Innovista | USC-Guignard Plan

krazeeboi

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I see the NC State building designs as being a bit boring and easily becoming and antiquated design. -_- It reminds me of some of the dorms that were at my college that were built in the 80's, and no one wanted to be in the. Everyone thought the design was great then, but the simple straight line became really boring, unlike many of the older buildings that have timeless design.

I also hope that Downtown Columbia doesn't simply become Downtown USC! I appreciate the schools assistance and drive, but I'd hate for the ciry become nothing more than USC and the Statehouse. <_<

Overall I like the concept of the plan, and I am glad that there is some light being shined on the Olympia Area (all that past the Blossom street that isn't already USC). I would like to see taller buildings, variety in designs, more dramatic and ground breaking designs, and a cohesiveness with the rest of the city (no sense in having just part of the city being extra beautiful, green, and planned. It would be great :shades: to see a structure that is so unique that it becomes reconizable to the world as Columbia (what the empire state does for NY, the St. Louis Arch, BoA Charlotte, Space Needle in Seatle, Rainbow Row in Charleston).

Columbia is ready and past due for a "Spit Shine!" I just hope the right color wax is used.

Thank you both for fortifying my point in the positives/negatives thread. USC is not always a strength for the City of Columbia. Many are left out of the loop simply because of the city's extremely close affiliation with the school. That is not always a good thing, to myself at least. :(

Remember, Innovista is a public-private venture. Sure USC has a hand in this, but so will private institutions. Furthermore, aside from this, the great majority of projects going on in DT Columbia (or just recently completed) had nothing to do with USC, including the Meridian tower, First Citizens tower, the convention center, the convention center Hilton, CanalSide, Kline Steel development, Renaissance Plaza, 1520 Main, 1556 Main, Bull Street project, etc. I think as the city itself continues to grow, USC's influence won't seem so out of proportion. A nice 25-30 story tower or two would help with that. shades.gif

Thank you both for fortifying my point in the positives/negatives thread. USC is not always a strength for the City of Columbia. Many are left out of the loop simply because of the city's extremely close affiliation with the school. That is not always a good thing, to myself at least. :(

As far as this particular plan is concerned, I see no negatives AT ALL; as a matter of fact, it is because the university is playing such a pivotal role (alone with private developers) and the city's role is somewhat minimal, we can expect to see great progress here. Innovista is a public-private venture. The university isn't going at this alone. If any city can capitalize on the presence of a university to create awesome access to the riverfront and grand open spaces, more power to them. This plan will make Columbia the envy of many other cities. Even if one doesn't work at or attend the university, the city as a whole will certainly benefit. Look at what UT has done for Austin, and while the university plays a great role in the city, Austin is still its own city (at over 600K in population). Give this plan a couple of years, and you'll see how it will contribute immensely to the development of Columbia as a city. Many other cities would kill to have what Columbia does in this regard. Even Greenville realizes the benefit of the presence of a major university downtown, with ICAR and other plans for Clemson to have a presence in DT Greenville.

Well I see the NC State building designs as being a bit boring and easily becoming and antiquated design. -_- It reminds me of some of the dorms that were at my college that were built in the 80's, and no one wanted to be in the. Everyone thought the design was great then, but the simple straight line became really boring, unlike many of the older buildings that have timeless design.

I also hope that Downtown Columbia doesn't simply become Downtown USC! I appreciate the schools assistance and drive, but I'd hate for the ciry become nothing more than USC and the Statehouse. <_<

Overall I like the concept of the plan, and I am glad that there is some light being shined on the Olympia Area (all that past the Blossom street that isn't already USC). I would like to see taller buildings, variety in designs, more dramatic and ground breaking designs, and a cohesiveness with the rest of the city (no sense in having just part of the city being extra beautiful, green, and planned. It would be great :shades: to see a structure that is so unique that it becomes reconizable to the world as Columbia (what the empire state does for NY, the St. Louis Arch, BoA Charlotte, Space Needle in Seatle, Rainbow Row in Charleston).

Columbia is ready and past due for a "Spit Shine!" I just hope the right color wax is used.

The properties are remaining private. USC is only guiding development, a fitting role for a 21st century institution of higher learning, given the sprawl that has been consuming our planet.

^Another great point, CorgiMatt. USC is learning from other places like RTP in NC, which is a sprawling, glorified office park with virtually no sense of urbanity. So do we move USC's research campus out to the outer fringes of suburbia so it doesn't feel like "USC is taking over Columbia"? Or do we allow the institution to capitalize on the fact that Columbia has LOTS of undeveloped property downtown, a lot of the land is privately owned, and that the property-holding group is more than willing to work with the university AND the city to develop it to the benefit of the university, the citizens of the region, and the state as a whole? Seems like a simple choice to me. Imagine if RTP were incorporated into the city of Raleigh. The city would have a much stronger core and the region would be much less decentralized than it is today, and the city could very well have been on the level of Charlotte today (as it regards population and urban development). Columbia and USC are doing everything right when it comes to this, and mitigating sprawl is a BIGGIE here.

USC isn't taking over Columbia? I mean yeah we hear about all the events that are going on in the "news", but Columbia was still Columbia before USC became this extremly new catalyst of growth we are now seeing, and still my question is if USC is the vessel used to take Columbia to the next level what's wrong with that? Austin, Raleigh-Durham used the exact same model when those two cities were approximately Columbia's size 10-15-20 years ago (RDU even longer) but my point is use what you have. Charlotte road the banking wave, did people heckle them when they brushed themselves off? Infact when this idea of public/private venture took off a few years ago (2002) both Columbia and USC leaders intentionally modeled their moves after mid-sized college towns similar to Columbia as an example to follow (in other words if they can do it so can we). People always say Columbia should find a way to take itself to the next level. Well ladies and gents we have lift off, and it has been long overdue!

USC isn't taking over Columbia? I mean yeah we hear about all the events that are going on in the "news", but Columbia was still Columbia before USC became this extremly new catalyst of growth we are now seeing, and still my question is if USC is the vessel used to take Columbia to the next level what's wrong with that? Austin, Raleigh-Durham used the exact same model when those two cities were approximately Columbia's size 10-15-20 years ago (RDU even longer) but my point is use what you have. Charlotte road the banking wave, did people heckle them when they brushed themselves off? Infact when this idea of public/private venture took off a few years ago (2002) both Columbia and USC leaders intentionally modeled their moves after mid-sized college towns similar to Columbia as an example to follow (in other words if they can do it so can we). People always say Columbia should find a way to take itself to the next level. Well ladies and gents we have lift off, and it has been long overdue!

The dapper 'lapper is right; play to your strengths and USC is definitely one of Columbia's strengths. We are just starting to take off and there is an awful lot of impetus from different directions: Columbia is home to a major university, many smaller colleges, the state capitol, the largest army training base with other major bases nearby, a national park, a 50,000 acre lake, 3 INTERSTATES, nearby mountains and beaches and around 120 million people within a day's drive. I think we are just now entering a tremendous phase of growth for the Columbia area.

Look at New York's Greenwich Village as a comparable on a different scale. If it wasn't for NYU and the New School University taking up a big chunk of the Village, it wouldn't be anywhere as vibrant. Staff, faculty, and students alike, all fill up the sidewalks and coffee shops and restaurants and bookstores... Yet, these universites are camouflaged into the general urban surroundings. People walk right by the buildings without realizing they ar in the middle of a campus.

When you walk through the horseshoe in Cola you are aware you are on a campus - that will hopefully not be the case when all those buildings in Innovista contain offices, labs, apartments, shops and all sorts of other businesses also.

I think we are lucky to have such visionaries in upper management of USC. I don't think it's a power game for them, but that they truly believe this is win-win for everyone. Worst case scenario is that nothing happens or not quick enough - then Cola will be left in the dust.

I've also just heard rumors that they want to put on a 'citizen's school' (open for everybody) where urban renewal and its impact will be discussed. I'd be interested in going.

When you walk through the horseshoe in Cola you are aware you are on a campus - that will hopefully not be the case when all those buildings in Innovista contain offices, labs, apartments, shops and all sorts of other businesses also.

I hope that it does not. One of the biggest selling points for USC (when I was trying to decide where to go) was that it was an urban campus, but you could still feel like you were on campus. The Horseshoe is a place that is an oasis from the urban activites of the city. That campus connection added more to my experience there than anything else. I look at the College of Charleston as an example of a completely urban campus, with no real 'campus' like you are descrubing. I didn't really like that as much when I was checking out that college. I'm not saying its bad- only that there are many advantages to having a campus feel while still being in a city- its the perfect middleground, IMO. This is in comparison to places like Clemson, where its either campus or nothing, which I am not as fond of. With USC you get the best of both worlds ;) I hope that this plan does not radically alter this situation

I hope you didn't misunderstand me. I love the campus feel of the horseshoe.What I meant to say was that I don't think the same feel will continue throughout Innovista because of all the other functions those buildings will have. So it won't feel like USC is taking over town, and the campus will still retain it's urban feel.

Maybe with the extension of Greene Street to the river, Columbia could have its own version of Barcelona's La Rambla, one of the city's top tourist attractions. Perhaps Columbia should seriously consider somewhat modeling the new Greene Street after it.

I've been there! I actually have a picture of me at Columbus's statue sitting on the lion's pointing to the new world.! :D

Archived