Transit Updates for Greater Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

You have to remember that those earmarks were supposed to be for smaller projects but what happens anytime somebody opens the taps, well it becomes huge overspending. What the GOP leadership said, was hey this is not what we signed on for when it comes to these earmarks. They told the legistures to vote agianst it. Most of them did so, even though they did bring to the table a few smaller projects. See the thing is providing small projects. When you figure you want something like 40 billion at most for the bill, and it goes to 500 billion it uhm becomes umanageable.

You have to remember that those earmarks were supposed to be for smaller projects but what happens anytime somebody opens the taps, well it becomes huge overspending. What the GOP leadership said, was hey this is not what we signed on for when it comes to these earmarks. They told the legistures to vote agianst it. Most of them did so, even though they did bring to the table a few smaller projects. See the thing is providing small projects. When you figure you want something like 40 billion at most for the bill, and it goes to 500 billion it uhm becomes umanageable.

The whole thing is this war against "earmarks" and "pork" is bogus. There are projects at the local level that deserve Federal funding. Do we just send all of our tax dollars to Washington to pay for defense spending or other Federal programs? Republicans need to drop this charade. They're not fooling anyone.

oh dont tell me that, I was all for the stimulus if the dems could get it right, they didnt. But as for this bill, I feel if you through in your project and then decide after you do so that everybody else throws in theres and you do not ask first, whats the limit, it becomes an issue. From what I read, the bill was voted down because it got too large. Nowheres did I hear the GOP say well we were told to only put in projects under such an amount. So thats why I do think they were wrong in the first place to even think about putting projects in there. Of course its always a nice thing to say, well I knew it was going to pass, but I thought I just throw in a local project to just have one even though I would never vote for the bill.

First of all, what a hypocrite! Regardless of your political affiliation, that was truly moronic. If he stood for his principals of fiscal responsibility, then he wouldn't have added those earmarks, no matter how beneficial. He is also playing a political game inwhich he hopes that we will forget his added earmarks so that he can say he voted against more spending (or at least the bulk of it) but still benefit from those earmarks since the bill passed.

This means that there is now funding for a new Amtrak station right? I almost hope they name it the "Ehlers Grand Rapids Station."

I think that it's brilliant. He turns the bill into a win-win situation. He opposeses it and so votes against it. if it fails to pass then he succeeded. but if it passes then at least his district gets a 3.8 million dollar upgrade. sounds like a shrewd move (I am personally against these kind of earmarks but if they were to benefit me then I guess I'll let them slide).

The whole thing is this war against "earmarks" and "pork" is bogus. There are projects at the local level that deserve Federal funding. Do we just send all of our tax dollars to Washington to pay for defense spending or other Federal programs? Republicans need to drop this charade. They're not fooling anyone.

I think that the constant flow of pork projects needs to stop. as for sending all of our tax dollars to washington and getting nothing in return, I'd like to see less dollars getting sent to washington. I also would like to see meaningful progress made on cutting the federal debt (not just the deficit).

I think that the constant flow of pork projects needs to stop. as for sending all of our tax dollars to washington and getting nothing in return, I'd like to see less dollars getting sent to washington. I also would like to see meaningful progress made on cutting the federal debt (not just the deficit).

I don't know. I just did our taxes and for a middle class family with 3 kids, I think our "effective tax rate" after credits and itemized deductions came out to less than 5%. I'm probably alone in this, but I'm surprised the Feds can survive on 5% of our income (and I imagine we're not alone in our effective tax rate).

I don't know. I just did our taxes and for a middle class family with 3 kids, I think our "effective tax rate" after credits and itemized deductions came out to less than 5%. I'm probably alone in this, but I'm surprised the Feds can survive on 5% of our income (and I imagine we're not alone in our effective tax rate).

Okay I just have to respond to this one. First of all, income tax is against OUR CONSTITUTION. Second of all, the Federal Reserve (haha on the name) is against OUR CONSTITUTION. Third of all, there should be 0% income tax. The Federal Government can be supported without income tax. How was it supported before they started stealing our money with an income tax?

~John

uhm john, I hate to say this but you wrong on this. the taxation by direct means was passed by the states back in the 1910's. Before it could only be done by indirect means. That is itself means that the income tax is lawful so do not bring that up. I had to put two people away to federal prison because they had that same lame a$$ excuse. The consitution is a living document that means it can be changed at times. The method is in the consititution. I have read that thing multiple times so please dont fight a battle that you will lose. As for what they did before the income tax they did a tax by head count. As a result it was flat tax plus they also put a tarriff on certian products. The problem is that I think they should go to a property tax method instead of an income tax method. BTW a property tax would also require a Direct Tax admendment since you are doing taxation by direct means than indirect.

uhm john, I hate to say this but you wrong on this. the taxation by direct means was passed by the states back in the 1910's. Before it could only be done by indirect means. That is itself means that the income tax is lawful so do not bring that up. I had to put two people away to federal prison because they had that same lame a$$ excuse. The consitution is a living document that means it can be changed at times. The method is in the consititution. I have read that thing multiple times so please dont fight a battle that you will lose. As for what they did before the income tax they did a tax by head count. As a result it was flat tax plus they also put a tarriff on certian products. The problem is that I think they should go to a property tax method instead of an income tax method. BTW a property tax would also require a Direct Tax admendment since you are doing taxation by direct means than indirect.

I could go on and on about this matter but it is off topic and I have been trying real hard to not get into debates here.

~John

A couple of weeks ago there was a good feature on NOW on PBS talking about funding of mass transit through the stimulus package and some of the roadblocks that it faces by using the traditional methods of transportation funding distribution.

The story focuses on North Carolina, Charlotte's Lynx in particular. I thought it was pretty well done and you can stream the whole thing in high quality video. It does have sort of a PBS vibe, but is way more detailed than most news stories I've seen addressing mass transit.

http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/507/index.html

Edited by fotoman311

Here's something for everyone to pipe in on.

They've put up a survey at www.westmichigantransitsurvey.info regarding a new regional transit system linking Ottawa, Kent and Muskegon Counties. It didn't take very long to fill out (and supposedly you're entered to win a $25 gift card). It will be interesting to see what everyone thinks about that.

Timize,

Thank you for the article link.

This was in the plans from the beginning with choosing the current location for the Rapid. It's just taken this long to get the funds to do it.

And now with "The New Obama World" it is going to happen. May King Obama and Queen Granholm live forever. We are no longer the United States but are now the United World. May the "New World Order" live forever.

Okay with joking aside, I am glad that it is finally happening, I'm just extremely concerned with the direction this world is heading.

I'm sure the millage will pass and we will be getting the Silver Line. It sure will be an improvement just as the Rapid has been from the time it was formed from GRATA. When I first came here to Grand Rapids the bus system under GRATA was, in a word - disgusting. The improvements with the Rapid have been astounding and MUCH needed as the continually increasing ridership shows.

I'm still not convinced that a light rail system is needed or will be actually useful. I think having multiple Silver Lines would provide the needs. Rather than a light rail system, I would like to see bullet trains to get people to other cities and states. But in reality I don't think that "they" will let bullet trains run over the airline system because they need to keep their chem-trails going to make clouds and control the weather.

Just a reality check!

~John

BTW I still dont like the name silver line. I was going through the Big Dig project in my usual learning process I go through each day on Wiki. In anycase i found out that the name is already being used by the Boston Transit for thier BRT line. Why are we copying their name?

BTW I still dont like the name silver line. I was going through the Big Dig project in my usual learning process I go through each day on Wiki. In anycase i found out that the name is already being used by the Boston Transit for thier BRT line. Why are we copying their name?

I don't know that this matters. I've ridden on the Red Line to get to northern Chicago. Then, last week, I rode on the Red Line to get to Bethesda, MD. Should Washington, DC be rethinking their color scheme? Mauve? Maroon?

Edited by fotoman311

Should the Rapid do a name search nationwide (worldwide) to make sure they pick a name that hasn't been used?

...I'm still not convinced that a light rail system is needed or will be actually useful. I think having multiple Silver Lines would provide the needs. Rather than a light rail system, I would like to see bullet trains to get people to other cities and states. But in reality I don't think that "they" will let bullet trains run over the airline system because they need to keep their chem-trails going to make clouds and control the weather....

When I was a kid (dinosaurs roamed the earth) there was an oft-heard PSA. "Be careful returning from a trip; most accidents occur within 25 miles of your home."

Of course they do. Most folks operate within a fairly small radius. (My workplace is about ten miles away, and although I am now driving to Detroit one day a week, that is the exception.)

My point is this: Providing long-distance, inter-urban transportation service is a nice idea. But it's not nearly as useful as intra-urban, shorter distance transit. Adding linear transit routes to link common destinations is the way to build transit nodes, urban density, and a broader network of public transportation.

HTH

(urban planner by training and intent)

Timize,

Thank you for the article link.

This was in the plans from the beginning with choosing the current location for the Rapid. It's just taken this long to get the funds to do it.

And now with "The New Obama World" it is going to happen. May King Obama and Queen Granholm live forever. We are no longer the United States but are now the United World. May the "New World Order" live forever.

Okay with joking aside, I am glad that it is finally happening, I'm just extremely concerned with the direction this world is heading.

I'm sure the millage will pass and we will be getting the Silver Line. It sure will be an improvement just as the Rapid has been from the time it was formed from GRATA. When I first came here to Grand Rapids the bus system under GRATA was, in a word - disgusting. The improvements with the Rapid have been astounding and MUCH needed as the continually increasing ridership shows.

I'm still not convinced that a light rail system is needed or will be actually useful. I think having multiple Silver Lines would provide the needs. Rather than a light rail system, I would like to see bullet trains to get people to other cities and states. But in reality I don't think that "they" will let bullet trains run over the airline system because they need to keep their chem-trails going to make clouds and control the weather.

Just a reality check!

~John

I understand you don't take the trolley to make believe.

Check with the GT2 and see what their eventual goal for Division Avenue is. You might be dismayed.

Should the Rapid do a name search nationwide (worldwide) to make sure they pick a name that hasn't been used?

Yeah, but consider the only other Silver Line BRT in the country and the history of that project -- maybe not such a great name choice. This is no way a criticism or correlation to the Silver Line in Grand Rapids. You're right though.

When I was a kid (dinosaurs roamed the earth) there was an oft-heard PSA. "Be careful returning from a trip; most accidents occur within 25 miles of your home."

Of course they do. Most folks operate within a fairly small radius. (My workplace is about ten miles away, and although I am now driving to Detroit one day a week, that is the exception.)

My point is this: Providing long-distance, inter-urban transportation service is a nice idea. But it's not nearly as useful as intra-urban, shorter distance transit. Adding linear transit routes to link common destinations is the way to build transit nodes, urban density, and a broader network of public transportation.

HTH

:thumbsup: Just awesome!

Edited by Rizzo

HTH

Bump, set, spike! Very well said.

Just awesome!

Bump, set, spike! Very well said.

Awwww... TYVM!!

This is what happens when Big Huge Corp purchases Smaller One, puts all the projects on hold, and the real estate goddess has her feet on the desk for weeks.

Maybe I should go tour the cell tower building.