Innovista | USC-Guignard Plan

krazeeboi

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the block where the law school currently resides. This is the main st, greene, assembly, devine block. If everything goes according to plans, the Law school should be in a new building over on bull st within 5 years. So what do y'all think will happen to the current law school? What should happen to it. It will obviously be a key link between the "old campus" and the new innovista development.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh wow! So do you think Greene Street could have somewhat of a resemblence to La Rambla (on a very small scale of course)?

Yeah maybe but on a much smaller scale of course. I have to take a look at greene st. again. I haven't been back home since december 05. But from what I remember about la rambla it was huge but that was over 10 years ago now.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the block where the law school currently resides. This is the main st, greene, assembly, devine block. If everything goes according to plans, the Law school should be in a new building over on bull st within 5 years. So what do y'all think will happen to the current law school? What should happen to it. It will obviously be a key link between the "old campus" and the new innovista development.

I thought the new building was just going to be a law library...? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it mentioned that there are whisperings that if a deal can be struck between USC and the Columbus Catfish, there may be a joint-use deal in the works between the two, which means that Columbia would get minor league baseball again. Perhaps USC is learning to be a better corporate citizen, and we know that the Catfish are itching to get out of Columbus. Thoughts?

This would be great. :yahoo: And it would be even better for Columbia to get a Major League Team as well. :blush: I'm not the biggest baseball fan in the world, but I know that it would help to make the city I love better. "The Carolina Wrens!" :yahoo:

Those awe-inspiring vicious Carolina Wrens will strike fear in the opposing team. I wonder if The State will print a mea culpa if Columbia ends up with the AA Catfish while Greenville has the class A, Greenville Drive?

I saw it mentioned that there are whisperings that if a deal can be struck between USC and the Columbus Catfish, there may be a joint-use deal in the works between the two, which means that Columbia would get minor league baseball again. Perhaps USC is learning to be a better corporate citizen, and we know that the Catfish are itching to get out of Columbus. Thoughts?

Oh, I can hear people screaming already if the new USC stadium DOES end up being a joint stadium. Most Gamecock fans HATE the idea. (and I actually am one of them...although I'd LOVE for Columbia to get a double A team)

Oh, I can hear people screaming already if the new USC stadium DOES end up being a joint stadium. Most Gamecock fans HATE the idea. (and I actually am one of them...although I'd LOVE for Columbia to get a double A team)

Actually I can't see having a 7,500 seat baseball stadium in a place that promises to bring Columbians to the river in droves with a view of both our skyline and river and not having it be a joint use stadium for all to enjoy. With Mike McGee gone, maybe it can finally be accomplished.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as it's a USC stadium (colors, insignias, scheduling) first, then I have no problem seeing it as a joint use stadium.

I agree.

The problem with the earlier proposal (that got USC crucified by 'the state') was that there was no incentive for USC to participate. Essentially, the city and the Bombers expected USC to foot the bill for the stadium, but to let a private business use it. McGee told the city and the bombers to "go to hell" because it was not fair to the University to bankroll the "joint-use" stadium and not maintain ownership/control.

That said, I'm all for USC sharing our new stadium with a minor-league team, so long as they contribute and do not inconvience Ray Tanner and his boys!

Well if a new stadium were to be truly joint-use, from funding to scheduling, then the minor league team wouldn't come second to USC; both would have to work as partners in the effort. That would be the best route, as the only other reasonable alternative would be to have two new stadiums which would be ridiculous.

Well if a new stadium were to be truly joint-use, from funding to scheduling, then the minor league team wouldn't come second to USC; both would have to work as partners in the effort. That would be the best route, as the only other reasonable alternative would be to have two new stadiums which would be ridiculous.

Right, but with all the Bombers situations USC would have bankrolled everything, and still would have had to share it. City government and the state paper thought USC should have "worked it out" but why should the University subsidize a private business at its own inconvenience?

If we're gonna pay for it, it should be USC-first. You gotta pay to play... ;)

I'm not talking about a Bombers situation; I understood what went amiss there. I'm talking about a minor league team and USC both equally funding the stadium. In that case, the stadium shouldn't cater to one entity over the other and the two should work together as partners instead of the minor league team trying to squeeze in games whenever they can.

I'm not talking about a Bombers situation; I understood what went amiss there. I'm talking about a minor league team and USC both equally funding the stadium. In that case, the stadium shouldn't cater to one entity over the other and the two should work together as partners instead of the minor league team trying to squeeze in games whenever they can.

The 2 seasons only overlap for a month and a half. I'm sure they could alternate weekends playing at home and with the minor league team playing on weekday evenings there should be few conflicts.

This is from the City Council Public Hearing Agenda set for tommorow:

401 Williams Street, 431 Williams Street, W/S Williams Street/USC Baseball Stadium, TMS# 08909-01-01, 02, 03, and 06; rezone from M-1, -DD and M-2, -DD to PUD-C, -DD. First reading approval was given on May 10, 2006.

Council District: 2

Proposal: Rezone property from M-1, and M-2, DD to PUD-C, DD to construct (1) a 7,500-seat baseball stadium at Williams Street, south of Wheat Street, (2) single-family residences along Catawba Street, south of the baseball stadium, (3) multi-family residences behind the single-family residences, and (4) mixed-used development at the parcel surrounded by Blossom, Williams, and Wheat Streets.

Applicant: University of South Carolina.

PC Recommendation: Approve, 9-0 (4/3/06).

Looks like the ball is starting to roll. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

"EngenuitySC and USC will create an incubator for fuel cell companies in the Innovista as part of the area’s effort to transform into a knowledge-based economy.Wilson also revealed that Engenuity is talking with a large national corporation about putting a hydrogen refueling station in the Innovista and talking with an automobile manufacturer about supplying fuel cell cars". This is great news!!!! The article also says that it will be the worlds first planned end to end fuel cell district in the heart of Columbia. I can't wait!!!! :thumbsup:

Great! This is timely, as it John Temple Ligon (yeah, him) mentioned in this week's edition of the Columbia Star:

The state government in California operates 134 hydrogen vehicles, mostly in Sacramento and Los Angeles. There are 22 hydrogen fuel stations, and this year the state has budgeted $6 million for more cars and fueling stations. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has his Vision 2010, which is a plan to have hydrogen fueling stations along state highways by 2010. Here in what Mayor Coble calls Hydrogen Headquarters, or something like that, we have no hydrogen-powered vehicles, no hydrogen fueling stations, and no state plan.

Chtimi, I haven't seen you post on here in some time. Ca va ti?

Fine ! :)

I dare not contribute to the discussion, because you are more knowledgeable than me about your city and its life. However I'm allways reading the news about Columbia which give me "the peach" ! :lol: "to have the peach" (avoir la p

Archived