Fastest paced city in the South

Rwarky

Which Southern city is the most fast paced?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Which Southern city is the most fast paced?

• ATLANTA
    • CHARLOTTE
    • DALLAS
    • HOUSTON
    • MIAMI
    • AUSTIN
    • NASHEVILLE
    • OTHER (please specify)

I just moved here from Savannah. Atlanta doesn't seem all that fast to me. Maybe it is, but I dunno. They just drive fast and have more stuff to do. It might be because I have visited Atlanta so much.

That's how I view it also.

BTW, what do most people view as fast anyway? Is it driving, evolving culture, growing pop., etc. Explain please.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I agree Miami, South Beach is where it is :yahoo: . Atlanta is just big and developed. It arent as fast paced as it could be, but thats what helps to make it a great SOUTHERN city. Houston, great place, but it seems as though the people are still stuck in the 90's or late 80's. High top Fades, excessive starch in jeans...great city, one of my favorites in the south but it still has that southern pace. Charlotte, I believe is slow as well. Most of the people think it's on the cutting edge, but its just delusions of granduer. It's not as fast paced as ATL, let alone MIA. Trust me I know slow :whistling: , I'm from Columbia (great city though), luckily I travel alot and have lived in another state. Personally I prefer slow compared to fast. Fast is nice too visit, but it creates an air of slavery to worldly things...always trying to keep up with what is new (recycled); preventing one from every really enjoying and embracing a particular concept :cry: .

90s? high top fades? In my 6 years living in Houston, I have never seen a high top fade. And yeah i wear blue jeans but i just buy them at the store, like a shopping mall type store. That is an interesting assertion about Houston considering it has no truth to it. What made you think of that?

90s? high top fades? In my 6 years living in Houston, I have never seen a high top fade. And yeah i wear blue jeans but i just buy them at the store, like a shopping mall type store. That is an interesting assertion about Houston considering it has no truth to it. What made you think of that?

I simply based my opinion -_- off of what I have seen during my times in Houston, and from the people I have met, and from comments from family that have lived there. Don't get me wrong, all of it is not like what I have mentioned. Houston is a great place, a :thumbsup: nd moreover one of my favorite cities. Its just what I have seen. Now with respect to driving and purchasing power Houston is one of the :yahoo: Top Players. New cars, homes, "everything real big"...thats Houston. Maybe its just some of the styles of the people I have seen.

How people drive and the general pace of a culture; hurried lives.

well i drive really fast. and i'm really laid back. so are most of my friends. to really see the pace of a city, go to their central business district during the day and see what it's like. or check out their entertainment district at night. you can't judge the pace of the city by the speed of their traffic.

lol. I don't think driving fast has anything to do with fast pace. But I do believe the hurried life thing does. For that I say Houston, New Orleans(why hasn't anybody mentioned them), Miami, and DC. I've seen the starch in jeans thing that Carolina was talking about. But I also seen that in Los Angeles and I don't think that's slow. I also haven't seen any high top fades in Houston as well. But seen plenty of waves, braids, and some dreads(Texas is not as big on that as the rest of the south).

I've been to Atlanta. It's definetly not slow but I never got the fast pace that I got in the other cities.

Houston by far is one of the fastest paced city in the South, and I havent seen high tops here, the style here is very flamboyant mixed with reserved. Houston is home to many world famous socialites such as Lynn Wyatt who is the queen of Texas society and abroad has more Chanel from over the past 3 decades than anybody in the world. Houston has some of the best dressed people in the world,they care about every little detail. Dallas also has great style being the birthplace of Neimans while Houston is home to the second largest Neimans.

Miami beats everyone on the list. The city has changed so fast that southern culture is almost non-existent.

Too be quit honest with you, it never had the "southern culture" as you like to call it. This is Miami we are talking about, not Birmingham.

Too be quit honest with you, it never had the "southern culture" as you like to call it. This is Miami we are talking about, not Birmingham.

To reply to that, I work with a Miamian (if that's what we should calls someone from Miami) and he was born and raised in Miami, has a southern accent and admits that Miami once had a tinge of southern culture.

Yes, I agree Miami, South Beach is where it is :yahoo: . Atlanta is just big and developed. It arent as fast paced as it could be, but thats what helps to make it a great SOUTHERN city. Houston, great place, but it seems as though the people are still stuck in the 90's or late 80's. High top Fades, excessive starch in jeans...great city, one of my favorites in the south but it still has that southern pace. Charlotte, I believe is slow as well. Most of the people think it's on the cutting edge, but its just delusions of granduer. It's not as fast paced as ATL, let alone MIA. Trust me I know slow :whistling: , I'm from Columbia (great city though), luckily I travel alot and have lived in another state. Personally I prefer slow compared to fast. Fast is nice too visit, but it creates an air of slavery to worldly things...always trying to keep up with what is new (recycled); preventing one from every really enjoying and embracing a particular concept :cry: .

I agree with what you said. When I went to Houston I saw the same exact thing. That's ironic considering hhow big Houston is.

I'm in NY/NJ and had pizza at the Originals Rays Pizza in Little Italy on Prince St ( I do recommend) . Everywhere in the US is slow compared to Manhattan. Chi-town is like a walk in the park in reference to this place. If you've never been, I recommend one visit.

I don't see any southern city ever attaining anything close to this or most of the NE cities (that's a good thing in many ways).

It hard to say. Ive been to Atlanta and Miami DOZENS of times and while Atlanta traffic moves at a much faster pace (I guess its all those blue-haired old retirees slowing down traffic in SoFla), the people in Miami seem to actually move faster. There are parts of Atlanta where most of the residents are transplants from the North (Dunwoody, Sandy Springs etc) and they tend to move fast as well, but in general people move faster in Miami. I am from DC and I really dont think there is much difference in it and Atlanta or Miami as far as the pace.

As far as nightlife goes...Atlanta and Miami both have fast nightlife...especially for the south and actually for the nation as a whole. Miami nightlife is more well known because it is a huge tourist destination now, but Atlantans often times start on Thursday night and dont finish until Monday morning with their partying. Atlantans also know how to party. Internationally known super DJ's play straight and gay venues EVERY weekend. Hell, there are even a few super DJ's who even call Atlanta home. Its much more like Miami in this fashion than the more subtle nightlife in places like Houston and Dallas.

And Houston is a very hip place...maybe not as trendy as DC, Miami or Atlanta, but I can assure you it is very hip.

Im not saying Richmond is fast paced, but in the following link, you can view Interstates 95 and 195 LIVE! Its by far the coolest thing since sliced bread! Its real live time and your viewing Richmond LIVE! You control the camera too!

The link is HERE Have fun with it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Atlanta is a very fast paced city for the southern US but life in Miami seems to move alittle bit faster i guess because of the latin culture and the touristy glitz and glamor of the city. Southern culture is still a part of Atlanta and is probablly what slows things down alittle. Traffic in Atlanta moves at a fast pace similar to that up north like NJ/NY. DC is also fast paced due the northern cultural influence, it's density, and reputation, I would say the Miami, D.C and Atlanta are the fastest pace regions in the southeastern US and they are also the biggest 3.

Atlanta is a very fast paced city for the southern US but life in Miami seems to move alittle bit faster i guess because of the latin culture and the touristy glitz and glamor of the city. Southern culture is still a part of Atlanta and is probablly what slows things down alittle. Traffic in Atlanta moves at a fast pace similar to that up north like NJ/NY. DC is also fast paced due the northern cultural influence, it's density, and reputation, I would say the Miami, D.C and Atlanta are the fastest pace regions in the southeastern US and they are also the biggest 3.

Archived