but the City of GR has a survey regarding regional transit on their site:

http://www.grcity.us/index.pl?page_id=7515...;article_id=482

If you're interested in intra-city transit, now's a good time to make your thoughts known.

I just got an email with the subject heading 'Moving beyond the shovel-ready'. It's from a Washington D.C.-based 0rganization called 'Transportation for America' that today unveiled an ambitious campaign, the details of which are available in a pdf on their website, t4america.org

The email announces a 'big, bold, transformational' platform for a "21st Century transportation system were cyclists and pedestrians are safer, trains are faster and cleaner, public transportation widely available and efficient, roads and bridges are in god repair and Americans everywhere reap the rewards of a world-class infrastructure."

First of all, what a hypocrite! Regardless of your political affiliation, that was truly moronic. If he stood for his principals of fiscal responsibility, then he wouldn't have added those earmarks, no matter how beneficial. He is also playing a political game inwhich he hopes that we will forget his added earmarks so that he can say he voted against more spending (or at least the bulk of it) but still benefit from those earmarks since the bill passed.

This means that there is now funding for a new Amtrak station right? I almost hope they name it the "Ehlers Grand Rapids Station."

It looks like in the recent Washington spending bill, Vern Ehlers requested $3.8 Million to begin moving the Amtrak station over to the Rapid Central Station area.

Even though Ehlers voted against the bill, it passed.