Movie Theaters

nj829

Ok, I'm done with this travel brochure. I promise, I do not work for the Arkansas Dept. of Parks and Tourism. LOL

Okay okay I get the picture. LOL I didn't say those other parks are nicer I just said they're more famous. Arkansas isn't the Natural State because we all run around naked. :D I do love Buffalo Nat'l River and I've camped at Erbie a couple of times. It's the best campground I've ever been to anywhere, and it's not even the best on the Buffalo, or so I've heard. I was just telling Mith that the Buffalo has some of the best swimming in the area. I visit our local Tourist Information Center at the Missouri state line every year to stock up on brochures and travel guides. I picked up quite a few for the Hot Springs area and I keep telling my wife that I'd rather go spend the weekend in Hot Springs than in Branson for a lot less money.

BTW, is it true that one of the lakes in Hot Springs was treated to make it more blue or clear? Someone told me it's a beautiful lake but there's no fish in it and that it was done to make it better for swimming and sailing.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Dallas and Plano there is a new chain called Angelika that is more urban but the theatres there are de novo and very pricy. In lots of places they take historic smaller theatres like the old UA theater on Dickson or Capitol Theatre on Main in Little Rock and revamp them. In Little Rock, though, they took an older pre-stadium seating theatre in a good part of town (Market Square off of Rodney Parham) and modestly renovated it and brought it back to life as an art film theatre. I think either finding an older theater in any of the NWA towns or taking over an older one that is retiring from first-run films because it's outdated might make the most sense but I would bet my bottom dollar NWA could support it. Selling cocktails might dictate it needs to be in Wash Co, though, but I suspect that the Fayetteville artsy crowd would be its major supporters anyhow.

Although it's now a live theater, the Rogers Little Theater, or "The Victory Theater" would be a great place to host art films. "The Victory Theater, designed by architect A. O. Clarke in 1927, opened as the first motion picture theater in Northwest Arkansas on Monday, December 5, 1927." Rogers Little Theater is a dinner theater with a balcony that hosts Broadway shows like "Footloose", "Damn Yankees", "A Few Good Men", "Oklahoma!" and quite a few children's stage plays. It's also the most historic motion picture theater in NWA.

In Bentonville, the abandoned Plaza Theatre, located on the Bentonville Square, is an old theatre that was closed in the early 70s. There are a couple of people interested in renovating this historic movie theatre and hosting art films, but noone has acted on it to date. Being located across from the historic Massey Hotel on the Bentonville Square, this would be an ideal movie theatre for art films, and would fit the character that Bentonville is trying to create for it's downtown.

The old theatre on Dickson Street would also be a good location for an art film theatre and would have more support from students at the university, although any of the cities have the means and the support to operate an art film theatre... except maybe Springdale.

The Grand Canyon is very beautiful on a much bigger scale than the Buffalo River. It is the better of the two attractions, in my opinion (and millions of others), but like mith said, they're different types of beauty.

The Grand canyon has the infrastructure and developments to make it a major level attraction. The buffalo river doesn't, and it shouldn't. It's much much smaller.

I've been to the Grand Canyon. It's beautiful, but it has no infrastructure and development. It's in the middle of nowhere and there's very little to do there. Most people just walk around the rim and look down. If there were infrastructure there, they'd have a way to get to the bottom of the canyon other than walking or riding a mule. Very few people have the desire or are able to do that. The only reason it's a major level attraction is because it's located in the west near California, and lots of people like to go walk around on the rim looking down. I guarantee you that people have more fun at the Buffalo because there is more to do there. It's much more accessible. The Grand Canyon includes a lot more land than the Buffalo River, but much of it is remote and not accessible at all. The Buffalo River has more accessible land than the Grand Canyon. Either way, they're both national parks and are both national attractions. The Buffalo has millions of visitors every year. If it were located near large population centers like the Grand Canyon, it'd be just as popular. Location brings people to the GC more than anything. Phoenix, Las Vegas, and all of California are just a hop, skip, and a jump away.

Since we're on the subject of Movie Theaters...

THE MOST POPULAR NATIONAL PARKS IN THE COUNTRY:

Acadia National Park - Maine

Arches National Park- Utah

Big Bend National Park - Texas

Canyonlands National Park - Utah

Carlsbad Caverns National Park - New Mexico

Crater Lake National Park - Oregon

Death Valley National Park - California

Denali National Park (formerly McKinley National Park) - Alaska

Everglades National Park - Florida

Glacier National Park - Montana

Grand Canyon National Park - Arizona

Grand Teton National Park - Wyoming

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park - duh

Mesa Verde National Park - Colorado

Mount Rushmore National Park - South Dakota

Olympic National Park - Washington

Redwood National Park - California

Rocky Mountain National Park - Colorado

Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park - California

Shenandoah National Park - Virginia

Smoky Mountain National Park - Tennessee & North Carolina

Yellowstone National Park - Wyoming

Yosemite National Park - California

But it's okay that Buffalo National River isn't really a Park so it's not as popular as those listed, but it doesn't bother me any because it just mean less tourists and less trash. But it also means less amenities.

In Dallas and Plano there is a new chain called Angelika that is more urban but the theatres there are de novo and very pricy. In lots of places they take historic smaller theatres like the old UA theater on Dickson or Capitol Theatre on Main in Little Rock and revamp them. In Little Rock, though, they took an older pre-stadium seating theatre in a good part of town (Market Square off of Rodney Parham) and modestly renovated it and brought it back to life as an art film theatre. I think either finding an older theater in any of the NWA towns or taking over an older one that is retiring from first-run films because it's outdated might make the most sense but I would bet my bottom dollar NWA could support it. Selling cocktails might dictate it needs to be in Wash Co, though, but I suspect that the Fayetteville artsy crowd would be its major supporters anyhow.

That really does sound interesting. I wonder if they consider a market like this.

I've been to the Grand Canyon. It's beautiful, but it has no infrastructure and development. It's in the middle of nowhere and there's very little to do there. Most people just walk around the rim and look down. If there were infrastructure there, they'd have a way to get to the bottom of the canyon other than walking or riding a mule. Very few people have the desire or are able to do that. The only reason it's a major level attraction is because it's located in the west near California, and lots of people like to go walk around on the rim looking down. I guarantee you that people have more fun at the Buffalo because there is more to do there. It's much more accessible. The Grand Canyon includes a lot more land than the Buffalo River, but much of it is remote and not accessible at all. The Buffalo River has more accessible land than the Grand Canyon. Either way, they're both national parks and are both national attractions. The Buffalo has millions of visitors every year. If it were located near large population centers like the Grand Canyon, it'd be just as popular. Location brings people to the GC more than anything. Phoenix, Las Vegas, and all of California are just a hop, skip, and a jump away.

I don't know Tim, I think if you ask people even around here you might be surprised how many have been to the Grand Canyon. Now I've heard the north rim has very little infrastructure, but I don't know if I'd say that about the south rim. It's almost like a little town at the main entry point north of Flagstaff.

I don't know what you're talking about. There's a LOT of infrastructure. They have shuttles that go from the parking lots to the rims for crying out loud, and there's huge buildings documenting the geological history of the place. There's a huge camping ground that is always packed, a much bigger campground than the ones I've been to in AR....

Why would they build a road to the bottom of the canyon? That would destroy the beauty of the canyon with echoing cars....and it would be impossible. The grand canyon is the most popular national park in the US, according to the travel channel. It's pretty much the only national park I've been to outside of Hot Springs....

In Bentonville, the abandoned Plaza Theatre, located on the Bentonville Square, is an old theatre that was closed in the early 70s. There are a couple of people interested in renovating this historic movie theatre and hosting art films, but noone has acted on it to date. Being located across from the historic Massey Hotel on the Bentonville Square, this would be an ideal movie theatre for art films, and would fit the character that Bentonville is trying to create for it's downtown.

This is part of the Downtown Revitalization plan for Bentonville. I do believe they want to create a place for local films or something like that to be played.

That really does sound interesting. I wonder if they consider a market like this.

I realized my post was misleading. Angelika actually only went into Dallas, New York, and a couple of other cities. I meant that the alternative to something like that was to restore either a historic theater (which I really think is optimal) or to simply do a few renovations on a pre-stadium seating theater going out of line, which is what happened to Market St in Little Rock. The latter gives you more screens.

I don't know what you're talking about. There's a LOT of infrastructure. They have shuttles that go from the parking lots to the rims for crying out loud, and there's huge buildings documenting the geological history of the place. There's a huge camping ground that is always packed, a much bigger campground than the ones I've been to in AR....

Why would they build a road to the bottom of the canyon? That would destroy the beauty of the canyon with echoing cars....and it would be impossible. The grand canyon is the most popular national park in the US, according to the travel channel. It's pretty much the only national park I've been to outside of Hot Springs....

Shuttles are no big deal. The Buffalo has many shuttle services that take you down to the river and pick you up at the end of your float. I wasn't talking about a road to the bottom, but a tram or something would be nice. Pike's Peak in Colorado isn't a national park, but it's in a national forest. They have a tram to take you to the top of the mountain, because the roads are too bad to drive most of the year. The tram ride is very nice and adds to the experience.

Actually, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in TN/NC is the most visited park in the country. It draws people from up and down the eastern seaborad. The Grand Canyon draws people from the west coast. The Buffalo River mainly draws people from the midsouth and midwest, so there isn't as much population to draw from.

Anyway, we have taken this thread way off topic. It's just too easy to do.

Shuttles are no big deal. The Buffalo has many shuttle services that take you down to the river and pick you up at the end of your float. I wasn't talking about a road to the bottom, but a tram or something would be nice. Pike's Peak in Colorado isn't a national park, but it's in a national forest. They have a tram to take you to the top of the mountain, because the roads are too bad to drive most of the year. The tram ride is very nice and adds to the experience.

Actually, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in TN/NC is the most visited park in the country. It draws people from up and down the eastern seaborad. The Grand Canyon draws people from the west coast. The Buffalo River mainly draws people from the midsouth and midwest, so there isn't as much population to draw from.

Anyway, we have taken this thread way off topic. It's just too easy to do.

The shuttles at grand canyon are airport shuttles. The shuttles at the buffalo are run down vans.. The shuttles at the grand canyon are provided for everyone, the shuttles at the buffalo are hired specifically for that person.

eh, it doesn't matter.

Personally I think it is almost impossible to compare the Grand Canyon to the Buffalo...I've been to both and they are on a totally different level. The Grand Canyon is more of a sight seeing trip where you go and can look in the hole and go hiking down the trails...while the buffalo is more for people who want to get away and really experience the outdoors. As far as infrastructe the Grand Canyon has infrastructer, it may not be the best, but when you have a couple million people visiting it get quite crowded. Personally my favorite national parks and one of my favorite places on this Earth is Yellowstone. If you haven't been there you need go, it is an amazing experience.

I hear IMAX theaters have a really good fly-over movie of the Grand Canyon. I hope the new IMAX coming to Rogers will play these kinds of movies, although I don't think it will be a 3D IMAX like the one I went to in Orlando.

How's that for getting back on topic while keeping the National Parks thread going? :thumbsup:

I hear IMAX theaters have a really good fly-over movie of the Grand Canyon. I hope the new IMAX coming to Rogers will play these kinds of movies, although I don't think it will be a 3D IMAX like the one I went to in Orlando.

How's that for getting back on topic while keeping the National Parks thread going? :thumbsup:

I'm just wondering if the IMAX is still coming. I thought I had heard something a while back saying that it we may not get one afterall.

I'm just wondering if the IMAX is still coming. I thought I had heard something a while back saying that it we may not get one afterall.

Go ahead and dash my hopes against the rocks. But, you're right... other than a rumor that BOS Group and Malco signed a deal with IMAX, the truth is:

"an IMAX spokesman said he had no information about an agreement being signed with Bos Group or Malco and that IMAX usually makes its own announcements. Malco spokesman Robert Levy said the theater chain was only in negotiations with IMAX for three possible locations in Northwest Arkansas."

That was nearly a year ago. It would be too much to hope for that NWA would actually get something "fun".

Go ahead and dash my hopes against the rocks. But, you're right... other than a rumor that BOS Group and Malco signed a deal with IMAX, the truth is:

"an IMAX spokesman said he had no information about an agreement being signed with Bos Group or Malco and that IMAX usually makes its own announcements. Malco spokesman Robert Levy said the theater chain was only in negotiations with IMAX for three possible locations in Northwest Arkansas."

That was nearly a year ago. It would be too much to hope for that NWA would actually get something "fun".

They've actually narrowed it down to Pleasant Crossing, but the Pleasant Crossing Malco is on hold right now. It will start construction a few years after the one in Pinnacle opens, and is suppose to have room up to 16-18 screens plus an IMAX theatre.

They've actually narrowed it down to Pleasant Crossing, but the Pleasant Crossing Malco is on hold right now. It will start construction a few years after the one in Pinnacle opens, and is suppose to have room up to 16-18 screens plus an IMAX theatre.

As of November Malco had the theatre at Pleasant Crossing scaled down to 10-12 screens and still had no deal with IMAX. AMC on the other hand has deals with IMAX and the reason AMC backed out of Pleasant Crossing is because they believe having that many theatres so close to each other creates saturation and they would want all the first run movies without having to split them with someone else.

As of November Malco had the theatre at Pleasant Crossing scaled down to 10-12 screens and still had no deal with IMAX. AMC on the other hand has deals with IMAX and the reason AMC backed out of Pleasant Crossing is because they believe having that many theatres so close to each other creates saturation and they would want all the first run movies without having to split them with someone else.

Malco is planning on building a 10-12 Screen theatre in Pleasant Crossing with the intent to bring it up to 16-18 screens. This theatre however, is on hold until the other theatre in the Promenade opens, and it will probably till 2008 when it opens. IMAX will be coming to Pleasant Crossing, I assure you.

Also, Pleasant Crossing never signed AMC on as a tenant, the Promenade did.

Sorry not trying to dash your hopes. :D But honestly I hadn't heard anything in quite a while and I had heard a few rumors so I was worried myself. But I feel a little better with this news that it's on hold. At least it's not officially dropped yet.

Malco is planning on building a 10-12 Screen theatre in Pleasant Crossing with the intent to bring it up to 16-18 screens. This theatre however, is on hold until the other theatre in the Promenade opens, and it will probably till 2008 when it opens. IMAX will be coming to Pleasant Crossing, I assure you.

Also, Pleasant Crossing never signed AMC on as a tenant, the Promenade did.

It's going to take an official announcement by IMAX to get me to believe NWA is going to get one. I can easily believe we'll get any number of new retail stores and restaurants, but IMAX theatres are only going into very large metro markets, like Memphis or Shanghai. Besides, AMC backed out of "Pinnacle Promenade" because movie theatres are not doing very well lately and Rogers will be saturated with 3 large movie theatres so close to each other.

It's going to take an official announcement by IMAX to get me to believe NWA is going to get one. I can easily believe we'll get any number of new retail stores and restaurants, but IMAX theatres are only going into very large metro markets, like Memphis or Shanghai. Besides, AMC backed out of "Pinnacle Promenade" because movie theatres are not doing very well lately and Rogers will be saturated with 3 large movie theatres so close to each other.

No AMC didn't back out of the Promenade because theatres aren't doing well. They backed out because they never officially signed on as a tenant. The Promenade just paraded them around as an anchor, and than they found out and decided to back out.

IMAX is found in plenty of small markets like: Hutchinson, KS, Davenport, IA, Pensacola, FL, St. Augustine, FL, Evansville, IN, Alamagordo, NM, Syracuse, NY, Dayton, OH.

No AMC didn't back out of the Promenade because theatres aren't doing well. They backed out because they never officially signed on as a tenant. The Promenade just paraded them around as an anchor, and than they found out and decided to back out.

IMAX is found in plenty of small markets like: Hutchinson, KS, Davenport, IA, Pensacola, FL, St. Augustine, FL, Evansville, IN, Alamagordo, NM, Syracuse, NY, Dayton, OH.

An AMC representative actually told the media that they chose not to locate at the Pinnacle Promenade because there was going to be saturation and that movie theatres are not doing as well as before, which is why AMC is looking to expand some of their existing theatre complexes with IMAX. An IMAX representative told the media that IMAX was expanding into all the biggest theatre complexes, most of which are overseas. You can go to the IMAX website and see which markets they are expanding into. I didn't see any small markets announced in the past couple of years.

It's not to say that IMAX won't locate here, but it's just not likely... according to IMAX.

I can't speak of all of the cities but I do know Alamagordo is the closest city to White Sands New Mexico. So it probably does get help from a lot of tourists.

• 6 months later...

Archived