Innovista | USC-Guignard Plan

krazeeboi

Guys, I don't think it's an understatement to say that this is the proverbial "IT." I mean, a new largest park (something I'd speculated about on here) to complete the greenway, the campus's main street, sculpture garden, etc.--this is the linchpin. If everyone can get on board here (and it really sounds like they will), I'm confident that this may be the one thing that causes to Columbia to reach the next level.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, I don't think it's an understatement to say that this is the proverbial "IT." I mean, a new largest park (something I'd speculated about on here) to complete the greenway, the campus's main street, sculpture garden, etc.--this is the linchpin. If everyone can get on board here (and it really sounds like they will), I'm confident that this may be the one thing that causes to Columbia to reach the next level.

That article is amazing. I sure hope nothing happens to screw it all up. I wish they could start constuction tomorrow. Seems like HUGE projects like this take FOREVER AND EVER to get going. And I'm not a patient guy. (CanalSide, Kline, and Bull Street are driving me nuts!) :)

WOW! This is the proper method of development every city should follow. Hopefully this will happen as planned. Sasaki & Assosiates created a Reedy River Corridor master plan for Greenville about a decade ago, but many of the proposals were not executed. Nonetheless, the overwhelming success of the comparatively small urban Falls Park in Greenville should be a great encouragement to residents and urban enthusiasts in Columbia. Way to go! :shades:

Just looking at the little details now...

There's a "lighthouse" at the southern end of the newly reflooded area of the canal. SWEET! :)

And of course they want to bury the powerlines. Double sweet!

AND... there's a cable ferry going over the Congaree near the Gervais Street Bridge. CRAZY!

These conceptual paintings... Are you kidding me?!?! :)

post-615-1145557065_thumb.jpg

post-615-1145557261_thumb.jpg

post-615-1145557296_thumb.jpg

post-615-1145557521_thumb.jpg

post-615-1145557065_thumb.jpg

post-615-1145557261_thumb.jpg

post-615-1145557296_thumb.jpg

post-615-1145557521_thumb.jpg

:shok:

Those renderings are absolutely INCREDIBLE!

If the past few years are an indication of anything, I have no doubt this will take off sooner than we may think. All of the things that should have taken place in Columbia 15-20 years ago have been materializing within the past 5 years. I can already see Columbia garnering some awards, moving up to the top of certain lists, and becoming the envy of many other cities, even larger ones, especially due to the sheer amount of GREEN SPACE. Absolutely INCREDIBLE.

I'm curious to know how much federal and state money is expected, and where the grants would come from. If every city was afforded such a luxury, this state could be much more competitive with our neighbors. Maybe it is a new beginning for acheiving federal and state money to help build local attractions. I'm all for that. :D

Yeah, funding is the critical thing here, as it always is.

I don't like to rain on parades such as these, but let's inject a dose of realism/constructive criticism here.

So how will this whole thing affect the city's (supposed) commitment to affordable housing throughout the city? If you have the campus surrounded by researchers living in ultra-ritzy condos, the average price tag of housing is bound to skyrocket throughout the city.

Now I know that earlier reports talked about parking garages that have gotten funded, but it seemed as though the report didn't mention any. When planning such large scale projects as this, we must address parking and other transportation options. It really doesn't matter how nice or grand an attraction is (even a huge park), if there's no where to park, folks will get intimidated.

I'm also hoping that the other projects that the city has on the burner at this time don't get neglected or have less attention paid to them. The city still has to finish Main Street and North Main. I know that Huger was mentioned as a candidate for streetscaping as well; I wonder if this comprehensive plan encompasses that as well?

This large-scale project will obviously be completed in phases. Each phase should have been a bit more detailed in the comprehensive plan.

I do like how the baseball stadium is made a central feature of the campus. I also like how the project compared the proposed waterfront park to those in other cities, such as I have been doing in the "Greening of Columbia" thread (I do swear, they must take SOME kind of cues here at UP!).

I knew it was only a matter of time! Those renderings look awesome! I love the way it actually brings people to the river! Definately something to be very proud of keep up the hustle C-lum!

Okay I just saw the slide show renderings of the two districts I had know idea how large innovista was poised to be! The two districts blend in so well with each other if the city can stay on pace with this kinda density hey light rail may not be such a far off notion.

Also did you guys see the huge waterfountain in the waterrfront district finally! This is really exciting stuff it looks as if Columbia is starting to shape itself into a vibrant 24hour city! Imagine what the Vista and main st. will look like in these years to come! The city may take on a whole new flair that's unrecognizeable, can't wait!

BTW, have you guys read any of the comments that were posted in response to the article? Scroll to the bottom, and you'll see how many naysayers there are in the crowd. Some do make some significant points, but the unbelievers really get on my nerves. If these folks want a mediocre city, many choices abound. Finally, Columbia is not among them!

These plans are very impressive, and everything that Sasaki has done (that I have seen) is first class. No doubt we would all like to see this come about.

But I have seen beautiful renderings and projects come and go, not just in Columbia but other cities too. This is an extremely ambitious and expensive plan. It can come about, but it will require Columbia to accomplish things that have proven difficult in the past.

For starters the Mayor will have to fight tooth and nail for it. He must counter the naysayers, he must put his popularity on the line, he must convince the city and county councils and school board to get on board.

When I say The mayor, I mean Coble and anyone that follows him for the next 15-20 years, because it will take that long.

The first battle royale will be extending the Congareee Vista TIF. If you think that will be easy, please refer to the article in today's State newspaper. With this costing over $100 mm, there is no way to leave out the $70mm that this would bring.

Remember that while the city will be trying to pull this off, Bull Street, Main St. and North Main St. will all be looking for funding too. The Vista has been funded since the late 1970's, some will say enough is enough and want to turn off the pipeline of city funds.

Federal funding and state funding are options, but they will only go so far. SC can't break the bank to fund this, without doing the same for Chas. and Greenville. That is too expensive and is not going to happen.

President Sorenson and anyone else at the USC helm will have to be totally committed as well. That isn't that far-fetched in my opinion.

Remember it took Canalside 11 years to get to GROUNDBREAKING. For this vision to become reality in 20 years, the pace is going to have to pick up considerably. I sincerely hope that Columbia can pull it off.

These plans are very impressive, and everything that Sasaki has done (that I have seen) is first class. No doubt we would all like to see this come about.

But I have seen beautiful renderings and projects come and go, not just in Columbia but other cities too. This is an extremely ambitious and expensive plan. It can come about, but it will require Columbia to accomplish things that have proven difficult in the past.

For starters the Mayor will have to fight tooth and nail for it. He must counter the naysayers, he must put his popularity on the line, he must convince the city and county councils and school board to get on board.

When I say The mayor, I mean Coble and anyone that follows him for the next 15-20 years, because it will take that long.

The first battle royale will be extending the Congareee Vista TIF. If you think that will be easy, please refer to the article in today's State newspaper. With this costing over $100 mm, there is no way to leave out the $70mm that this would bring.

Remember that while the city will be trying to pull this off, Bull Street, Main St. and North Main St. will all be looking for funding too. The Vista has been funded since the late 1970's, some will say enough is enough and want to turn off the pipeline of city funds.

Federal funding and state funding are options, but they will only go so far. SC can't break the bank to fund this, without doing the same for Chas. and Greenville. That is too expensive and is not going to happen.

President Sorenson and anyone else at the USC helm will have to be totally committed as well. That isn't that far-fetched in my opinion.

Remember it took Canalside 11 years to get to GROUNDBREAKING. For this vision to become reality in 20 years, the pace is going to have to pick up considerably. I sincerely hope that Columbia can pull it off.

You're correct, it will take years and years, but we're all forgetting that groundbreaking has ALREADY happened on this project, even though the masterplan was just revealed today. Included in this whole project are all of the Innovista buildings (some under construction, and some nearly finished), the USC riverfront baseball stadium (construction starts in about 5 months), and CanalSide (constuction will start in a few weeks), Kline, Riverfront Park, 3 Rivers Greenway, etc. So I don't think we can say that "groudbreaking" on this whole thing is WAY off...it's already happened. Of course the changes that make the biggest difference may be way off...such as the infrastruture and the new park, but progress towards this happening is underway. Now how much of the plan actually happens is the part that we don't know yet, and the part that will take millions and millions of dollars.

Bry is absolutely correct; the project is already underway and many other projects are about to begin. The Arnold School of Public Health is almost finished, the Horizon Block is under construction, the Greek Village is nearing completion, the baseball stadium, as Bry said, Adesso, etc. As far as the naysayers, I think we would find that most of them don't live in the city of Columbia. I personally heard no naysayers at work today.

Affordable housing: gosh all of us want it, but how realistic is it? Has any city been truly successful at creating "affordable" housing on any major scale in a prime location? I make a pretty decent salary, but I can't afford any of the expensive condos being built. It would help if I had a second household income. Although I may not be able to live in the primest location, I can still enjoy all that these developments will offer and continue to live a couple of miles away.

Vic, I think the point you made about extending the TIF is a good one. Not sure exactly how that's going to turn out, especially since it seems like just about every other area in Columbia has been wanting one as well.

But I truly do believe momentum is on Columbia's side. Just think, right now, many things that were in the works or tangled in red tape are finally blossoming. The developers of CanalSide closed recently, so you can expect dirt to be turned within a week or two. The convention center hotel is finally under construction. The convention center itself is only about 3 years old, and after having been talked about for YEARS (since the 70's I believe), it finally stands. About 3 years ago, who would have known that the city would boast two additional towers? The Colonial Center is a recent accomplishment as well. I think these plans were released at the right time (and strategically so, as the International Downtown Association meeting will take place in the city this weekend). But I agree with you concerning Coble as well; personally, I think a development of this magnitude is all the more reason why Columbia deserves and NEEDS a full-time, strong mayor.

And as for affordable housing, I didn't mean that Innovista itself should have set-asides for affordable housing; I'm more than certain that this will not be the case. Rather, I'm concerned as to what it will mean for affordable housing in other locations throughout and close to downtown.

Also it seems as though the university will be intent on keeping the Coliseum intact, since it is present in the rendering above.

Have any of you guys viewed the video? Good stuff.

The innovation district is pictured below. What's the water feature to be located behind the convention center?

innovationdistrict.gif

I think that land should be reserved for expansion purposes for the convention center. I can just see Columbia landing more conventions when downtown gets overhauled with riverfront access, and saving room for expansion would be necessary.

Man alive, the one day I don't look at the State this happens! And its 1am, and I haven't the time to say everything I want to.

First of all, this is extremely exciting. I really enjoy seeing the visuals to compliment the plan. I like pretty much everything I see- even the saved Colisuem! I have always wanted Greene St to be restored accross the tracks, but I never invisioned anything like this.

Did anyone notice the Blossom St bridge in that video? How about the baseball staidum looking towards the skyline. This is truely amazing stuff here. If only half of it comes to fruition, Columbia will be an entirely different place.

Please note that due to the newness and grandeur of this plan, I'm going to give it its own thread.

Archived