Innovista | USC-Guignard Plan

krazeeboi

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I think a prominent square/plaza, not unlike Pioneer Courthouse Square in Portland or Campus Martius in Detroit, should be a part of this plan. If not in Innovista, then somewhere else downtown. I've always thought that the intersection of Main and Elmwood would be a good place for such.

Isn't the river front park going to be simmilar?

That's just the thing: it will be a park, and not a plaza/square. Both are gathering places, but the park will be a pretty big open expanse of grass next to the water, which is awesome. I think a plaza/square could still be useful, which seems to be more functional in nature.

• 2 months later...

The cover story of the Free Times (free-times.com) this week is about Innovista. A key excerpt:

To locals familiar with a long-running confidence deficit in the culture of Columbia, the aspirations behind the plan and Innovista might seem like quite a stretch.

That dynamic is practically clich

That's just the thing: it will be a park, and not a plaza/square. Both are gathering places, but the park will be a pretty big open expanse of grass next to the water, which is awesome. I think a plaza/square could still be useful, which seems to be more functional in nature.

Do you think the plaza in front of the art museum is too small for that purpose?

I think so; I'm thinking along the lines of European plazas, on a slightly smaller scale. But I still like Boyd Plaza though; the new sculpture coming will add a nice flair.

I can't wait to see the new fountain...isn't it supposed to be like 40 feet tall? That will look good at that intersection.

I can't wait to see the new fountain...isn't it supposed to be like 40 feet tall? That will look good at that intersection.

Speaking of fountains, check out the Neighbors section of The State today for a look at the new fountain coming to Blossom and Saluda at Five Points. Wow! Columbia is certainly becoming a city of fountains.

• 2 months later...

I know in one of these threads we were discussing the "Centennial Park" name we heard for the proposed new riverfront park as part of the Innovista/Guignard plan. The name could possibly be referring to the Columbia Canal Water Works which just celebrated its 100th birthday.

^ Sure have. I was coming down Assembly and noticed the Horizon Garage, the WB stadium, and the Gamecock Walk condos somewhat resemble a dragon lying on it's back. I know, I know. Y'all are thinking, "Cap'n, put down the crack pipe." The WB stadium is the jaws, the horizon garage is a tongue, and the Gamecock Walk condos are a distended belly. Go look!

Archived