PROPOSED Riverfront South

beerbeer

WOW!

Article from the Hartford Courant-

"The Metropolitan District Commission, which in recent years has sought to broaden its role as the region's water and sewer agency, is launching a campaign to create a 6.25 million square foot riverfront development in southeast Hartford - now the site of a water treatment plant, a trash burning facility and Brainard Airport."

Here is the link MDC Floats Plan Down By The River

Interesting ideas..

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, Am I the only one confused? I think we need some more info about this.

Article from the Hartford Courant-

"The Metropolitan District Commission, which in recent years has sought to broaden its role as the region's water and sewer agency, is launching a campaign to create a 6.25 million square foot riverfront development in southeast Hartford - now the site of a water treatment plant, a trash burning facility and Brainard Airport."

Here is the link MDC Floats Plan Down By The River

Interesting ideas..

I'm usually gung ho for almost every single development plan for the city, but I too am confused by this. Something just seems off about it. Maybe it's the fact we'd lose Brainard Airport (where we go for beers after work on fridays), but the plan seems.... I don't know, something sets up a red flag about this. Too good to be true, maybe?

It looks like a really good and very ambitious plan. It also looks to me like the MDC is trying to become a real estate developer!?!? I think this plan would benefit the city and the region if it can get built, however I would regret losing the only airport actually within the city.

I'm usually gung ho for almost every single development plan for the city, but I too am confused by this. Something just seems off about it. Maybe it's the fact we'd lose Brainard Airport (where we go for beers after work on fridays), but the plan seems.... I don't know, something sets up a red flag about this. Too good to be true, maybe?

Honestly I don't think it would be that big of loss, if the airport was replaced with residential and retail development. I'm sure it's nice to have a local airport in town, but Bradley is a stones throw away.

If we lost Brainard that would force a little over 100,000 yearly operations to Bradley....something I'm not too sure would work. I don't think Bradley could accomidate that many more operations, nor do they have the space to put all those planes. Not that it matter though....guarentee you that some of them would end up at other local airports....Plainville, Simsbury, or Meriden. With this plan....I would have to agree with the people who are saying that even though this loks to be a greta idea....maybe it's not the greatest idead for Hartford.

If we lost Brainard that would force a little over 100,000 yearly operations to Bradley....something I'm not too sure would work. I don't think Bradley could accomidate that many more operations, nor do they have the space to put all those planes. Not that it matter though....guarentee you that some of them would end up at other local airports....Plainville, Simsbury, or Meriden. With this plan....I would have to agree with the people who are saying that even though this loks to be a greta idea....maybe it's not the greatest idead for Hartford.

Taylor:

It wouldn't work. The TAXPAYERS would have to fork over federal Funds that Brainard got to remodel the airport. Also, general airports are good taxpayers. What about the businesses in the area (The regional Market and the recycling places -- and the railroad.) and the people who works at Brainard?

JohnnyCake was just closed -- and now Brainard (which is one of the OLDEST AIRPORTS in the USA). DiBella, I am feeling, hates that airport.

Jim

I think the plan is very sound and would benefit Hartford tremendously, more than Brainard does. And there are other small airports in the region that would greatly benefit by Brainard closing. No one that comes to the region will simply stop coming because Brainard is closed, so there's no real quantitative loss in my opinion. I'm still not sure, but I guess I want this project to happen as well. That would dramatically change what people see when driving to Hartford from the south. They would be surrounded by buildings and lights from the moment they entered the city. That would be pretty cool.

I think the plan is very sound and would benefit Hartford tremendously, more than Brainard does. And there are other small airports in the region that would greatly benefit by Brainard closing. No one that comes to the region will simply stop coming because Brainard is closed, so there's no real quantitative loss in my opinion. I'm still not sure, but I guess I want this project to happen as well. That would dramatically change what people see when driving to Hartford from the south. They would be surrounded by buildings and lights from the moment they entered the city. That would be pretty cool.

Hartford Tycoon:

Do you have an AIRPLANE there?? I know 3 people who based their planes there -- and They like Brainard because it is close to their jobs. Maybe to you Brainard doesn't make sense, but to AIRPLANE OWNERS it does!

If Brainard get closed, you'll see a lot of AIRPLANES for sale. Airplanes are taxpayers and Meriden Airport is in danger of CLOSING because of NIMBYs. Plainville is hard to fly in an out of (most of the people from JohnnyCake went there) and Simsbury is in a valley so it isn't the best flying place (a friend flys out of Simsbury and he says it is a pain). Brainard is the best of the GENERAL AVIATION airports in Connecticut.

Maybe, but isn't Bradley planning more expansions down the road? Even if they did end up at other airports, Plainville, Meriden, and Simsbury are at most a little less than a half an hour away from Hartford. Not very far at all.

Maybe, but isn't Bradley planning more expansions down the road? Even if they did end up at other airports, Plainville, Meriden, and Simsbury are at most a little less than a half an hour away from Hartford. Not very far at all.

Bradley is in the process of more expansion as we speak. Plans for tearing down the Murphy terminal (oldest terminal in the country still in use), new terminal space West of Terminal A, bigger and better cargo space, and possibly even another runway are in the works right now.

Bradley is in the process of more expansion as we speak. Plans for tearing down the Murphy terminal (oldest terminal in the country still in use), new terminal space West of Terminal A, bigger and better cargo space, and possibly even another runway are in the works right now.

Nice! Bradley is really getting big now. Now if we can just get some international out of there, that would be awesome.

Nice! Bradley is really getting big now. Now if we can just get some international out of there, that would be awesome.

Bradley really is getting bigger....as far as international out of here there was talk some months ago that the Board of Directors for Bradley were "in discussions" with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines and Lufthansa. I haven't heard anything of it since though.

You won't see those improvments to BDL anytime soon. Earliest would be possibly 2010-2012. Right now the terminal can handle around 10-12 million people without being over run with passengers. The new cargo area will probably be done first possibly in 3-4 years.

You won't see those improvments to BDL anytime soon. Earliest would be possibly 2010-2012. Right now the terminal can handle around 10-12 million people without being over run with passengers. The new cargo area will probably be done first possibly in 3-4 years.

yeah, they said that the cargo area would be first due to Bradley being a hub for UPS.

Archived