Transit Updates for Greater Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

Back to transit....

How to Defeat a Millage: How KCFFR and contingent helped to defeat the millage.

A comment to that blog: "a fascinating read with positive action at its core."

Seriously, that game plan could be used for just about any purpose. (Wish those "fair and balanced" reporters had bothered to ask why folks from Cascade cared at all.)

Back to transit....

How to Defeat a Millage: How KCFFR and contingent helped to defeat the millage.

Hopefully Peter Varga read this, so he has a better idea of what he's up against next time... The "Scared and didn't understand it" remark really didn't help the cause well, and he's been getting hammered in the Press public pulse all week.

Edited by RegalTDP

Hopefully Peter Varga read this, so he has a better idea of what he's up against this time... The "Scared and didn't understand it" remark really didn't help the cause well, and he's been getting hammered in the Press public pulse all week.

Yeah, that statement might be appropriate when just addressing your "troops", but not for public consumption.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Varga will talk about the 'next steps' for the Silver Line. Apparently, the feds might keep the money for The Rapid for another go around. Maybe another millage request in 2010.

Plus, at the the board meeting tomorrow (4pm) the Number 17 will be under review. That the route between Ford Intl. and Woodland Mall.

Edited by Rizzo

Peter Varga will talk about the 'next steps' for the Silver Line. Apparently, the feds might keep the money for The Rapid for another go around. Maybe another millage request in 2010.

Plus, at the the board meeting tomorrow (4pm) the Number 17 will be under review. That the route between Ford Intl. and Woodland Mall.

Since the voters turned down the Silver Line, who's to say it any future attempts to put it before the voters again won't result in another 'no' vote? As much as many here including myself think the Silver Line would have been a great addition, the voters clearly think otherwise. Rather its valid points such as Division already has a bus route to big bad government fat cats over taxing us poor little guys, I think the voters will be a brick wall to this and any other mass transit proposals. If the Silver Line is to ever to see the light of day, its going to have to rely on other sources to get approval and funding. This way it not only bypasses the voters and get the project off the ground. It would provide an opportunity to show the voters the benefits of such a system. Once they see that then maybe they would be more receptive of voting for more things like Silver Line.

Edited by tamias6

Since the voters turned down the Silver Line, who's to say it any future attempts to put it before the voters again won't result in another 'no' vote? As much as many here including myself think the Silver Line would have been a great addition, the voters clearly think otherwise. Rather its valid points such as Division already has a bus route to big bad government fat cats over taxing us poor little guys, I think the voters will be a brick wall to this and any other mass transit proposals. If the Silver Line is to ever to see the light of day, its going to have to rely on other sources to get approval and funding. This way it not only bypasses the voters and get the project off the ground. It would provide an opportunity to show the voters the benefits of such a system. Once they see that then maybe they would be more receptive of voting for more things like Silver Line.

The SL should have come up on a major ballot, not a teensy school election one. What was the turn-out, 15% of the electorate? It passed in the urban core; it's the 'burbs who voted it down (and the unaffected opposition out in the townships who raised all the ruckus).

The SL should have come up on a major ballot, not a teensy school election one. What was the turn-out, 15% of the electorate? It passed in the urban core; it's the 'burbs who voted it down (and the unaffected opposition out in the townships who raised all the ruckus).

I would assume it will be presented again as a millage request in the future, with maybe a few changes to it. :dontknow: After working on this since what, 2003 (?), that they'll keep trying.

Sadly, I think it would have been voted down regardless of turnout in the election unless you could have somehow dramatically boosted it in GR without boosting it in the surrounding cities. For the past couple of Rapid millage requests, each has gotten less support than the one prior. It seems that the only mass transit project (assuming it requires an increase in taxes) that will pass is one that would require votes from only GR/EGR. The votes in GR/EGR might be enough where you could possibly include Kentwood and still come out with a majority. But once you throw in Wyoming and Walker, it's over.

Edited by francishsu

I was wondering what was going on in front of Central Station this morning. I believe this has been in the works for a couple years, but don't remember the story behind it. I found the web page for it:

http://www.dennisoppenheim.org/JourneyHome.html

~John

Yes, it was commissioned a few years ago. Looks like it's finally going in>

3573422313_8faf927530.jpg

3573423479_b604e0f775.jpg

Although I don't know if the final version will look exactly like that model.

That looks like a photo of the finished product. It sure looks super cool.

I wonder if it will be able to be entered into the ArtPrize???

I just got back from taking a couple installation photos also:

3573428865_4ba7a59044.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/3573428865/sizes/l/

3573429777_b66e07fbd2_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/3573429777/sizes/l/

~John

I assume there's a lot more assembly to be done, and it probably has to be placed on that pedestal/planter.

Since this work was commissioned specifically for The Rapid, I don't know if it could be entered into Art Prize (although the timing is cool, because I think The Rapid is talking about registering as a venue).

Might end up looking like a larger version of this one of Oppenheim (also called Journey Home):

http://www.hillgallery.com/images/gallery/e_w.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...VMIKFlAf61NS8BQ

I emailed The Rapid asking when the installation would be completed and I received this response from Judy DeVries:

The installers from LaPaloma Fabricators Inc, hope to have our new sculpture installation finished by June 2nd. ITP will then complete the sculpture base with 'plantings' and 'lighting' and 'signage'. Shortly thereafter a date for the dedication ceremony will be announced.

jd

~John

Edited by John E